2010 Ford Fusion common issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are thinking about picking up a work car for my wife. I haven't owned a car in many years, and haven't really paid attention to the basic 4 door type cars. And haven't had a Ford in even longer.

Are there any common issues with these cars? IDK what engines they are, but did ford have any timing belts in that era?

A guy I know has a few at some pretty good prices with low miles, but I would imagine they will have a salvage title since he owns a body shop....lol. Im not worried about that though, we keep vehicle until they are worthless and he is a good guy.

I haven't looked at them yet, but figured Id ask before I call him.
Thanks!

Valve bodies were common along with coil packs and the v6 liked to seep oil from valve covers and timing cover the 4cyl just seeps commonly from timing cover

I've got a 2010 Fusion with the 2.5 engine, and I've had to do very little in terms of serious service. There is no timing belt - it uses a timing chain.

The belt tensioner for the serpentine belt is a somewhat common issue, but it's a VERY easy thing to replace. Took me about 90 minutes from start to finish, and the part was only $42.

For what it's worth, I've recently replaced a number of maintenance items.. between 215,000 and 225,000 miles, including the spark plugs, which I replaced at 215,000 miles - They ended up being the factory original iridium plugs - and the electronic throttle body, which I replaced at about 224,000 miles, and which I also suspect was the factory original throttle body.

My Fusion has been one of the best cars I've ever owned, IMHO.

Why replace the throttle body?

Sounds like they are pretty solid cars?
I am assuming the ones he has are 4 cylinders, they look like the more basic models, cloth seats, lower end radio, etc.

Yeah I don't mind maintenance, but she puts on a good amount of miles per year, and I don't want something Im constantly having to fix or add oil.

I mean, I know its a c r a pshoot with used vehicles, but I just don't want to jump into a known problem child type car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Srt20
Why replace the throttle body?

A couple reasons..

1 - The Electronic Throttle Body that came from the factory with the Fusions, Escapes, and I believe 1 or 2 other cars, can potentially be subject to a known issue that can cause the electronics in the throttle body to deteriorate. When this happens, the result can be loss of power, non-responsiveness, etc.. essentially, it goes into limp mode. A while back, Ford issued a TSB on them that applied a programming update to alleviate some of the symptoms, but ultimately, if your car has one of the bad Elec. Throttle bodies, then the only TRUE fix is replacing it. They're actually pretty cheap to replace, and extremely easy.

2 - I'm pretty sure the throttle body on my 2010 Fusion was the original factory-installed one, and since my Fusion has over 225,000 miles on it, I felt it was prudent.

The old Throttle Body assembly:
Old.jpg

The new one:
New.jpg

(Note that you can actually SEE my reflection in the butterfly in the new one, whereas the old one is BLACK and crusty.

Sounds like they are pretty solid cars?

Very, at least overall. Sure, some people have horror stories, but I think you can pretty much say that about any car. Overall, yes. Fusions were very popular for a reason, and you can still see a TON of them on the road for a good reason. They last. Heck, mine at 225,000 miles feels at least as solid as many other cars I've had with far less than 1/2 that mileage. I would have no concerns driving it across country.

I am assuming the ones he has are 4 cylinders, they look like the more basic models, cloth seats, lower end radio, etc.

Well, some fit this description, but not all. There were three engines offered in the 2010-2012 Fusions. They offered the 2.5 Duratec 4-cylinder, the 3.0 V6, and the 3.5 liter in the sport. There was also a Hybrid version of the 2.5 in the Hybrid model. While it's true that the lower models did indeed come with less by default, many of them still had options that allowed upgrades.

The lowest level was the S trim level, then the SE, then the SEL which came pretty loaded up. Then you got the Sport model which was as it sounds - Powerful engine, sport styling, etc.. And finally the Hybrid which offered the 2.5 liter i4 gas engine paired with the electric.

Mine is the SE trim level, and even it has quite a few nice features. The stock sound system is amazing - 6 speakers including the two door post tweeters, great bass, Sync, Blu-tooth, steering wheel controls, etc.. Mine has cloth seats, but I find the cloth to be quite durable and looks decent. The seats are actually VERY comfortable.

.. of course, as you go up, you get options like leather, moonroof, NAV, etc..

Yeah I don't mind maintenance, but she puts on a good amount of miles per year, and I don't want something Im constantly having to fix or add oil.

If it matters, aside from having to replace the Belt Tensioner (90 minute job, $42 for parts) and the Electronic Throttle Body (45 minute job, $71 for the parts), I've really only had to do minimal work to it - Almost entirely just regular maintenance like oil changes, trans fluid drain & fills, filter replacement, etc..

The Valve Cover Gasket does need replacing, but heck.. it's still got the factory original one in it at 225,000 miles, so what do you expect?
cool.gif

The engine also does not leak a drop of oil, nor does it "use" any noticeable amount over a 7,500 mile oil change interval.

I mean, I know its a c r a pshoot with used vehicles, but I just don't want to jump into a known problem child type car.

Just do your due diligence when you look at a car, inspect it, look up the carfax, and trust your gut.

Nice. That 2008 is the same color as my 2010.. looks to be in very similar condition too. Not bad for 2 more years old, and 25,000 more on the clock.

.. although I expect my 2010 to be over 250,000 before 2017 is over.

I owned a Fusion 2010 SEL (2.5 litre 6 speed automatic) for 1 year. I purchased it used in April 2011 at which point it had 34,000km. This was my first purchase of a used car and was not too worried as it was still under full warranty for another 18 month (power train for even longer).

The problem that came up is that the transmission would have harsh or delayed shifting (kind of gets stuck between two gears when up or downshifting and the engine would rev up to around 5,000rpm). When it would engage the gear after the delay of a few seconds, there would be a loud “klunk” and a lurch forward… not smooth at all. Some examples here: http://repairpal.com/harsh-or-delayed-shifting-of-automatic-transmission-727 and here http://forums.automobilemag.com/70/7761889/ford/2010-ford-fusion-transmission/page3.html
Since this was an intermittent issue it did not show up during the test drive.

In my case this kind of issue would occur maybe once every 200km of driving (so maybe once or twice a week). My car was manufactured in October 2009 and probably was one to receive a transmission from a bad batch. Ford typically would flash update the PCM to address this issue (my car had already received the update but it did not address the issue). In more severe cases the transmission valve body would be replaced and in some instances, owners would get the transmission replaced completely.

It seems this is a common issue in 2010 Fusion produced in late 2009. Rather than go through the turmoil of some of those that posted in the above links and other forums, I traded up to a new different brand of car. (I have nothing against Ford as all manufacturer have some sort of issues eventually but I decided to trade up rather than risk long term issues).

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Mazda6 which is essentially a Ford Fusion with minor differences. The car has been very reliable in the 92k miles I've put on it with no repairs other than standard maintenance items. The one issue seems to be the power windows which are intermittently problematic and rattle in the tracks when not fully up or down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back