Your Semi-Synthetic Witch Brew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many quarts of dino oil versus how many of synthetic do you use?

For me presently, it is four quarts of Toyota 5W-30 dino with two quarts of Mobil Extended Performance 15W-50 in the crankcase. For winter, I will use Mobil 0W-40, but the Toyota oil will be the same.

The car is a 1996 Avalon with a 6 cylinder, 1MZ-FE engine.

1.1L Pennzoil Ultra
1.5L Formula 1 Synthetic
1L Pennzoil Yellow Bottle

All 5W20, this will be my Winter fill this year to get rid of leftovers, it is going in in late October.

Using a Wix 57356 filter.

I had to do this at work once.

7 Quarts Pennzoil 15w40 CJ-4
8 Quarts M1 5w40 Diesel CJ-4

I can't remember making weird oil mixtures unless I was at a job where there were shortages of the right stuff.

The secret to making the blend perform at its best and believe my as I am a professional is to pour the conventional oil with your left hand and the syn oil with your right hand. This is for the northern hemisphere. If you blend in the southern hemisphere you will have to reverse the procedure to obtain the best results. Which would be pour the conventional with your right hand and pour the syn with your lest hand. To not adhere to the proper procedure will result in a failure to obtain the results desired.

I use all synthetic since it's usually on sale for the price of dino. For example, Napa Synthetic is $2.99 this month. Kmart frequently has Smitty's syn blend on sale for $1.99/qt, and the 5qt jug is often $10 or less. It's 10% PAO.

Why are you using such thick oil for the 1MZ? Any 5w30 will work fine.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The secret to making the blend perform at its best and believe my as I am a professional is to pour the conventional oil with your left hand and the syn oil with your right hand. This is for the northern hemisphere. If you blend in the southern hemisphere you will have to reverse the procedure to obtain the best results. Which would be pour the conventional with your right hand and pour the syn with your lest hand. To not adhere to the proper procedure will result in a failure to obtain the results desired.

Does it matter which one goes in first? It seems like I should always pour the conventional first, then follow it with the synthetic so that I rinse the conventional out of the cracks and crevices and it gets a good mix. I'm accustomed to buying one container, ironically a blend of synthetic and conventional so this is all new to me.

No 'formula' mix for my Accent.

Using up a stash of 12 quart bottles of Pennzoil SM syn blend 5w-30. 3Qt goes in as the Accent takes 3.5Qt with new filter. The additional 0.5Qt is whatever full synthetic 5w-30 on hand (plus pre-fill oil filter). Nothing special.

Why mix oils when you don't need to.

Although non group 5 based oils are supposed to be OK to mix, there is no guarantee about the final performance of a home brew.

Last edited:

What do you recommend for the equatorial regions ??

That sounds like a certain religious ritual...

Originally Posted By: alcyon

That sounds like a certain religious ritual...
I pour them all in a great big bucket with a snap on lid, then shake vigorously for 2-3 hours, have to make sure it's all mixed together before I dump it in. Maybe a giant paint shaker would be easier?
wink.gif

I'm using a modified fully syn brew based on the Catherham blend:

50% TGMO 0w-20
50% Castrol Edge 0w-40
15 oz Lubegard Bio/tech

Why isn't anyone talking about the filters? I cut a Fram Ultra in half and then weld it together with the cheapest oil filter I can find. This way I have something that really goes with the frankenbrew!

I save all my leftover bacon grease in a giant coffee can, and then when it comes time to do my oil change, I pour it all straight in the oil fill hole, and then top off with however much of whatever 0w20 I have on hand that it takes to bring it to the 'full' mark.

But it HAS to be Oscar Meyer bacon. Very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back