need advice on the condition of CV boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear BITOG, 2009 MDX (8900km) was in the dealer for warranty work last week to replace all strut, the dealer report have list critical area as need to resurface rotor, and replace pad on all corner (which i already have parts at home and was going to do it myself) and tear in the front cv boot and rear link have play.
I had inspected the outer boot a week ago, when I was swapping winter tires, there was no grease, tear, or sign of issue on boot at each corners, and I was scam before so I said thanks and drove home.
few days later, I have major clunk noise at the back end, put car on jack stand and see how bad the rear link play.. well, to my amazement, the glide pin bolts on one corner are missing and the bracket is hitting the caliper. I got worry so I start checking all other brakes, and then one of area is full of grease.. upon inspection, I saw a big gap on the outer cv boot and grease leaks everywhere.
I was very upset and drove back to the dealership, and first they denied they touch my brake system but unfortunately their inspection report says they did, which they later agree to fix. but they would not accept the fault of the CV boot. this become he say vs i said, because I believe the boot were damaged during process strut replacement work, they probably use torch to remove rusted bolts or sway bar link and damage the boot.. , and would this kind of item being listed as "caution" or "important/critical" ? the report listed this as caution, and not critical, the CV boot is in pretty bad shape, and I really dont think this is a "tear".
I am thinking they would let customer drove off the lot, during holiday seasons, doing shopping, travel, and in few weeks return to dealership because grease gone and all join are damaged and more repair?
I am open to any opinion, suggestion, on if this is natural aging of CV boot?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Those multi point inspections are straight up designed to get the shop more work.

The green/yellow/red checkboxes are mostly up to the mechanic's whim.

Your CV joint has more grease leaking out than grime getting in. But it needs repair.

I wouldn't go to this shop again. Messing up the brake hardware to check your brakes is incompetent at best, sabotage at worst.

If you were scammed before, was it this shop? Is your whole town crooked?

Looks like something hot like a torch head came in contact with that surface. I would expect age or wear cracking to be much more defined with sharp edges.

Any decent service inspection should have recorded this fault. Another dealer person just putting in their time and not interested in doing a responsible job. Ed

Definitely a torch or some sort of impact against a tool/part, this is not normal wear.

1. Those 4 dimples above the main cracks suggests something dragged along the rubber boot.
2. Usually the inner ribs is what wears out first on the boots, not the outer ribs. Also, the fact that two ribs have a tear next to each other suggests something was in that area that contacted the part.

A 2009 vehicle getting struts replaced under warranty? not heard of that one.

If indeed you got free struts under warranty i would push them to replace the CV axles..if they dont then dont ever go back to them.

Dear BITOG, sorry for delay just took car back from dealership.
thanks very much for the insightful comment. and I am glad I at least have your support. It's process so tiring and dealing with them, telling them and showing them picture, but they continue to say the "tear" was there when i bring the car in... and unfortunately this is an Acura Dealership in Toronto area. I did most light maintenance myself, hope by do it right, and save myself time and money. this year I had pushed snow tire swap to the last minutes, and so I am certain CV boot, linkage, were checked very recently. another reason I do this because I buy parts OE parts online from US or make list to buy from Advance Auto or Napa, etc, when we go Buffalo once every few month (I enjoy do this!!)

from what I gathering, like another forum member mentioned, that most of tear, occurred at the inner part of the boot, not outer... and there is obvious line, like something melt it. I think the tech might have difficulty remove the sway bar end link from the strut and torch was used. that's my guess, their words, is that the tear was there already....

the service advisor, tell me that he had spoke to the service manager, and they both agree this tear already on the boot before car being service. I do not like argue and shouting, so I show the picture to the advisor, make my point on what I believe, and asked for the contact of service manager and left. the advisor said they put the glide pin bolts back, and I forgot to ask them if they took the pin out and clean it since it's raining and snowing. I had long thought the dealer charge high rate because they do not cut corner, and they have higher professionalism, so why bother ask... now I do not trust them anyway I guess I just have to put the car back on the jackstand and check it myself.

what make me very am very upset, is luckily I surf forum like BITOG often, and have garage and some tool to check the car myself, what would happen to the regular people have this happen to them? and during Christmas and New Year season ? most independent shop are close til early January. most people are running tight schedule doing shopping, dropping off gift, and meeting families, this just made me super MAD.

the dealer quote me around $450 CDN for the repair, if they drop the price to $150 or 200 i may cave in, just let them fix it because we are going to BUFFALO early next week because no way to get wife and girls into TSX. but dealer is not interested at lowering price, I was courious so I ask for price break down, turn out part is $170, just for the CV boot alone, no axle plus 2 hour of labour. I thought they would have put the new boot and shaft (or axle?) in because the didn't they claim the tear was there, and so, axle or shaft likely would have been damaged.? anyway, I have no intention to go back. I am going to write a letter to Acura Canada and service manager/general manager of dealership on this. it's not just money, taking advantages of customer during this time of year is just low.

so now my next question to the dear BITOG members, shall I drive the MDX to the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area next week? even I can not get it fix? I am about 90 Miles from Buffalo area, about 90 minutes drive. I am fully aware the boot is done, and the shaft maybe damaged? and I found a reputable independent shop and that I will take my car there, any suggestion on the part that need to be replace, or other related parts to be replace (like replace inner cv boot at the same time?)

again, thanks very much!!!

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
A 2009 vehicle getting struts replaced under warranty? not heard of that one.

If indeed you got free struts under warranty i would push them to replace the CV axles..if they dont then dont ever go back to them.

certain model of MDX comes with ADS system, there is wide spread of report of strut failure, you can google it, there are pages and pages of detail of owner converting their ADS system to regular shock because each ADS strut cost around $600 in US online store. Acura USA and Acura Canada recently announced warranty extension of these strut. According to the service advisor at dealership, all 4 struts on my MDX were bad, and they were replaced under extended warranty program, cost around 4000 to Acura Canada.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Definitely a torch or some sort of impact against a tool/part, this is not normal wear.

1. Those 4 dimples above the main cracks suggests something dragged along the rubber boot.
2. Usually the inner ribs is what wears out first on the boots, not the outer ribs. Also, the fact that two ribs have a tear next to each other suggests something was in that area that contacted the part.

thanks, I suggest to the service advisor but he just show me a poker face, no reaction, no response. maybe he was under direction of service manager and not to step the toe of other? mmm, too bad, no point harassing these lower worker I guess. wife a bit upset at me saying I am too nice. but I dont like argue or make a scene. definitely not going back to that dealership even if they will pick up the cost, however I will still write a letter.

Is there a customer service number for Acura of Canada in your owners manual? Call them up and tell them what you told us.

In the US this sort of stuff is very "survey postcard" driven-- flunking the dealer on the post card can mess with their vehicle allocation and other stuff that really hurts. Watch for that.

thanks, so I will have the boot and join replace by other shop, I check the internet part dealer and found Acura part# 44014STXA03 join set outboard to be the one I needed, circle in red..

would I cause more damage other than the part identified in 44014STXA03 if I drive another 2-300 miles? reason is the part may not be available before I leave town.. the shop is closed but the owner is nice enough to pick up the call, he say these part will be replace anyway so I shall not worry, I just drive til they busted.

Just because there is a tear in the boot doesn't mean the joint has to be replaced, it depends on how long it has operated like that and under what conditions. You will likely find the joint is quite expensive, as long as it isn't worn I'd just get the boot replaced. When the shop replaces the boot they can evaluate the joint.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Just because there is a tear in the boot doesn't mean the joint has to be replaced, it depends on how long it has operated like that and under what conditions. You will likely find the joint is quite expensive, as long as it isn't worn I'd just get the boot replaced. When the shop replaces the boot they can evaluate the joint.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I would just replace the boot in this situation, not the entire joint.

thanks for advise, so I will take the family to Buffalo and have it fix after, and then see if joint hold it. the Acura OE boot kit cost about $40 and join kit with boot cost about $140, plus shipping. pretty sure the independent shop is using aftermarket parts. shall I pay a bit more with OE parts such as boot and join?
thanks

Trav, thanks, I will get the OE from US store, if not will ask for Rockford parts locally. with Monday being holiday, i do not think there is enough lead time for online order.

The torn CV boots I've dealt with have been between the 'dimples,' where most of the flexing occurs.

You wont find them in stores only from the manufacturer. Their catalog is very dated but they have them to fit many cars and trucks, they still manufacture them though.
I keep some GM, Ford, Asian and Euro boots in my small stock. I suggest you call them and ask if they have one to fit, these are the best boots in the business if they have one that will fit otherwise its OE. Their tel# 1-815-962-1411

http://www.rockfordcv.com/rcvboot.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back