Synthetic OPE 2 Stroke Oil--What Are You Using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TruFuel 50:1 fuel (has synthetic JASO FD oil) or PowerCare 50:1 fuel (has synthetic JASO FD oil made by VP racing)

Great stuff, highly recommended.

Castrol 2T Power1 Racing
API TC+
JASO FD
ISO L-EGD

and some supermarket brand full synthetic oil without dye and without any specs on it. says to use in 25:1 concentration

The Castrol smokes more than the supermarket syn and costs 25% more

While it's not synthetic, I've been using Klotz Benol for over a decade in my 2 stroke equipment. Haven't worn out my Stihl trimmer yet and haven't had any carbon related issues. Not to mention it smells like the racetrack, heh. It does smoke more than synthetics, but they do have a synthetic variety that wouldn't be as bad. I just have an abundant supply of the Benol from my RC car days. Blended 40:1 for both the trimmer and blower.

Never tried saber the 100:1 always scared me. I'm big into dominator though. 50:1 jetted right had no smoke and seems you can't ruin a top end while using it.

Klotz R50 mixed with LL100 AV Gas, haven't so much as changed a sparkplug in 13 years in my string trimmer, blower or hedge trimmers, all are Husqvarna models.

Mobil 1 Racing 2T and the earlier version Mobil 1 MX2T. I managed to hoard about 35 quarts & pints, quite a while back, when ExxonMobil discontinued it for about $2 each. Still have about 10 left.

I use it on my 2 cycle string trimmer and Stihl leaf blower. However, for anyone still running a 2 cycle Lawn Boy mower, this stuff is the ticket for eliminating 98% of the smoke and odors, your Lawn Boy puts out using mineral based 2 cycle oil. After all, the stuff was formulated for Grand Prix 2 cycle motorcycles. Using it on OPE is overkill and child's play.

I got some of mine from a couple of ExxonMobil distributors in different states and some at clearance prices at local auto parts stores. I bet, if you called around ExxonMobil distributors in your state of Texas, you could find some still sitting in a warehouse, collecting dust.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I forgot about Amsoil and I have a preferred account.
smirk.gif
The equipment calls for a 40:1 ratio, but I see "Use at conventional mix ratios or the SABER® Ratio,™ regardless of the mix ratio specified for the equipment. For maximum benefit, use the SABER Ratio." on the Amsoil website.

I would not want to harm the engine in any way--which ratio are you guys using?

50:1 in my Echo weedwacker that is 13-14 years old.

As others mentioned i'm also using VP Full Synthetic 2 cycle oil found at Walmart and other places. VP does make a premix can, but i choose to mix my own. This stuff is JASO-FD certified. Its been working great for me.

I've been running True Fuel 50:1 in all my Stihl equipment for the last two years. This includes a chainsaw, leaf blower, and string trimmer. Prior to that I was running Stilh HP Ultra. I don't go thru much 2-cycle anymore, maybe 1/2 gal/year, so the True Fuel works out to be an acceptable deal.

The JASO and EDG ratings are focused on air cooled 2-stroke engines. The oils that meet this spec really make my Ryobi trimmer and Craftsman chain saw run faster with more power. Plug stays cleaner longer, more rpm, virtually invisible exhaust after warm-up. What's not to like? It does cost more, but for the amount I use in a year...meh.

Amsoil Sabre 100:1 hands down in my Echo String trimmers, Stihl blowers and chainsaws. Never an issue.

Google "ECHO* 100:1 String Trimmer Technical Study" for some interesting reading.

I use Amsoil Saber at the regular 50:1 mix for my Echo CS-370 chainsaw and my Poulan P1500 trimmer. Although I did mix it a little richer for the first gallon of fuel to break in my saw. I can get Saber at cost where I work, so $9 isn't too bad for a quart of 2-stroke oil. I know people run it at 80:1 or 100:1, but I just can't do it.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: 1maniac
Amsoil Sabre 100:1 hands down in my Echo String trimmers, Stihl blowers and chainsaws. Never an issue. Google "ECHO* 100:1 String Trimmer Technical Study" for some interesting reading.
Interesting reading; I would still be skittish to go to 100:1, but it is good to see there is some evidence that it works. Thanks for the link!

I like Motul 800 2T Offroad at 50:1. The smell is mild, no smoke, burns clean... but sorta expensive at $18 per liter.

Last edited:
I use a universal bulk oil that I buy from a local oil jobber. I have a 17 year old husky 325 that used to do the lawns and cut 3 or 4 acres depending on how wet the winter was, for a fire brake then I bought a 535? Husky that cut the trim time by 2/3 and have a 17 year old Husky bottom of the line back pack blower . I mix up 5 gallons at a time and usually it lasts the season some times less some times longer. The mixed gas and the ope sits in the garage with out any storage voodoo or gas stabilizer until March or April then start up and run fine. Now that I moved I probably will have to find a new oil.

Echo Power Blend or Husqvarna LS (low smoke). Echo at Home Depot, Husqvarna at Lowes. I have been using both in my husqvarna 223L for about 5 years.. and also in my saws. Both are Jaso FD. Plugs always look clean and piston tops are barely carboned. I mix at 32 or 40:1

Stihl Ultra seems impossible to foul a plug.I used Klotz in an RD350 Yamaha years ago.Good results.

What about Spectro?? I see that a local dealer is selling this stuff- they stock lots of it in gallon jugs and some in the squeezy packets to make 2.5 gallons.

Made me wonder because they're claiming it to exceed ISO EGD++... ++??? Really? Didn't know that was even a rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back