'16 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
Is anyone else alarmed by the extremely low viscosity?

I'd be changing to a different oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It bothers me that the viscosity has dropped out of the 30 range, and that fuel dilution is 3%. 9.3 cSt is the low limit for 30 weight, so 7.3 is 20% below that. Maybe you should talk to your dealer about the fuel dilution, which is also contributing to the loss in viscosity; what is acceptable on the Ecoboost? Is 5w30 the recommended viscosity for the 2.7 Ecoboost? I would consider going to an oil thick enough to keep viscosity in the 30 grade at the end of an OCI.

With this power intensity … likely another engine that’d be on a 40 in Oz etc. ~ if You get two or three 7500 OCI’s to stay in grade ~ one could cut back on the UOA’s …
Guess this is the two piece iron/aluminum block?

I'd either try a different oil, shorten the OCI, or both. The viscosity drop is a little too much for my liking. I'd try a 7,500 mile run next time.

The only thing you need to know about the Oil Life Monitor is how to reset it after every oil change. Continue to use a 5w30 synthetic or blend. Change the oil at 5,000 miles. That 2.7 Ecoboost works much harder than the 5.0

Looks great. I have a 2017 with the 2.7.The block is CGI construction. The truck is quick and gets 20 MPG for me with LT tires. Not bad.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
At least your viscosity of 7.3 cSt is within range for a 20-weight, but I guess your 2.7 Ecoboost is supposed to take 5W-30. For whatever reason, my 1.0 Ecoboost is supposed to take 5W-20, or 0W-20 in cold climates. That's what the book says, so that's what it is getting as long as I have a powertrain warranty. I will be doing UOAs, though.

My guess is that some of that has to do with the sump capacity vs. displacement.

I am not quite making the connection. Does it have something to do with oil temperature?
More oil, relatively, doesn't break down/dilute as quickly.

Ah, that makes sense. My 1.0 takes 5-quarts of oil, and the 2.7 Ecoboost only takes one more quart. So per displacement vs capacity, the 2.7's oil is doing 2.25X more work. Maybe this is what Ford had in mind when they specified 5W-30 for the 2.7. That is, they may expect a 5W-30 of typical quality will break down to the equivalent to a 5W-20. Regardless, if I had a 2.7, I would be looking for a better oil, and maybe shorter change intervals.

For the 2.7, you might start with a 5W-30 with a higher initial viscosity @ 100°C.

The Citgo Supergard 5W-30 starts at 9.8cSt
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 starts at 10.3 cSt
Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 starts at 10.2 cSt

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10002.pdf

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...c-Motor-Oil.pdf

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

Aside from the viscosity breakdown, other concern with these Ecoboost engines is coking due to heat and intake valve deposits. Upon examining some different oil specs and prices, I decided to go with Valvoline Synpower 5W-20. It meeds Ford WSS-M2C945-A, and the NOACK of 7.6% loss suggests a low potential for intake deposits. (5W-30's NOACK is 9.3%). However, it is hard to find current specs to examine coking potential. And finally, I may have no idea what I am talking about. I am a mechanic, but not an oil expert.

I run Mobil 1 AP 5w30 in mine, 11.7 cst, SA of .08, low pour point numbers and high flash point. I'll take it for an extra $20 a change and go by the oil life monitor. Hope to a UOA to share when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: spj
I run Mobil 1 AP 5w30 in mine, 11.7 cst, SA of .08, low pour point numbers and high flash point. I'll take it for an extra $20 a change and go by the oil life monitor. Hope to a UOA to share when the time comes.

Does that Mobil 1 AP last so long that you would change the filter out once or twice before changing the oil?
I bet it is a very good oil, but it's not cheap! $22 for my Valvoline Syn vs $40 for M1 AP.
I'd rather just change the oil and filter a little more often, but that's just me. The Motorcraft filter only costs $4, so it ends up being a $27 oil change after taxes. I might do it twice per year, and I am fine with that.

Not a bad plan at all. Not changing my own makes the ap a little more appealing due to georgraphics. I will not likely put 10,000 miles on in one year and will change the oil at that point while under warranty.

Last edited:
My oil life appears to track around 10,000 miles just as my 15 Explorer does. That said I only have 9,000 miles on my truck. First change was at 2,500 and put synpower in it and it ran fine. OLM was around 40 percent or so when I dumped it.

With our commuting 0% generally is 9,000-10,000 mi. I also ran the factory fill until the IOLM took me to close to 0%.

I really don't understand the fuss with the lower viscosity with wear metals in-check, if I had lower viscosity and elevated wear metals there obviously would be reason to shorten the OCI.

I’ve owned a 2010 F350 with the V10, a 2013 Explorer with the NA 3.5ltr and now this F150 with the Ecoboost. Ford’s OLM have generally tracked to 10,000 miles per change like clock work and the UAO’s I’ve performed (all posted here) have always tracked well against the OLM. I get the sense the OLM in my F150 is more “intelligent” (my words; not Ford marketing) as I’ve seen my OLM drop towards 6,500 miles when I’m doing a lot of idling (over 20%). So in general I think Ford’s OLM targets a maximum of 10,000 miles and is accurate for most owners. And at least some vehicles now have a better OLM to track idling and other “harsh” conditions and will adjust the cycle accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back