Not happy with Autolite plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no. There are Autolite Double Plats in the Pop's Explorer. They've been in there for 3 years at least, no issues so far. Makes me worried a piece will break off now..

Originally Posted By: nthach
Autolite is now 100% Mexican or Chinese made, the ones I've seen at Wal-Mart were Chinese for the coppers and Mexican for the rest. Bosch has been making plugs in India for a while.

I don't drive anything that uses Autolite or Champion from the factory - and while I do trust their OEM plugs(Motorcraft or ACDelco), the aftermarket ones might be made on a different production run or line. My instinct is NGK or Denso in almost anything.

01.gif

NGK and Denso make the best spark plugs, and they are made in Japan or USA. Easily the best choice for any car, with very few exceptions.

Bosch spark plugs are good if the car came OE with them. Two cases in which Bosch is the best choice for cars that didn't come with them are Toyota's 1MZ, and the 5.4L 3V that Ford used on trucks from 10 years ago, with that stupid 2-piece design. Bosch makes iridium spark plugs for both applications, and they are made in Germany.

The 1MZ uses 2-prong plugs (NGK and Denso are both OEM for this engine) and is a transverse V6 that it's almost impossible to change them on, so iridium is a must since they last longer (so you won't have to do the job again for a long long time). So in this case, the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion is the best choice since it's multi-prong iridium (it has 4 prongs rather than 2, which should be no problem)

And we all know about Ford and Autolite's stupid 2-piece spark plugs that always break. Champion's alternative is just as bad as the Autolites, and also made in Mexico like the Autolites. Both are platinum type as well. But now, Bosch makes iridium for them, making it easily the best choice for the 3V.

Some Volvos from the early 2000's came with Champion spark plugs, but Champion doesn't seem to make them anymore. They do make an iridium spark plug of the same type, but I'd still use NGK instead.

Also, for cars that use spark plug wires, NGK makes a great set that is numbered and a nice shade of blue
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Two cases in which Bosch is the best choice for cars that didn't come with them are Toyota's 1MZ,

If I'm not mistaken, Toyota speced double-platinum NGK or Denso as the OEM plug on those, and then double-tipped iridium with the 3MZ-FE. Regardless, still a PITA to change the rear plugs on those.

I'm not a fan of Bosch's original Pt/Ir plugs - the newer OE-style design I would be comfortable with.

I’m getting a little lost on the spark plug terminology, but there were two varieties of the 1MZ-FE. The earlier versions like mine have a waste spark system and those plugs are definitely supposed to be the double ground electrode type. I don’t know about the later versions that havecoils on all six plugs.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I’m getting a little lost on the spark plug terminology, but there were two varieties of the 1MZ-FE. The earlier versions like mine have a waste spark system and those plugs are definitely supposed to be the double ground electrode type. I don’t know about the later versions that havecoils on all six plugs.

Waste spark ignition means one coil fires 2 plugs at the same time even though only one of the plugs is ready to be fired, the other plugs spark is "wasted". This means there is increased plug wear especially on the ground electrode and requires multiple precious metal electrode tips.
Coil on plug, distributor, or coil with a single wire is not waste spark, only the cylinder that need it is being fired.

The Europeans and Japanese were/are quite fond of multiple ground electrodes regardless of waste spark or not, back in the days when coil output was lower and cats were relatively they contended that the multiple electrodes prevented misfires better than single ground, whether it did in practice to any significant extent or not I have no idea.

They still use them so I guess they have a reason but for many of the older engines they are not even offered anymore and some only offer them and no single electrode alternative so it would seem its engine specific if they can be replaced with single electrode without increasing the misfire count.

Toyota is using a multi-ground electrode spark plug again on the D4-S engines that use both direct and port injection. Their rationale is "self-cleaning" - if the main ground electrode gets carbon fouled, the spark will also travel to the two side electrodes. Supposedly, this cleans the main ground electrode. I don't see how what would work.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2994588&cc=1443563&jsn=373

I think I've seen those waste spark Toyota engines, there's also a sticker on the timing belt or valve warning to use double-electrode platinum spark plugs from Denso or NGK. Toyota was the first to introduce platinum plugs as OE, my parents had a 1983 Cressida that specifically called for platinum plugs - weren't cheap in 1990s dollars to buy at $12-15 a plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
Toyota is using a multi-ground electrode spark plug again on the D4-S engines that use both direct and port injection. Their rationale is "self-cleaning" - if the main ground electrode gets carbon fouled, the spark will also travel to the two side electrodes. Supposedly, this cleans the main ground electrode. I don't see how what would work.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2994588&cc=1443563&jsn=373

I think I've seen those waste spark Toyota engines, there's also a sticker on the timing belt or valve warning to use double-electrode platinum spark plugs from Denso or NGK. Toyota was the first to introduce platinum plugs as OE, my parents had a 1983 Cressida that specifically called for platinum plugs - weren't cheap in 1990s dollars to buy at $12-15 a plug.

They use that multi-ground iridium on the direct injection only engine too. There was a TSB I read somewhere on how to test the plug in that application / engine, and it ask you to test the resistance between center and ground to make sure it is 100k Ohm or higher (open, infinite). This makes me believe that their low change interval (60k on the 0.7mm center electrode diameter) is due to carbon foul instead of electrode wear.

I recently changed the original iridium Delco plugs out of the 3.4 LA1 V-6 in the Alero. The back three were original at 150k miles..not bad condition either.

I put 6 brand new Delco/NGK Iridiums (made in the States with Japanese parts??) back in along with a set of Delco OEM wires. Big improvement in highway kickdown power and much smoother idling.

They'll be the last ones in, now. The rusting car will run great to the wrecker yard like all old GM cars.

My 2007 Tacoma (V6) specs Cu plugs and Toyota recommends changing them every 30K.

I didn’t change them until the truck had about 80 or 90K. It had 3 NGK and 3 Denso. One side had one brand and the other bank had the other. If I remember correctly, one of the 2 brands’ electrodes was significantly more eroded than the other brand. I posted a thread about it here. I’ll have to dredge it up.

I replaced with Autolite Iridium XP and have had zero issues.

It’s been at least 100K, so it’s about time to change them again.

Well, unfortunately, the pics I took of the NGK vs. Denso for the other thread are gone, thanks to Photobucket.

But, the NGK electrodes were a lot more eroded than the Denso. But, I don't have stock photos to compare the two, so, it's possible that the NGK start out thinner.

Oh, and I looked at my maintenance records - I changed the originals at 90K. I now have 198K on the truck. So, these Autolite XP Iridiums have been in for 108K with no issues.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Well, unfortunately, the pics I took of the NGK vs. Denso for the other thread are gone, thanks to Photobucket.

But, the NGK electrodes were a lot more eroded than the Denso. But, I don't have stock photos to compare the two, so, it's possible that the NGK start out thinner.

Oh, and I looked at my maintenance records - I changed the originals at 90K. I now have 198K on the truck. So, these Autolite XP Iridiums have been in for 108K with no issues.

Those XP's are really great plugs and very reasonable especially since there is always a rebate on them. I've got them in 3 vehicles and on probably another 25 customer's cars and they plain work.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Those XP's are really great plugs and very reasonable especially since there is always a rebate on them. I've got them in 3 vehicles and on probably another 25 customer's cars and they plain work.

Yep. I remember getting the rebate on them back in around 2012.

Had a similar experience with Champion Iridium plugs that suppose to last 100K according to the manual on '13 Wrangler. By about 30K miles vehicle idle was a little rough. Took one plug out and electrode was eaten away a little too much for a 100K plug. The gap was out of spec at about 0.060 inch.

Replaced with equivalent Denso plugs. Smooth idle, no more hesitation and the engine is whispering. OEM Denso plugs on my other household vehicle looked almost brand new after 45K miles, with gap being even a touch smaller than the spec.

I am sure NGK plugs are also superb. But they are noticeably more expensive, at least for my vehicle.

Side note: I've also been using Denso's Platinum TT and Iridium TT plugs and they have been showing to be a great alternative to an NGK at a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back