Infiniti dealer trying to sell me synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my phone to take a picture of the filter, old oil in the drain pan, new oil container and dash mileage (if I remember). With meta data, that pretty well documents the event for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I use my phone to take a picture of the filter, old oil in the drain pan, new oil container and dash mileage (if I remember). With meta data, that pretty well documents the event for warranty purposes.

You logging and dating the oil change in your user manual has proven all that's required in a court of law.

PEOPLE LEASE A VERY EXPENSIVE CAR THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT. Just a question-

Did you happen to visit the service department prior to "making your deal?

If not-whose fault is that?

Originally Posted By: RichardS
I can’t imagine an Infiniti dealership stocking a synthetic blend 0w-20, so you’re either paying the $95 dealer price for the oil change, getting synthetic oil, and all the other things that come along with that dealership oil change, or you’re doing it yourself.

Several Honda dealers near me advertise oil change specials with the stipulation that synthetic cost extra. Newer Hondas take 0w20 but I wonder if these dealers just use bulk 5w30 or -20 on any car that comes in for the "special." 0w20 comes as a blend or full syn but I doubt these guys bother stocking 0w20 in both flavors. Only time you probably get 0w20 is when you pay for the synthetic service.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: RichardS
I can’t imagine an Infiniti dealership stocking a synthetic blend 0w-20, so you’re either paying the $95 dealer price for the oil change, getting synthetic oil, and all the other things that come along with that dealership oil change, or you’re doing it yourself.

Several Honda dealers near me advertise oil change specials with the stipulation that synthetic cost extra. Newer Hondas take 0w20 but I wonder if these dealers just use bulk 5w30 or -20 on any car that comes in for the "special." 0w20 comes as a blend or full syn but I doubt these guys bother stocking 0w20 in both flavors. Only time you probably get 0w20 is when you pay for the synthetic service.

No. We use bulk full syn 0W20. We don't even have semi syn 0W20 in the building.

Last edited:
0w20 = Synthetic.

$45-$50k+ for a car and $95 for an oil change is too expensive?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: JoelB
You bought a premium car, along with that comes premium prices plain and simple.

Crazy, huh? They probably make 2x the gross profit of a Nissan service department. And Nissan will rotate the tires for no additional charge. The good news is I got a great lease deal with a payment comparable to lower priced domestic SUVs. Maybe it's because the QX60 is getting long in the tooth.

Just ordered some Valvoline full synthetic and a real Nissan oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
0w20 = Synthetic.

confused2.gif

The reason we were able to get the car is we've been frugal (even tight) over the years.
smile.gif

Being able to afford a nice car doesn't mean we start throwing money out the window.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbres2000
Originally Posted By: JoelB
You bought a premium car, along with that comes premium prices plain and simple.

Crazy, huh? They probably make 2x the gross profit of a Nissan service department. And Nissan will rotate the tires for no additional charge. The good news is I got a great lease deal with a payment comparable to lower priced domestic SUVs. Maybe it's because the QX60 is getting long in the tooth.

Just ordered some Valvoline full synthetic and a real Nissan oil filter.

Did you get a new crush washer for the drain plug?

I like to DIY but if you don't Walmart can do it for $50 your choice of syn oil. If you pick your own filter it would be extra.
For Nissan one recommended Nissan approved oil is Pennzoil (such as plantinum or plantinum Ultra) which is a good oil. Keep your paper work in case.

I live in a condo where oil changes aren't allowed but as the previous post stated, you can find all sorts of places that will do it for you for well under half the dealer cost. And....the people who actually do oil changes in a dealership are often no better than their peers at the quicky places.

Last edited:
0w20 = Synthetic.

confused2.gif

The reason we were able to get the car is we've been frugal (even tight) over the years.
smile.gif

Being able to afford a nice car doesn't mean we start throwing money out the window.

Um but you're leasing the car. Unless you have some tax advantaged situation, a lease is close to throwing money out the window. Again I would say you bargain for a prepaid service plan if you intend to just turn the car back in at end of lease. You can easily get 25% to 50% off their first offer. If you don't use dealer service it is an opportunity for them to ding you at end of lease.
Use your time to make more money.

Last edited:
Go to autozone and pick up one of the Mobil 1 specials they have for 29.99 and that includes the filter
They you get a $17 rebate from Mobil 1 for a total cost of about 13 bucks. Better yet, pick up 2 and you have oil and filter for next time and get 2 rebates

Originally Posted By: raytseng
0w20 = Synthetic.

confused2.gif

smile.gif

Um but you're leasing the car. Unless you have some tax advantaged situation, a lease is close to throwing money out the window. Again I would say you bargain for a prepaid service plan if you intend to just turn the car back in at end of lease. You can easily get 25% to 50% off their first offer. If you don't use dealer service it is an opportunity for them to ding you at end of lease.
Use your time to make more money.

So your saying that in order to keep a warranty intact you have to have it serviced at the dealer? You saying a bonafide (from else where) receipt showing all relevant info (millage, date, oil used, etc.) isn't good enough?

Your post is so misinformed on many levels....

http://blog.credit.com/2017/12/7-reasons-leasing-a-car-may-be-smarter-for-you-114081/

Last edited:
I just made an appointment to have my wife’s new Infiniti QX60 serviced. The service adviser says the car uses synthetic motor oil, which makes for a $95 oil change! However, my owner’s manual specifies 0W-20 SN, with no mention of synthetic. (I see where the SN classification applies to both conventional and synthetic oil.)

I sent an e-mail to Infinity Owner Services asking them if I can use conventional oil. Will be interesting to see what they say, if anything.

I'm familiar with the benefits of synthetic oil, but this is a 45K mile lease, and I'm sure the internal engine components would last for at least 200K miles with conventional oil. In fact, in 50+ years of car ownership, I have never experienced an oil related failure, except for maybe a couple noisy lifters in a 1960s Chevy V8.

Comments?

0W 20 comes in synthetic blends also too many brands to list, the dealer may or may not offer a blend, did you ask?

The dealer is usually most expensive do you have an ASE Independent shop you can go to?

TOTO.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Did you get a new crush washer for the drain plug?

Good idea! Looks like it's 12 mm. May have some out in the shop. I used to buy them from Honda for use on my old Chevy project cars.

from the 2017 manual; page 10-7 (if it's a 2018, the language is probably similar if not same)

The engine oil viscosity or thickness changes with temperature. Because of this, it is important to select the engine oil viscosity based on the
temperatures at which the vehicle will be operated before the next oil change. Choosing an oil viscosity other than that recommended could cause serious engine damage.

Your new INFINITI vehicle is equipped with a high-quality Genuine NISSAN oil filter. When replacing, use a Genuine NISSAN oil filter or its equivalent for the reason described in “Change intervals”

You can use any SN 0w-20, but I don't know of a conventional lube that meets that grade. However, it's funny (ironic) that they mention you should "select" a vis based on the op temps, but then only give one grade to select from. As if 5w-20 would make the engine melt and implode ...

Filter? Any "equivalent" would mean just about any brand name filter that is rec'd by the filter maker for that application.

OEM OCIs at 5k miles, with a syn for $95? That's
crazy2.gif

OTOH - if you're not an "informed" shopper, then you'll get caught like this. A cautionary tale; ask before buying (leasing).

Last edited:
I just made an appointment to have my wife’s new Infiniti QX60 serviced. The service adviser says the car uses synthetic motor oil, which makes for a $95 oil change! However, my owner’s manual specifies 0W-20 SN, with no mention of synthetic. (I see where the SN classification applies to both conventional and synthetic oil.)

I sent an e-mail to Infinity Owner Services asking them if I can use conventional oil. Will be interesting to see what they say, if anything.

I'm familiar with the benefits of synthetic oil, but this is a 45K mile lease, and I'm sure the internal engine components would last for at least 200K miles with conventional oil. In fact, in 50+ years of car ownership, I have never experienced an oil related failure, except for maybe a couple noisy lifters in a 1960s Chevy V8.

Comments?

Look at your Owners Manual again.

My Nissan owner's manual says I can use a Mineral oil 5W30 as well as a 0W20.

Most 0W20's are made of Group III through V base oils which makes them considered to be synthetic.

Thanks guys. I may go "old school" and do it myself. Walmart has 5-qt jugs of Mobil 1 0W-20 for $28. Wonder if I need to use a genuine Nissan/Infiniti filter?

You can, and it won't hurt, but no need. Does the manual permit 5w-30 conventional? Others have pointed out that possibility in this thread. If so, do that, but I'd be cautious about the 10,000 mile intervals.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back