standard, gold, platium brake pads??? Marketing gimmick?

So every auto parts store has 2 or 3 grades of pads, among alot of other things. Isn't a semi metallic pad a semi metallic pad? There has to be some kind of standard, how I don't see how they can make a low grade pad and a high grade pad.

Opinions?

There can be many different materials in a single brake pad, though copper is being phased out. There are cheaper and more expensive pads even with name brands.

For example, Wagner has the Quickstop, Thermoquiet, and OEX. All three have been made in semi-metallic and ceramic.
Raybestos has the R-line, the popular EHT pads, and a few others.

The real problem with house brand pads is that you don't know who made them or what kind of quality they are :cautious:

Not even close. Huge differences in friction formulation, differences in shims and hardware as well, and often a different manufacturer. Take Advance Auto Parts as an example. The standard (used to be silver) pads are made by FDP and are available in organic and semi-metallic. They will likely stop the car for a period of time but no guarantees as to how long they will last or how much noise or dust they will make. Golds are made by a multitude of manufacturers, some are GRI, some are Sangsin, some are Wagner, and are available in whatever the vehicle was originally equipped with (semi-metallic, ceramic or organic) and sometimes an alternate formula. They often include hardware and are a middle of the road pad. Platinum are GRI and available however the car was equipped as well as sometimes an alternate compound. Always include hardware and have a 4 layer shim for noise reduction.

So every auto parts store has 2 or 3 grades of pads, among alot of other things. Isn't a semi metallic pad a semi metallic pad? There has to be some kind of standard, how I don't see how they can make a low grade pad and a high grade pad.

Opinions?
How long did your OEMs last? “Most” aftermarket ones don’t last that long, and if they offer increased braking ability they will usually create more dust. Some take more heat to work as expected, and some are just flat out miserable choices.

That said, I’ve had some decent luck with EBC Ultimax, but considering my OEM pads and rotors have gone nearly 80k on my F150 and still have no issues… Since I don’t drive like a dbag I’m going to roll the dice and stick with OEM. If you’re buying parts store stuff, buy a good name brand and roll the dice. 👍🏻

Opinions?

I used the CarQuest Platinum pads/rotors on a Nissan Rogue from Advance Auto. They lasted as long as OEM, were quiet, and performed well. To me, it made since to invest a little extra into components that are replaced so infrequently. Plus, for a novice like myself, it's a lot of work to replace all of the rotors/pads and I wanted to minimize the chance of having problems post install.

Last edited:
20 some years ago when I worked at a parts store semi metallic was the mid grade. Below that we had organic pads, and above that it was just premium.
I think the premium was ceramic, can't remember though. I remember the organic pads because nobody wanted them. These were Wagner products.

i just buy cheap-ish ceramic pads from rockauto, for my cars. they need a little heat to have a nice progressive bite, but i can lock up my tires with them stone cold, so they're good enough for me. i also buy nicer pads for the front brakes than for the rear brakes.

i think i bought centric ceramic pads for the front and no name $6-for-a-set for the rear last time I did brakes

Brake pads are all the same just like tires are all the same. They're all black and round so what difference could there be?

This guy is a bit of corporate shill, so take it with a grain of salt, but according to his video there is no difference between expensive and cheap parts store pads.

I'm sure it doesn't apply to all parts store lines, but my takeaway would be - just because you got the most expensive ones doesn't mean they are actually better.

Last edited:
Am a fan of the Advance Auto Standard/Silver line, particularly for shoes. I usually have problems with corroded hardware or leaking wheel cylinders before linings wear out, and I like how the semi-metallic material sweeps drums (or rotors) clean of rust. I've even had (unknown) shoes glaze over, with nobody ever noticing, until I got the car and noticed an ineffective e-brake.

Would they fade under hard use? Maybe, but that's now how I drive.

Back