BMW LL-01 oils that are available at walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since M1 0w40 is not LL01 amymore and Im sure this topic has been beat to death but whats a cheap LL01 oil available at walmart?

2013 BMW X3 2.0 turbo direct injection on a monster 23psi tune and downpipe - wife hatd driven.

Go with Castrol Edge 0w-40, probably one of the only choices at Walmart now for a true LL-01 on the bottle oil.

Of course, M1 0w-40 would still work fine but for warranty concerns maybe not.

On second thought, your warranty is out the door anyway with a high PSI like that so M1 0w-40 would still work great and is GTL now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
since when is mobil 1 not ok for BMW ?

Its is still probably okay but it doesnt havze the LL01 certificate since Nov of 2015 i believe.

Is Castrol 5w30 LL01? Probably better for winter as oil temps barely climb to 220.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Serge
Since M1 0w40 is not LL01 amymore and Im sure this topic has been beat to death but whats a cheap LL01 oil available at walmart?

2013 BMW X3 2.0 turbo direct injection on a monster 23psi tune and downpipe - wife hatd driven.

Castrol 0W40.
Mobil1 0W40 is not anymore approved for LL-01 since they moved to GTL base.
They still offer old VISOM version in Europe which to me at least it says that new GTL base right now cannot meet LL-01.
Take into consideration that LL-01 and LL-04 were recently updated and are hardest specifications to meet.

Are you concerned with this spec for warranty purposes? Will not the boost to 23psi void the warranty outright?

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Are you concerned with this spec for warranty purposes? Will not the boost to 23psi void the warranty outright?

No i do not care for warrantee as i know couple BMW tech that have done work for me with tune and downpipe installed. What i am concerned is good oil to run for 7500 miles that i can pick up at walmart for a good price.

The M1 0W-40 you see at WM isn't LL-01 rated.

Originally Posted By: Farmer

The M1 0W-40 you see at WM isn't LL-01 rated.

All M1 0w40 is not LL01. Formula has been changed.

Still working on old jugs of M1 0W-40 that are pre-FS. I'd actually prefer the thinner stuff as my car is specced for a 30 grade anyways.

whistle.gif
25.gif
38.gif
50.gif
56.gif
39.gif
49.gif
50.gif
48.gif
45.gif
43.gif
40.gif

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Go with Castrol Edge 0w-40, probably one of the only choices at Walmart now for a true LL-01 on the bottle oil.

Of course, M1 0w-40 would still work fine but for warranty concerns maybe not.

On second thought, your warranty is out the door anyway with a high PSI like that so M1 0w-40 would still work great and is GTL now.

I didn't know mobil had GTL now?! Is there a reference somewhere of what oils are GTL? I only knew of PP and T6.

GTL must work (some?) ,
because Pennzoil sells Euro Platinum with LL-04 in a 5W-30.....

but strangely not in 0W-40?!? I wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back