LS motor loss of oil pressure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow nutz! So i had the infomus loss of oil pressure in my 5.3L LM7. Fixed with new o-ring on oil pick up tube.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
How did you diagnose that? Did you try something else, like the sender first?

According to his first sentence, it sounds like a COMMON problem!

Originally Posted By: BigJakeChevy
So I had the infomus loss of oil pressure in my 5.3L LM7.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what is a 5.3 LM 7?

An extremely versatile V8 that was used in tons of different platforms. Very high production numbers...

Hmm... should this be done from a preventative... Mom and Dad bought a 2005 Tahoe months back with 180k, runs great.

Interesting as it applies to 5.7L engines in the 2001-2002/3 Vette, Camaro, and Firebird. Have never heard of it before. And there are still a lot of under 10K mile, 4th generation F Bodies running around. Wonder why that o-ring was a problem in the 2001-2002 yet not in essentially the same engine in 1998-2000?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
How did you diagnose that? Did you try something else, like the sender first?

From the research i had done I didn't suspect my sender as my sender was working. What happen was at cold start up was the pressure wasn't as high as it used to be. The pressure would sit just left of centre and not more with rpm until the engine was fully warmed up. Once completely warm the pressure would go up with rpm. I found the tsb from gm which outline my symptoms to a tee. So i figured id just change the o-ring as my pan was leaking.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Hmm... should this be done from a preventative... Mom and Dad bought a 2005 Tahoe months back with 180k, runs great.

Not sure if id do it as preventative, just always watch your pressures and know how it reacts at start up once warm and when the motor is reved. That being said it's not really that hard to do either so its a toss up.

So what was the process?

You had to remove the oilpan. But what did you have to remove in order to remove the oilpan?

Also, once the oilpan was removed- was it simple and straightforward?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
So what was the process?

You had to remove the oilpan. But what did you have to remove in order to remove the oilpan?

Also, once the oilpan was removed- was it simple and straightforward?

I removed the steering linkage. Just took it off the pitman and idler arms and let it hang. You need to do this so the front diff has clearance. Then remove front diff. Remove starter. Then undo and tie up the wiring harness. Remove oil pan. Remove oil pick up tube. Be sure to clean and debur where the o-ring sits on the pick up tube. I used a scotch pad. There was a little edge you could feel. Greased the [censored] out of the seat and oring before installing tube back into pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back