Motorcraft 5w20 & Royal Purple 5w20, Fusion-Mustan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not my cars.
SOMS (MicroGreen oil filter people) sent these to me to show the particle counts are "low". I guess they are. I'd wager a Fram Ultra could have done as well or better though.
Long oil run for both.
MicroGreen oil filters used.

Microgreen have just provided proof that their filters DO NOT perform as they claim.

Rather, they perform about the same as a Hyundai OEM filter.

The cleanliness codes from the two UOAs they shared above with oil_film_movies are:

Ford Fusion: 17/16/14
Ford Mustang: 18/17/15

Cleanliness codes for M1 & Hyundai OEM filters are:

M1: 15/14/12
Hyundai OEM: 17/17/14

Source: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2531272/1

Here's a quick guide on interpreting cleanliness codes: http://www.precisionfiltration.com/products/iso-4406-cleanliness-code.asp

In short, lower numbers are better.

In other words, a Microgreen filter is only as good as a Hyundai OEM filter.

In other words, a M1 filter is about 4 times better than a microgreen filter at 4 microns, 6 microns and 14 microns.

Seeing that a M1 filter is supposed to be 99% at 30 microns (may have been at 25 microns back in 2011), Microgreen co-founder Assion's claims of the current Microgreen being a 99% filter at 40 microns and a 82% filter at 20 microns seems in the right ballpark.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Fusion air filtration may need checking ....otherwise both uoa's are good and healthy.

I'd argue against the statement that the Fusion is "healthy"... 26ppm iron and 14ppm aluminum in 9k miles?? My Fusion, SirTanon, and I think SilverFusion too (but me and Sir for sure) both have UOAs with much longer OCIs that have wear rates around 1ppm/1k Fe and .2 ppm/1k Al. I'd hardly call 3ppm and .6ppm rates normal... they are around 3 times the wear rate. I don't know how their testing is, but I have MG filters on my Fusion and Odyssey right now and will be posting UOAs when they are due.

Considering I've got literally 100k of UOAs on the Fusion with OCIs ranging from 7.6k to 17.2k, I've got a pretty good statistical wear baseline to evaluate the MG filters against the Amsoil, FU, and Napa Platinum that I've used previously.

I don't know how they tested or the condition of those engines, but I'm willing to bet that just about any filter would have a hard time dealing with that kind of loading over a "relatively" short OCI.

Originally Posted By: LEADED
What no Flashpoint ? Mmost important spec nowaday , ommitted Why

Most important spec? Why is the ignition point of the oil the most important spec? Is your oil in danger of igniting?

Only if he's using it to run as a fuel in his diesel engines....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: zeng
Fusion air filtration may need checking ....otherwise both uoa's are good and healthy.

I'd argue against the statement that the Fusion is "healthy"... 26ppm iron and 14ppm aluminum in 9k miles?? My Fusion, SirTanon, and I think SilverFusion too (but me and Sir for sure) both have UOAs with much longer OCIs that have wear rates around 1ppm/1k Fe and .2 ppm/1k Al. I'd hardly call 3ppm and .6ppm rates normal... they are around 3 times the wear rate. I don't know how their testing is, but I have MG filters on my Fusion and Odyssey right now and will be posting UOAs when they are due.

Considering I've got literally 100k of UOAs on the Fusion with OCIs ranging from 7.6k to 17.2k, I've got a pretty good statistical wear baseline to evaluate the MG filters against the Amsoil, FU, and Napa Platinum that I've used previously.

I don't know how they tested or the condition of those engines, but I'm willing to bet that just about any filter would have a hard time dealing with that kind of loading over a "relatively" short OCI.

Well said. Note the lack of TBN in a UOA that Microgreen they themselves ordered. How can they claim oil will last 30,000 miles and then not get TBN?

But it is the particle counts and ISO cleanliness code that really confirms this filter is not 99% efficient down to 5 microns. Instead it looks like the co founder, Dr Assion is telling the truth when he says since 2013 they changed the materials and it is 82% at 20 microns.

If you order particle counts in your UOA, then we'll have even more confirmation.

I'd argue against the statement that the Fusion is "healthy"... 26ppm iron and 14ppm aluminum in 9k miles??
I'm not sure, but it looks like both the Fusion and Mustang engines were new, so break-in metals actually were normal-healthy.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I'm not sure, but it looks like both the Fusion and Mustang engines were new, so break-in metals actually were normal-healthy.

Might be, but there are WAY too many inconsistencies... like "conventional" oil with a 168 VI? or a supposedly brand new engine with only 2.2 ppm of copper? I'm skeptical, especially since it's a 2016 Fusion and the UOA was done in December '17. Too many unknowns to put any weight in these claims.

Oh, and BTW, neither vehicle followed MG's internal recommendation of 10k, then filter change, and OCI at 30k.... so whoever is proofing their data really needs to educate themselves on the scientific method on how to prove their product claims. Fusion went 9k and changed oil and filter, Mustang went 13.5k and changed neither.... so, they disregard their own instructions when trying to prove the efficacy of their product??

Might be, but there are WAY too many inconsistencies...
True that.
I found it a little coincidental that both UOA's had exactly 26 ppm iron. Suspicious. Doctored results? Nefarious? Not sure.
When SOMS MicroGreen Oil Filters sends me 2 cherry-picked UOA's, we should be skeptical.
Sloppy marketing at the very least.
Notice there are no comparisons to a "control" sample done on another vehicle using a normal oil filter, or, even better, an average from a bunch of taxis in dusty Vegas to compare with.
They must really think we're stupid. I trust SOMS less and less the more I learn about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back