Favorite Small Block of all time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

I say Chevy 4.3.

V6 or V8?

Does it matter? Both are, umm... let's say they're about the same.
wink.gif

Last edited:
The original small block Chevy V8 engine was introduced in 1955. It was 265 cubic inches, which is 4.3 liters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
The original small block Chevy V8 engine was introduced in 1955. It was 265 cubic inches, which is 4.3 liters.

But nobody talked in liters back then. When did all this liter nonsense start, anyway?

But nobody talked in liters back then. When did all this liter nonsense start, anyway?

Probably from the very beginning--I mean, Europe has deep ties with metric, so I'd have expected their engines to always have been in liters.

Well, cc's anyhow, given their taxes.

Yup, and the Ford Y-Block came on the scene in 1954, not to be confused by the Lincoln Y-block which came out in 1952, LOL

The Lincoln engine was 317ci, whilst the Ford one was 239ci.

The 312, which is my favourite Y-block, as we had it in a couple in boats, including one that was ~425HP, didn't arrive until 1956.

The original 1955 Chevy 265 cubic inch/162 horse V8 small block was 41 pounds lighter than the 235ci inline six, plus it got as high as 24 mpg in a full size car. Here is a entertaining promotion video on the new 1955 Chevy V8. It was designed by Ed Cole in 16 weeks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYQfVm0fJc

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

Probably from the very beginning--I mean, Europe has deep ties with metric, so I'd have expected their engines to always have been in liters.

Well, cc's anyhow, given their taxes.

Look at Renaults...8, 10, 12, 16...engine size in decilitres.

UK they had the "standard 8"...8 taxable horsepower...which was basically bore size squared times a constant that was supposed to be based on BMEP and stroke and RPM...when the calculation was developed, it was felt that max piston speed could not be exceeded into the future, thus RPMxstroke=constant was the basis for the taxable HP.

As things got better, strokes and RPM increased markedly, meaning that the engines could do well better than their "taxable" hp...thus the small bore long stroke.

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Ford 351C 4V

Amen!!! This engine sadly came out too close to the end of the musclecar era. Recently purchased a restored 70 Mach 1 with this engine, a lot of fun and the stock exhaust sounds great!

Paul Halstead was an Aussie entrepeneur, who bought all of the Aussie 351 4Vs when Ford decided to stop the V-8s, and go for the F.I. 250 cube 6....he bought them all, and sold them to DeTomaso.

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6450045562/m/6360028562

Edit, there's HEAPS of 302 Clevos in cars around Australia...they sound awesome (and I'm not a Ford guy)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
LS3 in my Chevy SS Sedan. How many V8 Stick shift sedans are available now...in the future?

This. I have the same setup in my 2014 Camaro SS Convertible with +44 RWHP bolt-on mod package. The LS has a LOT of headroom for HP upgrades. Mod to your content.

Ford Trinity 5.8 4V and Dodge Hellcat 6.2.

Both are factory 600+ rwhp engines that with minor bolt-ons and no internal engine mods will make 800 rwhp.
Both are targets the GM LS9 and LT4 fall well short of.

Pretty much every where but the US.

Almost every bike is measured that way but Harleys.

I traveled around a lot as a kid and was exposed to lots of Brits and Euro types.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back