Oil For Kohler Courage 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Cub Cadet zero turn mower with a Kohler Courage 22 horse engine, and was wondering what's the best oil for it. I've got Rotella T5 15w-40 that I use in my motorcycle, and was considering using that.

Rotella T5 in 10W-30, with a Fram 3614 filter or equivalent...

Walmart has SuperTech filters back in stock...

A Fram 3600 will work, if it fits. It's nearly 5 inches long verses 3 and a half for the 3614...
I am using an AutoZone STP S3600 myself on my LT200 lawn tractor...

The OEM filter is Fram 8172, it's 2 and a half inches tall...

Really cold weather use I use Castrol Edge 0W-30, but that's hard to find...

Last edited:
"10W-30 (Command Oil) is recommended for Command, Courage, Command PRO, Command PRO CS, Triad OHC, and Aegis engines for temperatures above freezing (32°F, 0°C). SAE-30 is an acceptable substitute if temperatures are above 50°F, 10°C. K-Series and Magnum engines should use SAE 30 (Magnum Oil) above freezing. 5W-20 or 5W-30 can be used in all engines when temperatures are below freezing. For more complete oil specifications refer to your owner's manual. For optimum performance, Kohler's special blend oils are available from your KOHLER dealer.

Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used, however oil changes still need to be performed at the recommended intervals. To allow the piston rings to seat properly, Kohler recommends operating a new or rebuilt engine for at least 50 hours on standard oil before switching to the synthetic oil." Source: http://www.kohlerengines.com/maintenance/faqs.htm

Kohler 10W-30 Universal engine oil. It is a dual rated oil. Check you local hardware stores that sale and service mowers. I bought a quart for $2.99 this past Spring.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/accessories/kohlerOil.htm

Rotella 10W30 or Delo 10W30 are good. Supertech SAE30 works fine too. The engines dont care, as long as you change it regularly and keep it above the minimum line.

A synthetic 10W30 will run 5 to 10 degrees cooler if you really give the engine a workout. If you want to stock one oil to share between your motorcycle and mower, the 15W40 would work fine.

I've got that engine in a Husqvarna lawn tractor. I run Mobil 1 EP 10W/30 and an autozone STP filter. Been doing that combo for the last 4 years. I also added an oil temp gauge and it never seems to get past 250 on a hot Texas day cutting acres of grass. I change the oil twice a year based on the mowing I do.

I have used M1 10-30 for years in all my OPE including the 21 HP Briggs Craftsman rider.

Ive got the similar Kohler 26HP twin engine in my zero turn Crafstman mower thats 5 years old. I use AMSOIL's 4 stroke 10w-30/30w oil. I have virtually NO oil consumption in our mowing season at all, the oil still is clear on the dipstick but I change it annually when I put it to bed for the winter. We mow 5 acres about every 10 days from May through Sept., each time taking about 4 hours. I even flipped the mower a year ago by trying to mow a road ditch that was too steep and over it went. I was lucky to crawl out from under it with just a stiff back and mild headache but the kill switch under the seat saved me as it stopped the engine and blades immediately. I pulled the mower back onto its wheels and after about 30 minutes, started it and drove it back to the garage, smoking all the way with oil that had drained into the cylinders. I had to replace a few bent pieces of the drive handles but it's started and ran perfectly ever since.
smile.gif

RHALL, Obviously there's nothing wrong with 10w30 or SAE30 or any other range or combination of your choice. Like we say over and over in these threads. These engines are not picky. They'll run on any engine oil provided a proper level is kept and a reasonable change interval is followed. I'm assuming this Courage is a V-twin? They're a basic jamb-nut valve lash adjustment engine. I personally like 15w40 for small air cooled OPE engines and have substituted that for basic SAE30 or 10w30 years ago. I like knowing I have a heavy-duty engine oil in the sump.

I've also mentioned this many times, but I owned a 2010 model year Cub Z-Force with a 20hp Courage V-twin. Cub actually recommended "Rimula 15w40" for both the engine and the HydoGear ZT2800 drives on this ZTR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back