0W40 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought a new Challenger with the SRT Hemi. It calls for 0w40 oil. All I see is 0W40 European formula. Is that same stuff? I have 2 years service agreement thrown in so I have time to find good deals or I could just put Valvoline 10W40 White bottle in it- pretty close.

No, Valvoline white bottle is NOT pretty close to a full syn 0w40. Yes the "Euro Formula" 0w40's are what they are talking about. BMW's, VW's and Mercedes are the vehicles that most commonly spec that type of oil from the factory, but they are also very popular here for other vehicles as well.

The SRT calls for some specific Chrysler spec that only Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 SRT meets, so if you want to CYA for warranty purposes, that's probably your only option.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
So I bought a new Challenger with the SRT Hemi. It calls for 0w40 oil. All I see is 0W40 European formula. Is that same stuff? I have 2 years service agreement thrown in so I have time to find good deals or I could just put Valvoline 10W40 White bottle in it- pretty close.

So you spent a ton of money on a new Challenger SRT and right away you want to second guess the manufacturers oil specifications. Are you more interested in saving a few pennies on "good deals" on oil or making sure your engine gets the right oil. This is exactly the kind of post on this forum that drives me nuts. Why don't you just go with the oil specified and be done with it. I have done so with my 2 Hemi engines and they both run flawlessly.

Amsoil Signature series 0w40 is recommended for the SRT and for Nissan GTR. Other than that, you are stuck with the Pennzoil oe recommended stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk
Amsoil Signature series 0w40 is recommended for the SRT and for Nissan GTR. Other than that, you are stuck with the Pennzoil oe recommended stuff.

Recommended by Amsoil, correct? Not by the automobile manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

So you spent a ton of money on a new Challenger SRT and right away you want to second guess the manufacturers oil specifications. Are you more interested in saving a few pennies on "good deals" on oil or making sure your engine gets the right oil. This is exactly the kind of post on this forum that drives me nuts. Why don't you just go with the oil specified and be done with it. I have done so with my 2 Hemi engines and they both run flawlessly.

It's the reliability of the Hemi. I have put 5w20/5w30/10w30/0W40 and 0w30 in my Hemi truck without a bit of difference. Runs flawless. I ended up settling on 10W30 since I tow alot and it's hot in Florida.
So where does one buy Ultra 0W40??
I actually have 21 quarts of it in my stash from AutoZone I was using in my Polaris ATVs, guess I ll stop that.

It's the reliability of the Hemi. I have put 5w20/5w30/10w30/0W40 and 0w30 in my Hemi truck without a bit of difference. Runs flawless. I ended up settling on 10W30 since I tow alot and it's hot in Florida.
So where does one buy Ultra 0W40??
I actually have 21 quarts of it in my stash from AutoZone I was using in my Polaris ATVs, guess I ll stop that.

You can get 0W-40 PUP on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-55004085...a+platinum+0w40

Not sure about your dealer but the Dodge dealer in Bradenton, FL also sells it for $6.80/quart.

Depends on the spec. The owner's manual for my 2004 WRX says that 5W-30 meeting AP SJ EC-II is recommended. But the factory was likely 5W-40 and also specifies a bunch of different oils.

Panzerman. Did you get the 392? How do you like it? Am considering the Hellcat Charger. Sorry to derail your thread.

New SRT and you want to put Valvoline 10W-40 conventional in it?

If you want to maintain any resemblance of a warranty on that thing, stick with what the owners manual calls out.

I am a former RAM 6.4 owner that calls out the same oil. Yeah, it is a pain to find and you are going to have to do some pre planning of ordering it probably to have stock on hand, but it is better to just bite the bullet to keep warranty compliance that risk it other wise.

I am sure others will chime end recommending other brands 0W-40 that do not meet the owners manual spec, but those people are not going to be standing next to you or offering financial assistance in the event you get warranty push back for not using the called out spec'd oil.

From the owner's manual:

Quote:
The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra
0W-40 engine or equivalent MOPAR oil meeting the FCA
US Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating
temperatures.

So, technically, it's just 'recommended' as opposed to 'required', but still, if it was me, I'd just stick to it to not give the manufacturer any reason to question your choices or maintenance practices.

Hey Panzerman - All SRT engines come factory fill with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 Full Synthetic motor oil. In order to protect the horsepower on your new baby we recomend sticking with Dodge's recommendation. Check out how Pennzoil Synthetics protect the engine of the Dodge Hellcat Challenger SRT in our Airlift Drift mini-film. - The Pennzoil Team

If 0W-20 performs better than 0W-40 in Dr. Haas's Ferrari and in my 85 Corolla, it will also likely perform better in your Challenger, which is somewhere in between. Do you want to take the challenge (pun intended)?
wink.gif

Thin or thick (TGMO 0W-20/M1 0W-40): Final verdict

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
If 0W-20 performs better than 0W-40 in Dr. Haas's Ferrari and in my 85 Corolla, it will also likely perform better in your Challenger,

But just in case it doesn't, will you step in and cover the OP's repair bills?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If 0W-20 performs better than 0W-40 in Dr. Haas's Ferrari and in my 85 Corolla, it will also likely perform better in your Challenger,

smile.gif

Good post. "Experts" like Gokhan will never be there when the "____" hits the fan. He drives Toyotas but knows what is best for a Challenger.

Last edited:

smile.gif

Exactly, just pony up for the Pennzoil SRT 0W-40 while in warranty...

smile.gif

Don't worry, Gokhan will NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back