Best Auto Store Brand of Brake Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O'Reilly Ceramic on the Volvo 245. No noise, tiny amount of dust, excellent low speed grab and high speed grab, no fade on long decents. I just returned from Newfoundland with the 240 heavily loaded. The pads were installed just before I left. Have also used PBR Deluxe Ceramics from AAP with similar results. Hope this helps.

Sam

I always lean towards OEM for brakes but that being said the best auto store brand I had used was Durlast G-max gold. Great stopping power and low dust etc.

The last house brand pads I've used were Perfect Stop, a re-badge of Wagner's QuickStop series for Parts Master-affiliated parts houses. They seemed to work OK. Federated does the same thing as well.

Supposedly Bosch makes O'Reilly's house brand, and MAT's Roulunds makes Duralast at their Chinese or Indian plants.

Thing with "store brand" parts is one manufacturer may produce them this year and a different manufacturer may make them next year. They may have more than one supplier for different models, years, and so on.

Well it sounds like the OP scored a good deal on some quality pads, but the recommendations keep rolling in. I might as well throw in my recommendation for NAPA Adaptive One's. Had to make a panic near-stop this weekend on the highway, Honda Pilot was controlled and safe. Family and driver behind me weren't too happy about it, but at least, no accident. Nearly new tires didn't hurt my stopping distance, either.
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
never really mattered to me. I normally put the cheapest house brand i can get depending on the owner's budget. Most of the time, i'm on the "i need it done today" so its AAP Gold or silver.

They all work once bedded in correctly.

Bowlofturle hits it on the head. There may be slight differences in feel and amount of dust, but the brake job and bedding is more important than the brand of pad. I would add, lube properly with a brake qualified grease, and check runout on the rotor. You know, just like the FSM says to, but everyone ignores.

If I can get them I always go to Bendix brakes. I felt I always stopped the quickest over Wagner, Raybestos, Advance Auto, or AutoZone.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
If I can get them I always go to Bendix brakes. I felt I always stopped the quickest over Wagner, Raybestos, Advance Auto, or AutoZone.

I just purchased some Bendix pads that are marketed as being "copper free". I couldn't find much user experience about the line but it looks like that is going to be a big push in the next few years. I haven't had a chance to install them yet so have not formed any opinions.

Regardless, I believe the Bendix name is owned by Honeywell - a company that does not manufacture brake pads. A few years ago Honeywell granted MAT Holdings, Inc. an exclusive license to use the Bendix name/trademark on automotive braking products that are sold in the United States.

MAT Holdings, Inc. is a privately held, globally diversified manufacturing, marketing, and distribution company. More at their web site:

http://www.mat-holdings.com/about.php

Originally Posted By: Cressida
I just purchased some Bendix pads that are marketed as being "copper free". I couldn't find much user experience about the line but it looks like that is going to be a big push in the next few years. I haven't had a chance to install them yet so have not formed any opinions.

Regardless, I believe the Bendix name is owned by Honeywell - a company that does not manufacture brake pads. A few years ago Honeywell granted MAT Holdings, Inc. an exclusive license to use the Bendix name/trademark on automotive braking products that are sold in the United States.

MAT Holdings, Inc. is a privately held, globally diversified manufacturing, marketing, and distribution company. More at their web site:

I saw those Bendix copper-free pads on Rock Auto. Where were your pads made?
smile.gif

Bendix was bought by Allied-Signal. Fram was bought by Allied-Signal. Honeywell was bought by Allied-Signal, and then A-S took the name Honeywell, because they thought it was a better name. Bendix was still making brakes at the time of the takeover, not sure about after that.

Looks like the AAP pads are made by GRIE Heavy Duty (saw this on the online invoice that I received). I had not heard of them, but there are may of these "house branded" pads which are made by OEMs. So far they have been great; low dust and very good stopping power.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Bendix was bought by Allied-Signal. Fram was bought by Allied-Signal. Honeywell was bought by Allied-Signal, and then A-S took the name Honeywell, because they thought it was a better name. Bendix was still making brakes at the time of the takeover, not sure about after that.

Honeywell left the automotive aftermarket almost entirely save for Bendix Mintex in Australia who makes Repco/Axxis/PBR brake pads and Garrett turbos.

Fram, Autolite and Prestone are standing on their own. MAT Holdings bought the US/Canadian/Mexican rights to the Bendix aftermarket brake brand and Federal-Mogul owns the European rights. Bosch bought out the OEM side of Bendix in the late 1990s.

MAT also owns Rolunds Braking, supposedly AutoZone's Duralast series are made by them in China or India.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back