GM recommends Mobil 1 15w50 for 2016 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I owned a Corvette, I'd run M1 15W-50 all the time.

Lets face it, Corvette's are a summer-only car, so 'cold start' concerns are moot. You don't buy a 'Vette for fuel economy, so fuel consumption issues are also moot.

Corvette's produce sooo much power that any 'power drain' from thick oil is also a pointless argument.

Also, there are documented cases of some Vette engines lunching themselves with hard driving...So I'll take the extra protection of a heavier oil, and not really 'lose' anything.

For normal, legal use on road, Dexos1 oil recommended.
Mobil 1 5w-30 or 0w-20 (both Dexos1 spec)?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
If I owned a Corvette, I'd run M1 15W-50 all the time.

Lets face it, Corvette's are a summer-only car, so 'cold start' concerns are moot. You don't buy a 'Vette for fuel economy, so fuel consumption issues are also moot.

Corvette's produce sooo much power that any 'power drain' from thick oil is also a pointless argument.

Also, there are documented cases of some Vette engines lunching themselves with hard driving...So I'll take the extra protection of a heavier oil, and not really 'lose' anything.

You just nullified everybody's argument.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Are you reading what Im reading? It says "track events or competitive driving". That specifically means off-road, and a very restricted set of scenarios. The way it is written could also imply that the higher viscosity is needed only if the light comes on, though that's a stretch.

For normal, legal use on road, there is no reason to run 15w50 it seems...

That tells me GM recommends to their customers to drive their 800 horsepower Corvettes very conservatively if they're using 5W-30. Stay under 2000 revolutions per minute and don't go over 30 miles per hour. That's the way I interpret it.

Which is probably the only way to stay legal in a vehicle as powerful and light as that...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Heck,owning a Corvette would mean competitive driving anytime you drive it haha. I couldn't imagine putting around town like a lil old lady in one. I'd never run a CAFE oil in a high power muscle car. I'd run the 50wt rec all the time,plus M1 15W50 is dirt cheap. This just goes to further prove that thin oils are for CAFE ONLY and thicker does protect better,or else it'd say "For track or competitive driving,use Mobil 1 0W20".

Yes but that said, the corvette engines, while impressive, arent particularly power dense.

They are V8 engines. 6.2L, 450-650hp or so...

That's 72-105 HP/L

My Honda Accord Hybrid puts out 70.5 HP/L... Should I run M1 15w-50 in it when Im going to be driving fast/hard on the interstate???

My 135i puts out 100 HP/L. It requires an LL-01 oil. It also has known high oil temperatures. Should I take that up to a 50wt for driving fast from stop light to stop light?

But,GM and Ford is "requiring" a 50 weight. Now if Honda (or the maker that mfg's your 135i requires a 50 weight) then yes,you should use it. Maybe those makers aren't marketing those two cars toward's grass roots racers like GM and Ford does their hi po cars. The Focus RS requires a 50 wt too. Every Corvette and Mustang driver I see always beats the heck out of their cars.

You didnt address the actual situation. So beating on their car away from each stoplight is the same as grass root racing or track and competitive events?

Because if not, then Im not seeing a lot of difference from any run of the mill driver accelerating too fast from the stoplight each time it goes green, and racing into the reds just to slam on their brakes. 100hp/l isnt that impressive or power dense anymore... And lots of very run of the mill vehicles last indefinitely with that sort of power density/specific power.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
A high HP V8 will push oil out of rod and main bearing surfaces more than most 4 cylinder engines will see. Exceptions would be high HP 4 cylinder engines. Even then, most 4 cylinder engines do not share a rod bearing surface like V8 engines where oil can squeeze out under extreme pressure. The stronger the bang and greater the load, the greater the pressure on the bearings.

Well, now we are actually perhaps getting somewhere...

But again, the standard model vette is no more power dense than my wimpy accord hybrid. They both make about 70hp/L. Even 100 hp/l for the Z06 isnt much in terms of output per displacement.

So then there's something fundamentally wrong in the design of the v8 bearings? After all, an accord making 70 hp/l and a vette making 70 hp/l are doing about the same... Each cylinder is bigger on the vette (6.2/8 vs 2.0/4), so is there a standard ratio of bearing sizes to cylinder sizes or power levels? I guess the question becomes, if 4 cyl engine has x hp per cylinder, and 8 cyl engine has y hp per cylinder... And the v8 has bigger cylinders so y>x, then why isnt bearing area for y larger than bearing area for x to prevent this phenomena you mention?

Seems either a design flaw or else a basis for why 4 cyl engines should last longer...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I don't think this is new for 2016. Ford recommends 5W50 for my Track Pack Mustang as well as the GT350/R, Boss 302, and GT500s.

The year has nothing to do with it. And last time I looked, Ford and GM were two different companies. My point was that for years GM has specifically warned against using any other weight of oil except 5w30 in their owners manuals. Beginning with the 2014 Corvette and the new LT1 engine, they now recommend 15w50 for track or competitive driving. There is no such recommendation in my 2005 Corvette owners manual, nor was this in the 2013 manual (even for the Z06 and ZR1 models).

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
This has been the case for some time. Here's from 2014 manual:

Viscosity Grade
SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity
grade for the vehicle. Do not use
other viscosity grade oils such as
SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.
For track events or competitive
driving, use Mobil 1®15W-50
engine oil. An instrument cluster
warning light will be illuminated at
high oil temperatures.

Yes, I know. The 15w50 recommendation started with the 2014 Corvette and the new LT1 engine.

They are V8 engines. 6.2L, 450-650hp or so...

That's 72-105 HP/L

My Honda Accord Hybrid puts out 70.5 HP/L... Should I run M1 15w-50 in it when Im going to be driving fast/hard on the interstate???

My 135i puts out 100 HP/L. It requires an LL-01 oil. It also has known high oil temperatures. Should I take that up to a 50wt for driving fast from stop light to stop light?

But again, the standard model vette is no more power dense than my wimpy accord hybrid. They both make about 70hp/L. Even 100 hp/l for the Z06 isnt much in terms of output per displacement.

Not arguing, just asking, shouldn't you take RPM into account, so something like HP/L/RPM

Most of those small engines that make high power are also revving more, so the power per stroke is less.

At what RPM is the peak power for the 'vette, the Honda and the BMW ?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Not arguing, just asking, shouldn't you take RPM into account, so something like HP/L/RPM

Most of those small engines that make high power are also revving more, so the power per stroke is less.

Not quite, and your intuition is pretty close...the comments regarding power output and power density HAVE to be read in terms of cylinder pressures (torque), and RPM (the rate at which you do torque).

A V-8 is certainly torquey, and yes, HP/L wise relatively poor...BUT it can pull like a steam train at very low RPM, something a high revving Honda engine just isn't good at.

moft%20viscosity.jpg

Clearly, RPM builds oil film thickness, basic physics.

So a no torque, revvy engine can survive much easier on a thinner oil than a torquey V-8.

Red Herring arguments like "so I need to install 20W50 in my high power density revvy Honda" aren't based on an understanding of the topic.

Nice, thanks Shannow.

Those tables are great, and answer my question.

If I want just over 4 microns of MOFT at peak power (for argument's sake), if that peak power is at 7500 rpm then a 0w20 will work, but if that peak power is at 2500 rpm then I need a 20W50. So RPM helps build oil thickness, and so a revvy car can work with a thinner oil.

I hope I got it correct.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I don't think this is new for 2016. Ford recommends 5W50 for my Track Pack Mustang as well as the GT350/R, Boss 302, and GT500s.

Chrysler has had a written suggestion to use the exact same oil in 6.1 liter V8's since around 06 or so.

Just ordered an SLT 1500 Max trailer 6.2L 8 speed 3.42 gear. Should see it in 10 weeks.
Out in 600 miles will be the FF 0W20, and in will go Duron CK-4 10W40.
I'll post a photo of the engine when it blows up.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Heck,owning a Corvette would mean competitive driving anytime you drive it haha. I couldn't imagine putting around town like a lil old lady in one. I'd never run a CAFE oil in a high power muscle car. I'd run the 50wt rec all the time,plus M1 15W50 is dirt cheap. This just goes to further prove that thin oils are for CAFE ONLY and thicker does protect better,or else it'd say "For track or competitive driving,use Mobil 1 0W20".

I'd say you hit the nail right on the head.
thumbsup2.gif

Requoted for absolute truth.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: SR5

Not quite, and your intuition is pretty close...the comments regarding power output and power density HAVE to be read in terms of cylinder pressures (torque), and RPM (the rate at which you do torque).

A V-8 is certainly torquey, and yes, HP/L wise relatively poor...BUT it can pull like a steam train at very low RPM, something a high revving Honda engine just isn't good at.

moft%20viscosity.jpg

Clearly, RPM builds oil film thickness, basic physics.

So a no torque, revvy engine can survive much easier on a thinner oil than a torquey V-8.

Red Herring arguments like "so I need to install 20W50 in my high power density revvy Honda" aren't based on an understanding of the topic.

Fundamentally agree. But this comes back to the basic question...

This says 15w-50 for track and competition events. Not daily driving. It says that plainly. Is that wrong? Will an engine fail early because of that?

A v8 may be able to pull harder, lower, but if that was really the condition of criticality, then this recommendation would be stated plainly in the non-CAFE, over 7600# GVW chevy truck manuals, where there is a much higher chance of long, sustained, high loading on the engine. Is it there?????

Or is it because the corvette's cooling capability for the oil is poor relative to anything else, so the heaview oil is necessary to maintain some adequate film in the bearings?

At the same time, diesels can pull longer, slower, and with much more cylinder pressure, higher low end torque, etc. And they are trending towards lower viscosity lubricants (granted with much larger sumps and better cooling).

While your (notionally valid, what is a standard European design 2.0L engine and how does it relate to the bearings in either a GM performance V8 or other more run of the mill engines????) graphics pop up over and over for good reason, the purpose of the discussion is to ask why this popped up where it did, when it did, and why.

Regarding power and RPM, yes there is a curve that may be more telling, but:

Vette: http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/corvette/2016.tab1.html
455HP @ 6000
460 lb-ft @ 4600

2016_LT1_SRay_62L_V8.jpg

Honda: http://recalls.owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2015/Accord-Hybrid/specs#mid^CR6F3FEW
141 hp @ 6200
122 lb-ft @ 3500-6000

article-image

http://www.vtec.net/articles/article-image?image=1181658/14accordhybriddyno.gif

The electric component skews this one a bit, I know...

BMW: http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/1-series/2011/road-test-specs/
300 hp @ 5800
300 lb-ft @ 1200 (flat to ~5000 RPM)

BMW-335i-335is-dyno-test-N54-vs-N55-torque-750x500.jpg

BMW-335i-335is-dyno-test-N54-vs-N55.jpg

Of course we know BMW could and have pushed 60wt oils in some circumstances...

These are just examples to compare because I know them because I own them. Not necessarily end all be all case studies.

But if one is going to argue that the vette driver is going to be thrashing his car around every second of every day, requiring a 15w-50 for driving on surface streets and highways, because otherwise the engine wont be protected is sort of dubious... Especially if this trashing results in decent RPMs in the engine...

Interesting, the Corvette 6.2L also has 11.5:1 compression and 460 lbs. torque just like the truck engine, but a little more camshaft for higher rpm and HP.
Include the 2017 Camaro, higher air speeds than the truck, but like the Corvette, less frontal area.

These engines, in car or truck, have variable displacement and pressure oil pumps, so engine oil viscosity changes will not show on the pressure gauge.

I view 15W50 as the synthetic variant of 20W50, and 10W40 the synthetic 15W40. Increasing the spreads to 10W50, 5W50, 5W40 and 0W40, more often than not, lowers the HTHS.
My 10W40 with a HTHS of 4.4 will likely be higher than many 5W50s, post permanent shear.

Moving away from bearing protection, up to the ring zone, I believe that the higher the BOV is, the cleaner the rings and pistons will be, with lower wear and less oil consumption, resulting in better emission equipment life.

So is BITOG now firmly in the "thicker is better" circle jerk? All because GM recommends a thicker oil during extreme use? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back