What's a good belt drive air compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: punisher
Best bang for the buck for a medium capacity unit:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641297_200641297
It was on special for ~$479 awhile back and I missed it.

Compressors have duty cycles like welders. Unless specified, 60% duty cycle is norm for air compressors (6 minutes on, 4 minutes cool down).

My neighbor has that model - never a problem in 10 years. It's on sale again, only $30 off but it's still a lot of value for the money:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641297_200641297?gclid=CP6K8rmZv84CFUdqfgodV30Ilg

First of all, if you go with more than 2 hp you are going to need a 220V outlet. So a 5 hp 80 gallon unit just isn't going to fly unless you go with 220V. Second, the 2 hp 30 gallon tank is about the biggest unit anybody sells for 110V. Once you start comparing the 2 hp, 30 gallon tank models you definitely want an oil lubricated unit. The oil-less units are toys. Only the oil lubricated units will hold up to actual home shop use and as a side benefit they are not as loud. Looking at reviews online, just about all the manufacturers have issues with these cheaper units. Spectacular shipping damage is very common. It might pay to buy from a reputable local supplier if you know they can deliver it in one piece. Be prepared for leaks, so bring your soapy water and thread sealant home and be prepared to do some troubleshooting. Once you get the unit home and in place, be sure to read the instructions for break-in. Usually you have to run the machine for an hour or so blowing off all the pressure through an open valve. Then check and possibly drain/change the oil and you are good to go.

Comparing brands online, I notice that the cheaper units for around $350 like Harbor Freight, are not rated for as much CFM as the more expensive brands like Quincy. I was surprised to read about so many problems from all the high end manufacturers like Quincy and Chicago. It seems they don't put as much effort into these little models. Industrial buyers would never tolerate these problems in their big rotary compressors. You aren't necessarily getting years of trouble free service from any manufacturer in these smaller sizes.

I have a Campbell Hausfeld 20 gallon belt drive unit. It's now 20 years old, and still working perfectly. It's quiet, capable and reliable.

Certainly, it does not have sufficient CFM for sandblasting or other high CFM operations. It will run a die-grinder endlessly. But won't run a DA sander without occasional breaks. Painting is no problem what so ever.

The reason I bring this up, is that the exact same model is still available, it's made in USA, and can be found inexpensively. Lowes has it locally for just over $400

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back