What oil recommended for 1993 5sfe Mr2 145k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently picked up a mint 1993 MR2 hardtop N/A 5sfe 2.2L as my main vehicle, and only vehicle. Car has 145k miles on it and runs perfectly.

What oil/filter do you recommend? The previous owner said he had been using Valvoline fully synthetic (not high mileage) 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.

Without thinking I just grabbed a jug of 5w30 Valvoline synthetic and a Purolator BOSS filter. Because I already have this stuff bought, I will use it this time. What should I use in the future? Should I move to a high mileage oil? Fram Ultra filter instead? The car leaks NO oil and seems to burn very little oil (maybe 1/2 quart in 3k miles). I live in Denver so the car will see 100f in the summer and 0f in the winter.

The Toyota guys say to just run the cheapest 5w30 synthetic you can buy in this engine because it is nothing special, but I plan to have this car for LOTS more miles and want to take care of it. If Walmart brand Supertech 5w30 fully synthetic is really the way to go, that is great as it saves money and is a nice jump from my last car, which was a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which needed Rotella T6 and STILL burned a decent amount of oil.

Thanks everyone!

I would just use a good quality oil you can buy on oil special. I imagine the supertech synthetic would be perfectly fine, but pick your favorite brand of oil and use their synthetic. Valvoline should be perfectly fine as should Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil, etc. I personally tend to use castrol products or Mobil products.

I don't understand running a 5W-30 in the winter and a 10W-30 in the summer. Pick one and run it year round with your filter of choice.

Originally Posted By: 55Test
A good 5w30 non-synthetic is fine in that engine, the Toyota S engines weren't real fancy about what oil they liked

I'll probably keep it on synthetic because it has been for so many miles, but not being picky about oil is good by me!

The 5SFE really isn't picky on oil. I had one in my previous 97' Camry and my current 00' Camry. It burns the same amount of oil on HM or regular oil, HM synthetic or regular synthetic oil and sounds the same. UOA always comes back great.

In my current Camry I have run Chevron Supreme HM, Pennzoil conventional HM, Pennzoil Platinum HM, and now currently Mobil 1 EP.

Next oil change will probably be with Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 that I have in my stash of oil.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi OP,

Welcome !!!

Mid 90's MR2, nice car, mid-engine two door. It must be a fun drive.

Thanks! It's an awesome car. It's the first of the cars on posters in my bedroom as a kid that I actually get to own.

OP - what's your planned OCI? What type of driving does the car see - stop & go, lots of highway?

Originally Posted By: bigt61
OP - what's your planned OCI? What type of driving does the car see - stop & go, lots of highway?

does about 30 miles (15 each way) a day during the week split about 60/40 highway/stop and go. One day a week in the summer months I do about a 100 mile round trip mountain/highway cruise. In the winter it'll be pretty much the 30 miles a day only. I plan to do 5000mi on full synthetic and change filter and oil.

I'd prolly switch to Maxlife 5W-30 (red bottle) year round. It's not a new engine anymore. Has time (age) on the seals. It's good all around oil readily available
smile.gif

Prolly run Fram ToughGuard filter ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'd prolly switch to Maxlife 5W-30 (red bottle) year round. It's not a new engine anymore. Has time (age) on the seals. It's good all around oil readily available
smile.gif

Been hearing good stuff about that oil. I will probably switch my car and my GFs matrix (currently on PenzPlat High Mileage) over to it so we can use the same oil, next change.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
smile.gif

Yeah, I think you'd be fine w the MaxLife Blend based on a 5k OCI. Any cheap filter will work well. If you opt for the TG filter, you can likely double stint it. As always, keep that baby topped off and it will go a long way.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Recently picked up a mint 1993 MR2 hardtop N/A 5sfe 2.2L as my main vehicle, and only vehicle. Car has 145k miles on it and runs perfectly.

What oil/filter do you recommend? The previous owner said he had been using Valvoline fully synthetic (not high mileage) 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.

Without thinking I just grabbed a jug of 5w30 Valvoline synthetic and a Purolator BOSS filter. Because I already have this stuff bought, I will use it this time. What should I use in the future? Should I move to a high mileage oil? Fram Ultra filter instead? The car leaks NO oil and seems to burn very little oil (maybe 1/2 quart in 3k miles). I live in Denver so the car will see 100f in the summer and 0f in the winter.

The Toyota guys say to just run the cheapest 5w30 synthetic you can buy in this engine because it is nothing special, but I plan to have this car for LOTS more miles and want to take care of it. If Walmart brand Supertech 5w30 fully synthetic is really the way to go, that is great as it saves money and is a nice jump from my last car, which was a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which needed Rotella T6 and STILL burned a decent amount of oil.

Thanks everyone!

The Toyota guys are right. Cheapest 5w30 synth will be more than enough to do what you want with it on a naturally aspirated MR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back