My Suv had a heart attack, too much Bacon? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man that's a trip! My favorite part of the uoa is where the viscosity value says THICK
laugh.gif

The things that stand out on that uoa are the lack of calcium and pretty much any other additive you would find in motor oil. Those low numbers might indicate what was residual from your last oil change.

It probably would take a different lab to figure out what this really is.

So we knew it was thick, not mobil 1, and who cares about the wear metals. You know that's not real, the next change with real oil will show high numbers.

So can they say what it is? Did they confirm this is a motor oil? Or just say not mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: wemay
It appears that wasn't Mobil1 of any kind.

For example all M1 oils have Moly in the 65-85 PPM range.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
So we knew it was thick, not mobil 1, and who cares about the wear metals. You know that's not real, the next change with real oil will show high numbers.

So can they say what it is? Did they confirm this is a motor oil? Or just say not mobil 1?

B-S can't determine the difference between dino and synthetic.

Well it looks XOM is off the hook. Ladies and gentlemen pay attention to the oil you pour out of jugs, it might not be what you think it is. When in doubt stop pouring and check it out.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Well it looks XOM is off the hook. Ladies and gentlemen pay attention to the oil you pour out of jugs, it might not be what you think it is. When in doubt stop pouring and check it out.
wink.gif

Yeah, that's for sure. If seal on jug I buy is broke I'd try to return it or it goes into the diesel Rabbits fuel tank or to start a bonfire :^)

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Man that's a trip! My favorite part of the uoa is where the viscosity value says THICK
laugh.gif

More like [censored] is this?! Oil or road tar!

From this UOA of M1 0W-20 EP UOA , are shown the main metallic additives, in decreasing concentration order, and second column are the values relative to the concentration of Ca, which is highest.
Ca: 963 1.00
Mg: 687 0.71
Zn: 640 0.66
Mo: 73 0.08
Bo: 43 0.04

We should be looking for similar ratios of these elements in the mystery goo UOA to see if it has the fingerprint of M1 0W-20 EP but at a much reduced concentration. The answer that it does NOT have a similar fingerprint. Mystery goo numbers are the following, with the second column values using Zn as what they are relative to since that has the highest concentration. The third column numbers are relative to Calcium since that is what was used in the above set of relative values.
Ca: 86 0.46 1.00
Mg: 59 0.31 0.69
Zn: 188 1.00 2.19
Mo: 9 0.05 0.10
Bo: 11 0.06 0.13

Both columns of ratios indicate the goo does not match the fingerprint of proper M1 0W-20 EP. The third column’s values are a pretty decent match except for Zinc. Boron is a bit off but it’s a squirrelly element in UOAs since it tends to reduce in concentration over time. I could have included Phosphorus too. It’s trend is similar to Zinc’s trend, which is present in a much higher proportion to the other elements in the mystery goo than it is in the proper Mobil 1. If this was due to foul play by some person, it could be due to someone mixing something lacking in additives along with some M1 along with a ZDDP additive. Very strange situation and I hope Mobil is gracious enough to reimburse you appropriately, even though they may not have been the cause of this mess. It’s one of those things where it may be better for them to plead no contest without accepting guilt.

Originally Posted By: JAG
If this was due to foul play by some person, it could be due to someone mixing something lacking in additives along with some M1 along with a ZDDP additive. Very strange situation and I hope Mobil is gracious enough to reimburse you appropriately, even though they may not have been the cause of this mess. It’s one of those things where it may be better for them to plead no contest without accepting guilt.

Only way Mobil would take responsibility and pay is if they can verify there was a problem with that lot of oil, like a major formulation mistake that caused the oil to turn to goop with use. If the jug was tampered with Mobil has no control of that.

Walmart might take responsibility if it could be proven that someone tampered with the jug and Walmart didn't catch it when it was returned, but good luck with that.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
wink.gif

I am not sure they off the ook.. I pour it from their bottle sealed... I between them and the vendor the fault lies. Proving which will be an up hill battle.

Originally Posted By: JAG
From this UOA of M1 0W-20 EP UOA , are shown the main metallic additives, in decreasing concentration order, and second column are the values relative to the concentration of Ca, which is highest.
Ca: 963 1.00
Mg: 687 0.71
Zn: 640 0.66
Mo: 73 0.08
Bo: 43 0.04

We should be looking for similar ratios of these elements in the mystery goo UOA to see if it has the fingerprint of M1 0W-20 EP but at a much reduced concentration. The answer that it does NOT have a similar fingerprint. Mystery goo numbers are the following, with the second column values using Zn as what they are relative to since that has the highest concentration. The third column numbers are relative to Calcium since that is what was used in the above set of relative values.
Ca: 86 0.46 1.00
Mg: 59 0.31 0.69
Zn: 188 1.00 2.19
Mo: 9 0.05 0.10
Bo: 11 0.06 0.13

Both columns of ratios indicate the goo does not match the fingerprint of proper M1 0W-20 EP. The third column’s values are a pretty decent match except for Zinc. Boron is a bit off but it’s a squirrelly element in UOAs since it tends to reduce in concentration over time. I could have included Phosphorus too. It’s trend is similar to Zinc’s trend, which is present in a much higher proportion to the other elements in the mystery goo than it is in the proper Mobil 1. If this was due to foul play by some person, it could be due to someone mixing something lacking in additives along with some M1 along with a ZDDP additive. Very strange situation and I hope Mobil is gracious enough to reimburse you appropriately, even though they may not have been the cause of this mess. It’s one of those things where it may be better for them to plead no contest without accepting guilt.

TY for your your analysis.. Interesting way to use the fingerprint % comparison.

I worked with concrete batch plants before.. In a course of 3-4 years. things fail in the plant several times that cause bad product that you can not tell unless you test for them daily (on big pours we poured 3000+ cubic yards a day, we tested 20+ times) Sensors, valves, scales.. would fail. Things happen. Sure we would stop and reject concrete when they fail but there will be a few loads that gets placed before we notice anything.. long story short, sometimes mass produced items may have quality issues that gets out even with the best QC.

Can someone tampered the oil before/during my ususage.. of course there is always a chance but I would say highly unlikely. more likely for a bad batch of oil..
(yes i note nothing has made the news yet about a mass oil failure)

IF I go off the air and the youtube channel you can speculate that I got taken care of!

Jooksing, yes all products can have bad batches, as you said. Can you get any unused oil out of the jug that caused the mess? If you can get enough for an oil sample, can you at least test its consistency to see if it is tacky?

I wish I could. My car takes 5qts for a change per Manufacturer. I usually put 4.5 and then slowly top off with the rest.
The original container is holding the previous oil change.

New video posted

Last edited:
I’m somewhat surprised nobody at EM hasn’t contacted you with all the social media play going on. I would think they would want the jug and whatever remains back plus take samples for their own lab. In some ways they are missing the ball here. I don’t know if they would offer any financial help but at least get to the bottom of this.

Hopefully, the people at ExxonMobil will test, and provide some answers. In addition, can Walmart check their records to see if each particular oil jug was previously returned/exchanged? Hopefully, it is not a bad quality control at the oil plant where this oil is produced.

It only has a couple of views. Unless it reaches 100k I doubt they will notice. I am debating if I should send them the link with my submission. I do not want to appear hostile. Willing to work with them to figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back