Windshield: sealing crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: nthach
Fuyao/FYG is the only Chinese glass I would trust, but even so their aftermarket line isn't made to the same spec as their OEM stuff. I'll still take FYG glass over XYG or Chinese-made PGW any day of the week.

What specifications aren't necessarily being met by the aftermarket Fuyao glass? It appears identical, is it potentially unsafe somehow?

A very prominent glass installer in the Bay Area has noticed with cars using attached moldings onto the windshield or rain sensors/cameras that the aftermarket FYG uses double-sided tape to attach those, while the OEM piece uses urethane or silicone to bond those to the glass. Seems to be the case in the aftermarket. A friend recently bought a Volvo S60 that was a former Hertz rental and it did have a Pilkington windshield installed. The sensor suite housing(for Volvo's City Safety system) fell off. It was attached with double-sided tape.

Originally Posted By: nthach
A very prominent glass installer in the Bay Area has noticed with cars using attached moldings onto the windshield or rain sensors/cameras that the aftermarket FYG uses double-sided tape to attach those, while the OEM piece uses urethane or silicone to bond those to the glass. Seems to be the case in the aftermarket. A friend recently bought a Volvo S60 that was a former Hertz rental and it did have a Pilkington windshield installed. The sensor suite housing(for Volvo's City Safety system) fell off. It was attached with double-sided tape.

Ah okay, none of that applies to me with my old cars. I don't have any rain sensors or cams, and the moldings I put back myself with Toyota rivets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back