Used 5w20 instead of 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my mom's 2.2 Cobalt and I assumed it was 5w20. Her fuel line burst in my garage so I needed to change the overdue oil asap to just get it out of the way.
Its winter here but I'm nervous still about the 20 weight instead of 30 which it calls for. If she drives it easy, should I still worry about the oil?

I used M1 5-20 in 1978 while living in Bath, Me. This was in an engine calling for 10-40. The reason I put 5-20 in was for much easier cold starts in the winter. Ran it year round and never had a problem.

You should be ok, just change it when it gets warmer out. I wouldn't worry about it. For example, Jeep started spec'ing 5w20 for the 3.7 in 2007 to get better MPG instead of the original 5w30.

In Maine through April/May should be no problem. The lower viscosity might actually help all-around, especially on short trips.

It should be OK, keep it in over winter and change it when it gets warm.
Tell your mom no street racing or illegal street drags until you change the oil.

Did the same with the same 2.2L.

Nothing happened.
I'd worry about the fuel pump.

Last edited:
He did, 5w, which is all he needs to know.
No big deal, often times my KV in the sump does not go beyond 500cst. Don't worry about the 20 vs 30 nonsense.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
play it safe drain it and put 5w30

Which will most likely shear to a 20 wt in a 1000 miles. you guys should no better by now

Last edited:
Dyusik I know what you mean. This car has been a nightmare but no fuel pump problems as of yet.
I figured it was a 30 weight without thinking probably because my cars use it. When her fuel line blew I just wanted to change the oil since it was already there.
Thanks for the help everyone. She doesn't drive much but tends to pass people a lot so that's what I was worried about!

I wouldn't fuss terribly much in the winter, particularly if you're not getting on the freeway and trying to set any time records.
wink.gif

My old Audi allowed 5w-20 in the cold.

Originally Posted By: hemitom

Which will most likely shear to a 20 wt in a 1000 miles. you guys should no better by now

Which UOA's are you basing that on? From the UOA's routinely posted here with OCI's of 3K to 10K, you RARELY see an oil that has sheared out of grade. Shearing out by 1,000 miles? Maybe on Dollar General Oil.

Yes you should worry! There is a reason why your car calls for 5w-30w. It's like you gave your car diarrhea on purpose.
Change the oil back to 5w-30w so you can sleep at night. Basic car car 101

Don't worry about it, and I say that as a person that runs 5w30 in my truck that calls for 5w20.

You live in Maine and its winter time. May actually help this time of year.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: hemitom

Which UOA's are you basing that on? From the UOA's routinely posted here with OCI's of 3K to 10K, you RARELY see an oil that has sheared out of grade. Shearing out by 1,000 miles? Maybe on Dollar General Oil.

well one you recently posted on had sheared to 9.05 in 5000 miles and could have been at that for a few thousand miles ?? 9.05 dam close to a 20wt.
you are right 1000 miles is a bit of a stretch .
i have never seen any real proof where running a 20 wt. hurt a engine specd for a 30wt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back