GM Synchromesh Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for my 99' S10 with the NV1500 manual transmission. While I'm not really trying to cheap out on my truck, GM's 88900399 Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid is kinda spendy for a worn out 5 speed, especially since you need 3 quarts. Dealer wants almost $30 a quart and online it seems to be almost $20. Is there a compatible alternative that doesn't cost so darn much?

My Tremec 3550 also specs synchromesh fluid,
it used to be only $4-$5 for the Pennzoil stuff at autozone.

I have successfully used 0W-20 mobil 1 motor oil in it.

I'm Thinking about running the cheapest 5W-20 dino I can find in it, just for fun.

I think any synthetic ATF is also approved.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Dealer wants almost $30 a quart and online it seems to be almost $20. Is there a compatible alternative that doesn't cost so darn much?

Sheesh, that is steep! I was kind of thinking the T-IV atf was pricy at the dealer. The dealer does sell Mag1 atf for $3.95/quart as an alternative. The T-IV is about $6 or so.

Originally Posted By: Delta
This is for my 99' S10 with the NV1500 manual transmission. While I'm not really trying to cheap out on my truck, GM's 88900399 Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid is kinda spendy for a worn out 5 speed, especially since you need 3 quarts. Dealer wants almost $30 a quart and online it seems to be almost $20. Is there a compatible alternative that doesn't cost so darn much?

For that price buy Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back