Why will no one take/recycle used coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we lived in the country, we just added old coolant or whatever to the burn pile of wood and limbs and added 5 gallons of kerosene and lit it off, Kerosene does not burn fast is safer to use...all gone..

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My Town's Recycling Center accepts used automotive coolant along with old cans of paint(house paint) and other chem's....old computers, TVs & electronics. Look them up online if you have a recycling center in your area.

My town does a household waste thing twice a year, but everything has to be in the original container. Which doesnt work if you buy 100% coolant bottles and mix it to 50/50. And really doesnt work if you flush the system.

Originally Posted By: old1
Yes, here the proper disposal is down the sanitary (not storm) sewer drain.
Thanks old1, I didn't know that. Do you know where several gallons of brake fluid can disposed of in the Columbus area?

Brake fluid I don't know for sure. Have you asked at the oil recycling place at the land fill (AKA the dump). That is where I take my oil, and I think they said they take anything that is combustable. Unless it was somebody else that told me that when I was trying to find somebody to take a big bucket of carburetor cleaner. Which I still have.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Auto parts store don't take your used oil to be nice.. They sell it. It should be worth a little over $1 a gallon IIRC. I've never heard of one taking coolant.

According to their FAQ, some O'Reilly's accept used coolant.

"What do I do with old antifreeze?

Always properly dispose of old antifreeze. Never pour it down the drain or throw it in the trash. Most cities have public recycling divisions that accept used antifreeze. Check your city’s local website to find out if they accept used antifreeze. Likewise, your local O'Reilly store may offer recycling services for antifreeze. Check our store locator to find more information on the services offered at your nearest O'Reilly Auto Parts."

No auto parts store here accept antifreeze. Several cities have arrangements at their dumps, but if one lives in the county, one must go to a transfer station a long ways from most everywhere. It is not a publicly-declared thing whether or not the sewer system(s) can digest antifreeze (and whether it is therefore acceptable to flush it down the toilet).

If one has a good relationship with a repair shop, or as in my case a dealership's parts or service department, one can sometimes arrange for them to accept the used antifreeze.

The original question was never really answered. What is the chemistry that causes so much of a problem, that coolant is not accepted by so many shops? Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The original question was never really answered. What is the chemistry that causes so much of a problem, that coolant is not accepted by so many shops? Ed

If you have the answer it'd be appreciated.

I could ask why is it more difficult to find a place that accepts ATF or gear oil vs. motor oil for recycling? Autozone is the only FLAPS that accepts these, and they don't take automatic transmission filters for recycling.

Or why O'Reilly is the only FLAPS that accepts used oil filters for recycling - but no automatic transmission filters?

I'm confident this is all driven by corporate philosophy & direction on how much added value for the customer offering such services is perceived to add to repeat business, which is most likely very difficult to quantify. For me it really doesn't play into my purchase decision making. I take the waste to whoever accepts it.

Growing up there weren't always places to take such waste as a DIY guy. At least municipal avenues for recycling such waste exist today, which clearly require public taxpayer support and an economy of scale for availability. I remember the first TV commercials for motor oil in gallon plastic jugs instead of quart cans had a hook of how easy it was to set the jugs filled with used oil next to the garbage cans at the curb to be thrown in the same garbage truck as other household waste and disposed of in the local landfill as a value added convenience feature.

Last edited:

Nothing with the chemistry, probably because most people just drop it to the ground. How are you supposed to catch all the water from a coolant flush?

You could sneak in the dark, dressed as a ninja and leave at their back door.

Last edited:
Coolant is a POISON CANDY for pet. Ingested in very small amounts causes a very painful death. I lost my cat this way many years ago when only few teaspoons were spilled on my driveway. Ed

Coolant is a POISON CANDY for pet. Ingested in very small amounts causes a very painful death. I lost my cat this way many years ago when only few teaspoons were spilled on my driveway. Ed

And cats can't taste sweet or bitter - even though Bitrex is added to coolant it really doesn't prevent poisoning for both animals and humans.

My local water agency says virgin coolant can be dumped down the toilet or drain - sewage treatment plants can handle ethylene glycol. They advise that used coolant is to be sent to the county HHW facility - glycol isn't a problem, it's the metal leachates(Pb/Al/Fe/Cu/Sn) and glycolic acid they're worried about.

I used to run Midas shop here in Ontario, Canada. My oil disposal guy would not mind at all a certain persentage of water in my disposed oil at all. The percentage has not ever being disclosed, so all the drained coolant went into waste oil, including jugs left at my door by DYYers for the convenience for me to pick it up and dispose of. Never had a problem. I guess it burns as good as pure oil. Had always being paid for at the going rate for used oil..

Coolant in the used oil is a definite no-no. Most places will state that. The oil pick-up usually tests it to make sure it contains no coolant.
Coolant is fine to dump down the drain. It goes to water treatment plant and it is eaten by bacteria. It's fine.
I watched a truck dealership once drain a radiator out of a Volvo- Autocar right over the storm drain and thought well that's probably not good. 22 gallon of coolant in the storm system. I have no issue dumping down the sink though. Do t fall for all that mumbo jumbo Earth stuff. It all came from the Earth, it can all go back too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back