Why synthetics...?? this is why..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Ok, now let's see the same engine on Conventional oil which has the same API ratings.

Probably won't look that clean. Lol.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Ok, now let's see the same engine on Conventional oil which has the same API ratings.

Probably won't look that clean. Lol.

If my MDX after 2 years of conv or semi-synth [previous owner] is any indication....... no it doesnt.. LOL

I posted this a few times. Here's a pic from a Buick Century I had. My father owned it since new and it was meticulously maintained, I have every invoice to prove it. Dino oil, brand names, dealer and local garage serviced like clockwork every 3K miles, sometimes a bit less. IIRC it had about 80K miles when this pic was taken. No mechanical issues whatsoever, just a mess of varnish. I was successful in cleaning it up. It now resides in CA has about 140K miles on it and runs like a champ.

I think synthetic oil would have done much better.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I posted this a few times. Here's a pic from a Buick Century I had. My father owned it since new and it was meticulously maintained, I have every invoice to prove it. Dino oil, brand names, dealer and local garage serviced like clockwork every 3K miles, sometimes a bit less. IIRC it had about 80K miles when this pic was taken. No mechanical issues whatsoever, just a mess of varnish. I was successful in cleaning it up. It now resides in CA has about 140K miles on it and runs like a champ.

My sisters 2002 Buick V6 has about 120K on it. She has had the OC done at Valvoline quick lube(5-30 dino) every 5K except 2-3 I have done for here. There is varnish in the cam area like yours.

Synthetic WOULD have done much better.

But don't tell them here. They don't want to hear it

I think it goes without saying. A synthetic will keep things cleaner, yes. But if the vehicle is maintained properly using conventional oil to spec, it will last just as long. It will not be as clean but only Bitogers care about that to an extreme. Lol.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Synthetic prices are so good these days it's hard to justify NOT using it, especially in climate extreme areas.

And this is why I get such a laugh from dealers who charge 24.95 for an oil change with dino, but 99.95 for an oil change with synth.

Same amount of labor, which means the oil cost almost 4x the amount? I dont think so!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Synthetic WOULD have done much better.

But don't tell them here. They don't want to hear it

I know, I used the word "think" for a reason. I was trying to avoid going there. lol
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: pantygnome
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Synthetic prices are so good these days it's hard to justify NOT using it, especially in climate extreme areas.

And this is why I get such a laugh from dealers who charge 24.95 for an oil change with dino, but 99.95 for an oil change with synth.
Same amount of labor, which means the oil cost almost 4x the amount? I dont think so!

That stands out for me, too...funny thing is the techs at those places will often tell customers the myth that they cannot go back to dino after using synth, which will tend to scare people off from the more expensive change (assuming they are told ahead of time!).
I also get a kick out of automatic car washes that will have a maybe $9 basic wash and then options ranging up to a, say, $16 ultra premium wash that lasts about 20% longer than the cheapest one. I will admit to usually being lazy and going for the priciest one so I will be sure of getting an undercarriage wash without having to read through the options...often that wash will have products with funny colors that also make my time sitting in the car more entertaining.
;^)

I have seen several motors opened up with several run on conventional and several run on synthetic all of them were well taken care of. I find that yes the synthetic seems to keep the varnish lower or less although I agree that a car will run just as long on conventional and frankly the motors I have seen run on conventional look just fine inside. My mother put 300,000 on a Buick with the 3.8 V6 on Formula Shell conventional changed at around 5,000 miles. When we had the valve cover gaskets changed the inside looked great! Clean no sludge although all metal parts were slightly tarnished or darker then you would find running a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: jj51702
Originally Posted By: tig1
My 2007 Fusion 2.3 has 214K miles and the cam area looks like new at 10K OCIs. Runs like new as well. M1 0-20.

Lol good ol tig1 the Mobil 1 parrot. Will show up in any thread regarding engines with their valve covers off.

I appreciate Tig1's posts and insight.

I'm not sure who exactly you are, nor why you would think it appropriate to post such an unusually abrasive response.

Our old 3800 was spotless inside at 196K when it was totaled. It had 3K mile OCIs of conventional from the dealer for the first 100K, then we switched to 10K intervals with M1 once I was able to start changing the oil (and knew better). That engine the day the car was towed away was spotless when I started tearing into it. There was zero sludge and no noticeable varnish either. In an "old school" engine like that conventional is fine at decent intervals, but these new engines really need at least a semi-synthetic with the higher temperatures, timing chains, etc.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
My 2007 Fusion 2.3 has 214K miles and the cam area looks like new at 10K OCIs. Runs like new as well. M1 0-20.

Lol good ol tig1 the Mobil 1 parrot. Will show up in any thread regarding engines with their valve covers off.

I'm not sure who exactly you are, nor why you would think it appropriate to post such an unusually abrasive response.

+1

Um... I think anyone who frequents BITOG knows maintenance > syn/blend/conventional

From there, Syn lasts longer and keeps thing cleaner, but doesn't mean conventional is [censored].

Is there a conventional oil versus synthetic oil war going on? Haha.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

+1

Yes JJ seems to have his head buried in a pile of something!

Originally Posted By: 2K2AcuraTL
Brought in my 2002 TL-P for its first valve adjustment maintenance @ 132,000 km...
nothing but synth since day 1..

132,000 km = 82020 miles = NOTHING to brag about (even with 100% conventional oil)

Yawn.

Okay, so what if I told you that our long departed '86 Civic was just as clean or maybe cleaner at 90K miles using 10W-40 conventionals available from 1986 through 1990?
Nothing magical about Grp III oils although most are pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back