PennGrade oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone. This is my first post since joining BITOG.

I have a 2013 Ford F-150 with the 5.0 Coyote engine. I purchased it as a Certified Pre-owned with 28,000 miles on it a year ago. I now have almost 49,000 miles on it. I've been using the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 at each of my 5k oil changes along with the Motorcraft oil filter.

I was at a muscle car shop over the weekend where my dad's 340 Demon is being restored. I've heard of the Brad Penn oils in the past (The Green Oil) and have always been intrigued, but never followed through with trying it out. The owner of the shop uses PennGrade (formerly Brad Penn) oils in all his restorations and his personal daily driver which is a modern SUV. I asked him about using the PennGrade in my F-150 and he said it would work fine with no issues. He showed me their 5W-20 Synthetic Blend, which meets Ford's spec.

Any thoughts or input on this oil? If it'd be a good substitute and an acceptable choice, I'd like to give it a try. I'm due for another oil change in 1500 miles. Give the PennGrade a try or stick with the Motorcraft?

Thanks for the input and allowing me to join the BITOG community! I hope to learn a lot here!

Originally Posted By: Thunderbolt
Hi, everyone. This is my first post since joining BITOG.

I have a 2013 Ford F-150 with the 5.0 Coyote engine. I purchased it as a Certified Pre-owned with 28,000 miles on it a year ago. I now have almost 49,000 miles on it. I've been using the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 at each of my 5k oil changes along with the Motorcraft oil filter.

I was at a muscle car shop over the weekend where my dad's 340 Demon is being restored. I've heard of the Brad Penn oils in the past (The Green Oil) and have always been intrigued, but never followed through with trying it out. The owner of the shop uses PennGrade (formerly Brad Penn) oils in all his restorations and his personal daily driver which is a modern SUV. I asked him about using the PennGrade in my F-150 and he said it would work fine with no issues. He showed me their 5W-20 Synthetic Blend, which meets Ford's spec.

Any thoughts or input on this oil? If it'd be a good substitute and an acceptable choice, I'd like to give it a try. I'm due for another oil change in 1500 miles. Give the PennGrade a try or stick with the Motorcraft?

Thanks for the input and allowing me to join the BITOG community! I hope to learn a lot here!

I am sure it is good oil but I would hazard a guess it is likely spendy? Likely, imo, there are other, maybe even better oils out there that would be more suitable for your engine at a much cheaper cost, but I'll let others with more knowledge answer that.

Muscle car shop gave me a price of around $41 for a case (12 quarts). Almost on par with what I'd pay for a case of Motorcraft. Pretty nice pricing!!

Muscle car shop gave me a price of around $41 for a case (12 quarts). Almost on par with what I'd pay for a case of Motorcraft. Pretty nice pricing!!

That is a very good price, imo, but I am up here in Canada. If it specs out like you say it did, I'd probably use it too at that price.

Sorry, I can't offer anything else, but maybe do a Google search and see what you can find out about it?

Good luck, and welcome to the site, btw.
cheers3.gif

Edit: This is from 2009 so no idea how much, if any, it has changed since then? https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1555267

Last edited:
I know some people with high horsepower stuff that like Brad Penn. Their junk hasn't blown up. Never used it personally but at that price I would. My local speed shop wants almost twice that for it.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I know some people with high horsepower stuff that like Brad Penn. Their junk hasn't blown up. Never used it personally but at that price I would. My local speed shop wants almost twice that for it.

Maybe what your speed shop has is the PennGrade-1? It took me a few minutes to know the differences in the labels and what was inside the bottles. The PennGrade-1 is the original Kendall GT racing oil, from what I'm told, and is pricey. They now have a PennGrade, which is the synthetic blend I'm considering, and a PennGrade Select, which is the full synthetic.

Ran it in my old turbo car with no problems. It has a little more zinc then normal oils thats why its popular for flat tappet cam use

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
Ran it in my old turbo car with no problems. It has a little more zinc then normal oils thats why its popular for flat tappet cam use

Will that added zinc have any effect on the catalytic converters?

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79

Will that added zinc have any effect on the catalytic converters?

If you are going to run the 5w20 synthetic blend that meets the Ford spec, it may not have zddp in excess of SN limits. For a 2013 Ford Coyote engine, I see no reason to run an oil with higher zddp. That engine has roller cam followers.

I have always heard Brad Penn has little to no detergents, no dispersants, and very little TBN.

It does have EP and AW additives for racing.

It's designed to last for a race............ but not months of time and 1000's of miles like a normal vehicle is used. Meaning, you would have to change it a lot.

The blend oils are not their high ZDDP oils. These are just good SN oils made with decent base stocks and industry standard add paks. If you can get it for a good price, it's fine in a daily driver
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I have always heard Brad Penn has little to no detergents, no dispersants, and very little TBN.

It does have EP and AW additives for racing.

It's designed to last for a race............ but not months of time and 1000's of miles like a normal vehicle is used. Meaning, you would have to change it a lot.

It's the Penngrade 1 oils that are the same as the old Brad Penn high-zddp oils.
Brad Penn was bought a couple of years ago by D-A Lubricants of Indiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back