Need Help finding good budget Riding Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi how every one doing ? its been a while . Our honda pushing mower finally went out ( last us 10+ years ), we do have very nice size yard, front, side and back yard, also require to cut grass and edger, flower bed..... weekly according to HOV ( I would never move in a neighborhood with HOV again, will get into that later time ).

I want step up to getting my first riding mower, I been looking online, saw they offer in automatic or manual, dont know the pro and con between those 2, I want something that easy start and driving, also dependable and last many years, my BUDGET is around $1000-$1500 , any help on getting my first riding mower
smile.gif
, thank you

I been in this forum for many years, never note we have an " Lawn Mower " section
spankme2.gif

Mod please if can move this to that section, thank you so much .

I'm just going to throw this at you. Hope it helps.

A friend was given an OLD, grey Sears rider and it worked until the deck rusted away.

Then a neighbor of his toppled off his new Cub Cadet 1042 and put it up for sale. That was years ago and my friend paid ~$1,100 for it.
That was years ago and I've seen yellow Cub Cadets ALL OVER THE PLACE ever since. It has a Kohler Command 22hp engine with an oil filter.

Then, another neighbor had an MTD in red in which the engine self destructed. The owner promptly destroyed the replacement engine.
We don't know how either of those events went down.
He gave the one year old machine to my friend.
We took the engine (a B&S) out of the OLD Sears and with a very few mods (snip some shroud, make an elbow for the muffler, bundle up the fuel shutoff wiring) my pal now has a groovy, red backup machine. I keep telling him to sell it.

How many acres? There are two kinds of "automatic" transmission in lawn tractors - hydrostatic, which is a true hydraulic unit, and a variable-sheave belt drive that utilizes a single speed transmission and a pulley system to vary the reduction ratio between the engine and transmission - every lawn tractor I've used with the later setup, I hated. They're not usually durable, either. Most current better, but I wouldn't count on it. With that budget, if you're inclined to maintain it at all, I'd honestly buy an older, bigger tractor (probably technically a "garden tractor" or something semi-commercial) in good shape and be prepared for a few repairs here and there - after the second year you'll spend less keeping the dinosaur running that you will the new one.

Make sure you check out Craigslist and your local lawn and garden equipment stores. In that price range, I'd stay away from Sears, Lowes and Home Depot. Maybe you can score on a nice used model. I've had Wheel Horse (the original, not Toro) and Snapper. Both have 20 year lifespans with routine maintenance. Average lifespan for a Sears rider is about 7 years.

I'm sorta in the same boat. The hydrostatic in my 40 yr old IH Cadet 80 is dying. A Toro rear engine rider or a Snapper RER is in my future. Used of course

You REALLY get what you pay for!!

A machine that was $3000-$4000 ten years ago can be had today for $1000, but will still last another 20 years.

$1000 now-a-days doesn't buy anything decent (new riders) at all.

If it's got to be new and as inexpensive as possible, I'd look for something made by the Husqvarna Group and not MTD. JD would be great, but probably out of your price range. There's very few actual manual transmissions left. It will likely have a fender shift R-1-2-3-4,etc selector if it's a real gear drive. Some "manuals" are not really manuals so you have to be careful. They are belt and variator pulley drives. Typically junk. The only one I might consider today is one with a new "General Transmission" variator drive: http://www.generaltransmissions.com/en/products/tractor The rest in this price range will have light duty hydrostatic drives. They're OK if you keep them clean, dry and don't overwork them on hills or with excessive weight.

Keep the cutting deck set so it doesn't bounce around on the ground when mowing, scrape the underside and blow the whole thing off with a leaf blower after each use and even a cheap mower will last for you.

If you buy one of those expect 1-2 years of use.
Then you will be bending the tinfoil metal, have uneven grass cutting.. and be losing parts,bolts,screws out of everything.

wont be worth fixing.. expect about 5 years total.

They have some basic zero turn mowers starting around $2000 you might consider as well.

If I had to buy something for $1000 it would be a bigger walking mower 30"+.. an example would be a toro timemaster.
or cub cadet 28"
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-28-...C-600/206602520

I bought 30 year old deere 212 for $300, after first year I had to refurbish the cutting deck.. cost about $200 + my labor.
Then next year I had to fix a bad pulley.
Last year I rebuilt the engine for about $300
Had a bad head-gasket near the muffler.. and threw in some new valves etc while it was open.

Not much left to go kaput now. probably keep going another 20 years or I can always repower with a HF 2 cylinder engine. Has a real Gear drive not one of those stupid disc drives that use friction and wear out fast.

I might replace it with a 316 just for the hydrostatic transmission because I have to do alot of backing.. if the right deal comes along.

A decent used one might also be good. I bought a used Husqvarna for $500 and it runs
well, replaced gas tank due to crack, but that's it.

Consider a self propelled if a few extra lbs are hanging off your gut.

I use self-propelled as much as I can. Riding mower is for when I do the pond or high grass. Self-propelled is mulching, so not good in high grass

Get a hydrostatic drive.

I wasn't happy with a snapper rear engine rider. Was just slower and harder to cut the lawn with than a walk behind. When i sold it and got a Toro Timemaster i was so happy. That was 2012, and i got great service out of that mower. I sold it this year for the new, bigger engine 2017 model. Still happy.

Seriously worth considering if you have a flat or gentle sloped lawn. Riding mowers are a big pain to work on. The Timemaster is just like a regular walk behind plus 40lbs or so.

Its easy to start, belt runs the blades so if you hit a nasty rock you don't bend a crank shaft. Just messes up a blade or possibly a spindle if you mow over a bowling ball or something.

If you are under an acre check out the Timemaster. If your over an acre you should probably buy a real ZTR type mower.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
You REALLY get what you pay for!!

A machine that was $3000-$4000 ten years ago can be had today for $1000, but will still last another 20 years.

$1000 now-a-days doesn't buy anything decent (new riders) at all.

This is the CORRECT answer in this thread. Craigslist is your friend. Or go to all the local dealers looking for used equipment.

Obviously CL can find you some gems at a heck of a savings. Especially if you have a means to get it home yourself, which judging from the OP's sig, he's got a truck.

Problem is, like mentioned in other similar OPE threads, this is not the time of year you will typically find an awesome used machine at a great price that is not a fixer-upper.

Last edited:
I bought a used Kubota T1760 about 5 years ago for $600 and I love it. It has a Kawasaki 17 hp engine. I see them advertised around here from time to time usually in the $1000 range in nice condition. Good mower if you find one

You would be well served with a John Deere LX176. Get a nice one in premium condition and live happily ever after. The air cooled Kawasaki is ultra reliable. The hydrostatic drive is foot pedal controlled and also very reliable. The decks cut nice and are easy to take on and off if needed. With the proper blades, they do an excellent job of bagging. Very nice when the leaves start falling. The deck is also mulcher compatible if you prefer. Easy and cheap to maintain, they are an excellent value. I have sold several the last few years. I think $1200 was the highest price one and it had a snow plow, bagger with it.

Last edited:
admin thank you for moving this thread to right section
thumbsup2.gif

Sound like every one telling me stay away from buying new, base on my budget. and going for a used one. To be honest im is new to these small engine, I dont know what to inspect when i go look for a used one.

If I have to buy brand news with no budget, what would you suggest ? link too please
cheers3.gif

For your budget, I would check out a Husqvarna made Craftsman. You will get a 2 year warranty and you will not take on the risks involved with a used one. You didn't mention your yard size but a 42 inch mower should fit most needs. I would also stay away from hydrostatic drive and go with a manual.

Last edited:
In a world where all the new whizz bang ZTR's get all the glory , the lowly Snapper Rear Engine rider doesn't get a lot of respect . The design has been around for a long time , they are cheap to repair and simple in design . I have a friend that wouldn't own anything else .You don't see a lot of used ones for sale because people keep them running until they literally won't go anymore . You might find a trade in at a Snapper dealer .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back