Aluminum Skillet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 60-year old aluminum skillet that has spent most of those years in use atop a conventional electric burner. As a result, it has an uneven layer of crud fused to the bottom surface that I’d like to remove. This only recently became a concern because our new electric stove is a glass cooktop and this skillet won’t sit flat on its surface as is. Nothing that I have tried so far including steel wool has helped. Any ideas on how to remove, other than maybe some kind of power sander or an acid bath?

I'd throw it out........
For years they tried to associate Alzheimer's with using aluminum cookware.
Of course I haven't read anything more since the 80's
smile.gif

Now if it was mine I'd put it in my shot cabinet and bead blast it if I wanted to remove the scale.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'd throw it out........
For years they tried to associate Alzheimer's with using aluminum cookware.
Of course I haven't read anything more since the 80's
smile.gif

Now if it was mine I'd put it in my shot cabinet and bead blast it if I wanted to remove the scale.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't use it either (try cast iron or stainless). If it's an heirloom type situation, I'd media blast it as well.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
it has an uneven layer of crud fused to the bottom surface that I’d like to remove.

Considering how soft aluminum is, I would not use power tools or acid baths.

What I might try is this:
1) Spray-glue a large piece of sandpaper or emery cloth to a flat piece of thick plywood. If all you can get are 9x11 sheets, gang them up on the wood.
2) Clamp the wood down so it won't move.
3) Drag the bottom of the pan across the sandpaper, being careful to keep the pan as flat as possible.
4) Study the pan after each drag, cleaning the sandpaper each time with a wire brush. I'd use maybe 50- or 80-grit at first, then work my way down to something like 200-grit to finish the surface once all the crud is off.

The crud should respond well to sandpaper. Steel wool will tend to just polish the crud.

+1 on Teggers plan if you want a go at it. Your pan might also be warped as aluminum pots & pans tend to do so over time.

Re: Aluminum & Alzheimers...if you're concerned about this, then you should think twice about ever eating out again as commercial cookwear is often made of aluminum. Take a stroll in a restaurant supply house/business sometime and note how many aluminum food surfaces you see.

Don't forget the baking sheets, jelly roll pans, etc.

The aluminum-Alzheimer's connection is vague and unproven. Cookware won't deposit significant metal into your food unless it's damaged (pitted) or you're really going at it with utensils.

Take a lap wheel to the bottom if you'd like. Just go easy.

Or, track down a set of Cuisinart French Classic cookware.

The whole aluminum & alzheimers thing has been proven and disproven. But Aluminum is the least noble of all cookware metals. And it might be minuscule, but it does deposit metals into your food each time you cook as does cast iron. A frequently used aluminum pot or pan will notably (not noticeably) decrease in thickness over time. Most restaurants are going away from aluminum for rice, mashed potatoes, stews, casseroles, ect and switching to stainless because they don't wear out as fast. I was at a restaurant supply store last week, and stainless outnumbered aluminum pots and pans 10:1. Apparently bakers still use aluminum quite a bit due to its heat transfer characteristics. At home, I use stainless or cast iron. Proven or not, I'm not taking chances.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I have a 60-year old aluminum skillet ....

Retire it - you've gotten your money's worth out of it. Whether the Alzheimer's link is conjecture or not, we don't use aluminum cookware if there are other options. At our c- store, we use stainless wherever possible. I also avoid teflon cookware to the extent possible.

Throw it out. Buy a nice stainless pan. If it were an old cast iron pan I'd say clean it up and save it. I have some that are older than I am and get used daily. But Aluminum? Not worth it IMHO.

Ditch that pan asap. Try buffing aluminium with some polish and see what the rag looks like. Not worth taking a chance, I have not eaten any food cooked in aluminium for 20 years.

Oven cleaner aka sodium hydroxide aka lye will take the carbon right off. The bare aluminum will have a black coating but this washes right off if done right away before it dries.

Quote:

I have not eaten any food cooked in aluminium for 20 years.

Ya, probably pretty dry and burnt having been cooked in Al for 20 years.

The dangers of a misplaced modifier.... lol j/k..

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Oven cleaner aka sodium hydroxide aka lye will take the carbon right off.

That's a pretty good idea, and one I didn't think of.

Another thing I didn't think of until you mentioned that, is simply putting the pan into a self-cleaning oven for the oven's normal "cleaning" cycle. The carbon will turn to ash and will be easily brushed off.

Whether or not the 600* cleaning-heat will warp the aluminum I know not, so take my advice with caution.

Rub on a flat concrete surface, like the top of a convenient wall. Add sand if the concrete isn't rough enough.

Toss it then go buy a set of...

Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Tri ply cookware
Best value stainless cookware by far
Can be had for as low as $180 recently

Thank me later

Last edited:
While-ever they add it to drinking water and vaccinations, the link will always be "unnclear".

Just like asbestos, tobacco and all that other stuff.

Myage defence is "best defence is no be there", so I'd melt it down out in the back yard, or shoot BB pellets at it.

(Not used here, but) the argument that we ingest it all the time from dust/dirt belies the fact that Aluminium oxides are incredibly stable (why processing it is so energy intensive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back