Fram Ultra XG9972 defective out of box

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is sure. The number of Fram oil filter failures pale in comparison to the steady stream of Purolator oil filter failures.

Also, Fram has demonstrated a high willingness to work with the customer.

Originally Posted By: benjy
fram filters have always been poor, + prolly still are!!!

Actually they haven't. Just some junk science marketing and Internet junk science saying they were 'poor'.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
One thing is sure. The number of Fram oil filter failures pale in comparison to the steady stream of Purolator oil filter failures.

Also, Fram has demonstrated a high willingness to work with the customer.

Exactly
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Karma is usually not this fast. Maybe I do believe in it.

You must have anti-Fram voodoo rituals going on at your house, that's how you come across.

Nothing but Fram Ultras have been on all four of my cars for the last 3 years. Sorry you lose. A bad filter is a bad filter. I only Fanboy Redline ATF's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I was able to inspect my Ultra's at Walmart they had three on the shelf. In fact one of them turned out not to be an XG can it was an Ultra that contained a Tough Guard. Someone got a self generated Ultra sale.

Someone before you definitely popped the seals. All untampered with Ultras have that circular plastic seal. The old ones had the entire box shrink wrapped.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
Amazon and sealed and fulfilled by Amazon.

They will replace it for you at no cost and send you a shipper to send it back for free!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Karma is usually not this fast. Maybe I do believe in it.

You must have anti-Fram voodoo rituals going on at your house, that's how you come across.

Nothing but Fram Ultras have been on all four of my cars for the last 3 years. Sorry you lose. A bad filter is a bad filter. I only Fanboy Redline ATF's.

If you're talking to me, you're not following the discussion. I was responding to goodtimes.

Amazon and sealed and fulfilled by Amazon.

They will replace it for you at no cost and send you a shipper to send it back for free!

I would rather have Fram get it. That I would think is more important. We could swap out filters for it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
That is why you open the box before you ever buy if its not and online buy. So now you have to ask was this an online buy or a lazy buy?

What sucks about Ultras,is that the boxes are sealed,so you'd have to pop the seal to inspect it. Unless the can style Ultras are the only ones that are sealed.

I was able to inspect my Ultra's at Walmart they had three on the shelf. In fact one of them turned out not to be an XG can it was an Ultra that contained a Tough Guard. Someone got a self generated Ultra sale.

Same here. I was looking through the Ultras and found a TG in one of the Ultra boxes.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That is why you open the box before you ever buy if its not and online buy. So now you have to ask was this an online buy or a lazy buy?

Good point. I always check if I buy from a store. I've found used, damaged, and mislabeled goods in boxes more times than I can count. In my local WMT store I wouldn't be one bit surprised if someone opened a box and messed with the filter, then put it back. Something you can't do to a spin on filter's media. FTR I'm not defending Fram. When I see more reports like this I'll be concerned, and any brand loyalty for Fram goes right out the window.

There is no glue on the lose half, plain a simple.

Ok. You bought it online, AMZN is great for handling returns, send it back. Defects are a fact of life, so are people tampering with things unfortunately.

Yes, errors occur in mass produced products. That said, seen enough of the post use FU cartridges in a similar state to topic posted here, that I don't put them in the class as the FU spin on. 'Perhaps' this lends evidence to similar appearing post use FU cartridge anecdotes not 'all' being over torqueing of housing cap or installer error as has been posited by some as the reason in the past.

This one negative to buying a filter online for delivery. Can't inspect the filter prior to purchase. Even with sealed item, at store you can cut seal open and inspect at check out, prior to leaving the store.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

This one negative to buying a filter online for delivery. Can't inspect the filter prior to purchase. Even with sealed item, at store you can cut seal open and inspect at check out, prior to leaving the store.

That's the only downside. OTOH if you're dealing with a reputable business like AMZN they'll make good on it. I buy filters online typically in lots of three to six, and inspect them upon delivery. The odds of everyone of them being bad is slim to none. If one is bad I can still change my oil and wait for the replacement filter to come.

I have found people swap out the Ultra and put into the OCOD box, to pay less money. I have found OCOD's in Ultra boxes with the tamper sticker damaged.

the XG10600 is a $30 filter, vs about $15 for the PH10600.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's been discussed that Ultra cartridge filters may not be as well established as other models.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Pretty sure it's been discussed that Ultra cartridge filters may not be as well established as other models.

You are correct. It has been discussed.

Thank You ZeeOSix for getting me to the right guy ASAP, without the corporate phone shuffle.

I left a message for Jay this morning and received a call about 2 hours later. Jay was very happy I called and want to get his hands on this filter for a quality control investigation. In no way would I send this back to Amazon and have it thrown in the trash. I am sending it out to Jay tomorrow and in turn I will be getting some filters.

I am in commercial printing and know all about manufacturing and "stuff happens".

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
... 'Perhaps' this lends evidence to similar appearing post use FU cartridge anecdotes not 'all' being over torqueing of housing cap or installer error as has been posited by some as the reason in the past. ...
Assuming the housing for this XG9972 filter model functions the same as that for the --10358 Frams, "overtorqueing of housing cap" is irrelevant. Once the cap bottoms out against its shoulder, axial force against the cartridge is controlled by the springs in the cap, not by the torque applied to the cap. That force is roughly 7 pounds on the xx10358.

^^^I don't doubt your information. I was simply recounting some of the reasons/explanations that I've read on this sub forum when similar appearing post use Fram/FU cartridge anecdotes have been posted. Then saying based on this anecdote, those explanations may not be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back