Lost Power Tonight for Two Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What if the house doesn't need all the power that the generator is generating; where does the extra power go ?

The engine has a governor, so as the electrical load increases, the governor will keep the engine running as 3600 RPM unless things get overloaded.

I backfeed my panel as well, through the 220 compressor outlet ( 50 amp circuit fed with 4 gauge wire to the panel). I pulled a neutral wire to the outlet. I use a suicide cable.

1.My process is turn the air compressor breaker off
2.Connect the generator suicide cable to the generator(not running) and to the outlet.
3.Turn off the house main breakers.
4. Start the generator
5. generator up and running, flip air compressor breaker on.

I don't have much for power needs so I get by with a Honda EU2000i. With the long term outages we had a few years ago I learned the biggest hassle is getting and storing fuel. The little EU sips it and can go 5-8hours on a single gallon of gas.

I didn't want to mess around with back feeding or Xfer switches.

I put plugs on my boiler and well pump (120v jet style). Drilled a hole in the floor and dropped the fridge power cord down and installed an outlet for that in the basement. I made up a drop cord out of a commercial extension cord with 4 taps on it so I only have to run a single cord for everything. My stove can match light.

So when the power goes out I string the cord from the genset, past all the plugs, and ends it up at the top of the basement stairs so i can plug a lamp and other misc stuff in. I even put a little weatherproof access hole in the basement wall so I dont have to run the cord through the door.

Takes about 5mins to setup and is so simple I don't have to worry about a family member killing a lineman if Im not home to set it up. As long as everything doesn't try and start at the same time it works well.

You guys make me want to scream with all this back feeding nonsense. It doesn't cost that much to idiot proof the system. If the power company ever finds out you aren't using a transfer switch they will make you fix it.

It isn't that it is physically incorrect. It just takes one missed thought to hurt someone. No one is perfect.

Last edited:
The little Honda EU2000i is a fantastic unit. It can use an after market gas cap that will
Pull fuel from a larger gas can for extended run time.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
You guys make me want to scream with all this back feeding nonsense. It doesn't cost that much to idiot proof the system. If the power company ever finds out you aren't using a transfer switch they will make you fix it.

It isn't that it is physically incorrect. It just takes one missed thought to hurt someone. No one is perfect.

My backfeed setup is mechanically perfect-I can't make a mistake and cause anyone harm by using it.

It's a lockout type, with a sliding lock out bar-I cannot feed my panel from my generator without disconnecting the panel from street power. It was installed by a master electrician and inspected.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006

My backfeed setup is mechanically perfect-I can't make a mistake and cause anyone harm by using it.

It's a lockout type, with a sliding lock out bar-I cannot feed my panel from my generator without disconnecting the panel from street power. It was installed by a master electrician and inspected.

Sounds something like this

https://www.interlockkit.com/

Originally Posted By: Balrog006

I was meaning the guys backfeeding into a dryer receptacle with a suicide cord or some variation on that.

Your way is one of the proper ways. Every panel manufacture makes a kit like that now.

As with all things we have to be careful. Like I said, driving a car is inherently dangerous and we could hurt someone very easily with a missed thought while texting, talking, changing stations on the radio, etc. Backfeeding is safe as long as we follow the rules. It's all in the Main breaker.

Originally Posted By: tig1
jhellwig said:
Backfeeding is safe as long as we follow the rules.

Well I am pretty sure the rules say there needs to be some sort of interlock device.

If you have that then there is nothing wrong with back feeding.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
jhellwig said:

Well I am pretty sure the rules say there needs to be some sort of interlock device.

Like locking off the breaker box door.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
jhellwig said:

Like locking off the breaker box door.

No that would just be a lock
whistle.gif

An interlock is some sort of mechanical system that prevents you from having the MAIN and your backfeed on at the same time. They make UL listed bolt on kits now for just about all the major manufacture's breaker panels. They even sell them at Homedepot now.

That devise still would not stop power from going into the grid if you didn't manually turn off the "Main". What good is it then?

That devise still would not stop power from going into the grid if you didn't manually turn off the "Main". What good is it then?

You can't turn ON your gen backfeed socket with out turning OFF your main.
The plate slides up and down and only allows one to be on at the same time.

So in the example pic I posted you would turn OFF the main, slide the plate UP then you would be able to turn ON the gen outlet. The plate now blocks you from turning the MAIN back on until you turn off the gen outlet and slide it back down.
They make them for every major panel now and it most jurisdictions this is now an acceptable form of interlock.

As with all things we have to be careful. Like I said, driving a car is inherently dangerous and we could hurt someone very easily with a missed thought while texting, talking, changing stations on the radio, etc. Backfeeding is safe as long as we follow the rules. It's all in the Main breaker.

Have you ever forgotten something? Mistakes happen.

jhellwig, no, no I have not ever forgotten anything.

My current house has manual transfer so nice easy install and throw the switch.

Sill leaves a few backfeeds still. Never to utility.

My brother is on hour three, will be on til I get outta work at 12pm(noon).
He's running lpg on a PowerChief powered by 8-10hp tecumseh, 5kw.
It's in the attic of the shed and is backfeeding via 50amp welders setup.
Done right it is safe without proper transfers, ect.

harvey

Originally Posted By: JR
CrAlt, could you post the company that makes that plate for me and the other members.
please and thank you.

harvey

They have them at Home Depot for the most common panels. My example picture is this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-Outdoor-Generator-Inter-Lock-Kit-HOMRBGK2C/203030954

Look what the make and model is of your panel and just google it.. If its a GE then google "GE Breaker panel interlock"
Look for one that has the UL certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back