SK or Armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go SK for a couple reasons:

-Apex Tools just announced they're eliminating the Armstrong and Allen brands and cutting more jobs in the U.S.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350027
-The Armstrong sockets are just the same sockets that used to be sold under the Craftsman brand before they outsourced Craftsman. The Armstrong sockets are really nothing special and IMO aren't worth the price unless they're on a super sale. The Armstrong 88 tooth ratchets were very nice, but if you buy one now, you basically can't count on a warranty because they'll just give you a GearWrench ratchet in exchange, most likely.

I've had an SK socket set since 1988 and I have never split a socket. I have split Snap-On sockets, BTW.

Love my 3 SK sets, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. Smaller two are recent, and the 1/2 set is 1940s. All work great.

I had heard apex was going to offshore more production, didnt realize they were getting rid of armstrong. Thats why i was hesitant to buy Menard's masterforce. Ive been looking at proto sets as well, they tend to be a bit higher in price. Is it worth it to save up for the proto stuff? I'm going off to college this year and want stuff that wont break to take along. USA made is most important to me.

Either will serve a pro for decades of daily use. Proto and SK are very good tools, you cant go wrong with either and both are US made. Look at both of them and feel them in your hand.
At this level of tool quality is not an issue, its all about how it feels.

Tool Up has proto Blackhawk for a good price. If it's made in America it's the best bang for the buck I've seen yet. I'll probably bite if you guys give me the go ahead lol.

It is all us made. says specifically on the proto website. Toolup.com is where im ordering from. I thought the prices were good for Blackhawk tools since theyre us made.

Look at the reviews for this..

https://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-Proto-BP-1338QR-Quick-Release-Ratchet/dp/B005YSZTE0/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1485313384&sr=1-3&refinements=p_4%3ABlackhawk+By+Proto

I own some Blackhawk stuff and I'm happy with it. The ratchets (I own) are all Taiwan manufactured, the sockets are USA.

Id be willing to pay a little more for Proto than SK. They're both decent quality but I've broken more SK tools than I have Proto over the years.

All of my Proto tools are labeled Proto or Proto Industrial not Blackhawk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back