Eneos Sustina 0w50 -- VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stumbled across this thread but I find it highly disappointing from an oil for which I had high expectations. Have there been any new developments ?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, I just HOPE that their 0W-20, which I use for blending/thinning is TRUE to it's claimed specs (or at least much closer than the 0W-50 seems to be).

The VOAs for the 0w20 show that it does indeed match the published specifications.

Just for grins, I fired off another email to the same folks I talked to before at Eneos US...hopefully they won't blow me off again.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, I just HOPE that their 0W-20, which I use for blending/thinning is TRUE to it's claimed specs (or at least much closer than the 0W-50 seems to be).

The 0W-20 does shear a bit initially in service but then stabilizes. The light 0W-20(88%)/0W-50(12%) blend I'm running has remained perfectly stable for the past year. In retrospect I really only needed to add about half a pint of the 0W-50.

You have an oil pressure gauge so there really isn't anything to be concerned about. You could run the 0W-20 straight and I wouldn't be surprised if you could just about maintain 50 psi at normal operating temp's. In fact I wouldn't initially add any more than one quart of something heavier such as M1 0W-40.
Just fill to the minimum oil level and drive the car to determine your hot OP. If the hot OP at elevated rev's is lower than you like you have room to add another qt of the heavier oil.

Remember if you pay attention to your OP it's actually very difficult to run an oil that is too light. If you notice the hot OP is a bit low at elevated rev's don't use full throttle until you can thicken the oil up some. Simply avoiding the use of full throttle reduces the viscosity demands on the engine dramatically.

Even with the (factory, in dash, less than pinpoint accurate) op gauge, I still would mix in at least 2 quarts of RL, or M1 0W-40 (my winters are NOT as severe as yours) initially, and then go from there.

We sometimes get those almost 75*F 'January thaw' days where I would not feel comfortable with a straight, VERY thin, 0W-20, regardless of whatever even an accurate op (and/or temp) gauge was telling me.
It's that erring on the side of the 'margin of safety' you are always speaking of.
wink.gif

This is all moot IF I decide to try the RLI 0W-30 instead for the winter OCI.

Not to bring this old topic alive, but would anyone happen to have a copy of this VOA to repost? The image link appears to be missing or I’m just having technical difficulties. I have attempted a few searches and keep getting sent back to this post.

I have purchased a vehicle that has this oil, and would like to do a comparison when I do my oil change.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back