Under valve cover pics - Shell Helix 3 20W-50 Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

Rockers by Capri Driver, en Flickr
Rockers by Capri Driver, en Flickr

alcyon from Malaysia was right, there is appreciatable varnish on the rockers, but no sludge, but keep in mind before that it hadn't had an oil change in 2 or 3 years
We'll see if maybe VR1 cleans it up a bit?
I currently have the valve covers off to change the valve stem seals so i can take more pics

Looks ok to me sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Pretty good considering the age of the Capri...

Agreed,I think it looks great!

I guess it is good considering it has seen nothing but Group 1 Dino oils and Motorcraft filters for most of it's life, it is on it's second engine because the original blew up in 1990 , the current engine has around 150k miles but car has 490.000Km ( 304k miles ) on the original gearbox and diff.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Looks good for 26 years & 150K. Wonder if PYB 20W50 is available in Spain, that would clean it up, & the extra moly wouldn't it hurt any either.

Pennzoil is not available in Spain or anywhere in Europe afaik, but Kroon oil which i think is the same oil just rebranded is available in Europe, although i haven't seen it ever in Spain on the shelves or online.

Looks superbly clean rocker assemblies with only mineral oils ....... good job FCD.
thumbsup2.gif

Edit:That minor varnish is harmless, I suppose.

Last edited:
Ah, the good old days.Reminds me adjusting valves on my 1954 Ford OHV V8. Adjust at operating temperature running. Oil all over everything by the time I finished. Probably .010 on the intakes and '014 exhaust. PITA

For 150K, that motor looks great. Many are much worse and run fine. I'd say that moving to modern oils will prolly take some of that off in the next 50K or so
laugh.gif

Pressed rocker studs with a water heated choke bi-metal...nice!

Good luck with those new seals. Interested in fitment with respect to consumption. Kindly update in due course.

We'll see if the new seals slow down consumption, it took me 4 hours to chsnge the seals on 6 valves with the help of a friend but it's my first time and i have a fairly complicated spring compressor that is awkward to use, i also lost the keepers 3 times when they fell on top of the sump guard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back