Duracell auto battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that my 4yr old auto battery has a bit of acid leaking out the top. It's a Motorcraft probably made by JCI. Thinking about replacement even though it tests decent 590cca. Out of 750 rated I believe. I see a Duracell at Sams made by East Penn for like 105. Is this Similar to the Oreillys Superstart for around 150 or the Duracell at Batteries Plus? Is the Samsclub battery cheapened in quality due to a much lower price?

No idea on any differences in construction, but locally anyway the Sam's Duracell automotive batteries have a 3 year warranty vs. 2 year warranty at Batteries Plus in the applications for my fleet anyway. Having a 50% longer warranty is incongrous with lower quality construction IMO.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
made by East Penn

This is all I would need to know in order to buy it.

My solid-mount engined Harley-Davidson is heck on batteries - only East Penn can handle the torture.

My Batteries Plus has a 3 yes warranty on their Duracell Gold batteries. A group 35 is $120 before 10% discount.

Federated Auto has a group 24F Platinum Plus battery for $99 and 3 yr free replacement. It is made by East Penn manufacturing as well. That's a very solid deal and a everyday price. Not too shabby.

Well my Napa has a group 65 East Penn made battery for $121. 850 CCA, 150 minute reserve capacity. Not too shabby. I'd bet I could get it for $99 at Federated Auto.

Based upon the Napa price for a group 24f of $120. And the group 24f at Federated Auto is $99 with a 3 yr free replacement warranty.

At $105 I would say that is a good deal for that East Penn made battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
made by East Penn

This is all I would need to know in order to buy it.

My solid-mount engined Harley-Davidson is heck on batteries - only East Penn can handle the torture.

+1

The lowest prices I've seen for East Penn batteries are for Deka-branded batteries at Lowe's, but there's a catch. They have a very limited selection and they have to be shipped to a store unless you want to pay for a $70 delivery, where it's still sent to a store and then sent out for delivery. I actually ordered one for my wife's Honda Civic and then just quickly installed it in the parking lot before anyone would tell me to stop (actually they said don't worry as long as I didn't abandon hazardous waste in the lot). They wouldn't accept it for the core refund, but a contact later and they refunded it and told me to get it properly recycled.

It's mostly marine and small equipment batteries, but I think quite a few cross reference to automotive applications. Their standard automotive batteries are marked as "farm equipment batteries" but they're not really. Those are in Groups 26, 51, or 45. So that's an extremely limited selection.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=deka

Here's the Group 45 for $77.98 right now:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deka-12-Volt-600-Amp-Farm-Equipment-Battery/50183729

083996006447.jpg

I have one member of our car club who swears by the Sam's Duracell battery. He is a pretty hardcore "made in the USA" guy.

There are 3 different Duracell batteries, the Ultra Platinum AGM (Best), Ultra Gold (better), and Ultra (good).
The Platinum has a 4 yr warranty, Gold will have a 3 yr warranty, the regular will be a 2 year.
Price will reflect warranty and quality.

I noticed that my 4yr old auto battery has a bit of acid leaking out the top. It's a Motorcraft probably made by JCI. Thinking about replacement even though it tests decent 590cca. Out of 750 rated I believe. I see a Duracell at Sams made by East Penn for like 105. Is this Similar to the Oreillys Superstart for around 150 or the Duracell at Batteries Plus? Is the Samsclub battery cheapened in quality due to a much lower price?

I put one (from Sam's) in the wife's Buick in 2013 and it is still going strong. There was only one "quality" level at the time, and it came with a 3 year warranty, so it probably is now called the Ultra Gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
There are 3 different Duracell batteries, the Ultra Platinum AGM (Best), Ultra Gold (better), and Ultra (good).
The Platinum has a 4 yr warranty, Gold will have a 3 yr warranty, the regular will be a 2 year.
Price will reflect warranty and quality.

Is their Ultra Platinum AGM also made by East Penn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back