Is Magnetec the hottest oil on BITOG right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like there's a lot of buzz around this relatively recent addition to the GTX line. Products get popular in waves around here, such as the German Castrol wave, and PYB being universally supported at one point. Even Purolator filters until the torn media defect surfaced. Is Magnetec the latest "gotta have it" oil?

And to those who have used it or are using it right now, how has your experience been? I hear it's very quiet running. Might try the 5W-20 for my next OCI with a splash of stop-leak.

I have a voa on clubcivic posted by HockeyZombies off 0w20 Magnatec. Its fantastic oil. Sometimes I mix with Edge oil 0w20 but I'm going full Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Seems like there's a lot of buzz around this relatively recent addition to the GTX line.

Dunno about the US, but I think they've been using that name (maybe for different stuff) for at least 20 years in the UK.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Seems like there's a lot of buzz around this relatively recent addition to the GTX line.

Dunno about the US, but I think they've been using that name (maybe for different stuff) for at least 20 years in the UK.

Same here, we've had it since the 90's. Magnatec is their mid range oil here, between GTX at the lower end and Edge at the top.

Yeah, I think Castrol Magnatec has been in Australia since then 90's. It's always been very popular here in the 10W-40 semi-synthetic form, a step up from the regular 15W-40 mineral oil.

I have mostly bypassed it, using either a full mineral oil like GTX or Penrite; or gone to a full synthetic oil like Edge or Shell Helix. For semi-synthetic I mostly went for Valvoline DuraBlend. All good oils.

However, recently I found myself wanting a 10W-30 PCMO that was Euro A3/B4 rated and not ILSAC GF-5 rated and not a HDEO. Nothing wrong with either of the other two, but I wanted A3/B4 and in 10W30. The only option that I could easily find was semi-synthetic Magnatec 10W-30 (SN, A3/B4).

So I put that in the car recently, and yes it is the smoothest oil I have ever used in this car. Not perfect, as there is still a bit of warm up noise under light throttle, but better than anything else I have used.

I have mentioned this before, but for the first two weeks, I was so surprised by the smoothness of Magnatec 10W-30 at idle, that I often found myself looking at my instrument cluster while at red traffic lights to ensure my car was still running. It was so smooth, I thought the engine had stopped, but it was always running fine. I don't look down anymore when stopped as I'm more accustomed to it.

Of course, just seat of the pants observations, not a controlled experiment. I have also been playing around with weight grades and oil filters. But yeah, it's a nice oil for the money and worth trying.

We also get a nice full synthetic Magnatec 5W-30 (SN, A3/B4) in Australia that I am keen to try next.

It's the latest hot oil on Bitog. Edge SM gold bottle was a few years ago, then Castrol messed with the formula and it fell out of grace. PU had the title for a while, messed with the formula and fell out of grace. Now it's Castrol's turn again. I'm sure like all hot products on Bitog it's good, and it will give up the crown to another oil, just give it some time.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I use CM in everything but Mobil 1 is the king on here.
I don't use it myself.

M1 seems to stay on top of the pedestal around here.. not in my house!

Castrol GTX and their other offerings have always been decent quality, "sleeper" oils..

I switched from AFE to PU, and plan on running all three of my vehicles on it as long as WMT continues to carry it online.

It's funny that this topic just got brought up because I was looking at a jug of it on sale at Walmart yesterday. I believe it was $17 for a five quart jug - I thought about picking it up but I didn't know much about it. I always thought it was a synthetic blend, but in the 5w20 wright it says "full synthetic"...but in the 5w30 it didn't.

I probably will go back and buy some of the 5w20 even though I don't need anything right now (I have 30 quarts of Mobil 1 laying around because of their rebate program...which they never rebated me for by the way). Did anyone else not get rebated by Mobil 1?

I'd like to learn a little more about Castrol Magnetic...VOA, etc...because at $17 bucks, it seems like a good deal right now.

In the US I believe the 0W20 and 5W20 Magnatec is full synthetic. The 5W30 is semi-synthetic but it has produced some very good UOA's

Here is the first in a series from KJSmith, all running the 5W30 semi-syn Magnatec
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3839330/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3940342/

In Australia the 5W30 stop-start Magnatec is full synthetic and the 10W30 and 10W40 are both semi-synthetic.

In Europe it is different again, see
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4157035/

Originally Posted By: Miller88
When can Supertech be in the spotlight? Then I'll be cool!

That has a cult like following. They are out there, silent majority (myself included from time to time.)

What ever happened to DEFY either? That was the craze for a while too. More zinc!!

So far Magenetec SS ran better than the EDGE Gold Bottle XP I got in there. Ran em back to back. Not sure I'm a Ti package fan. Ill give the edge another 1000 miles to get bedded in. I also juts got another bad tank of fuel then MY LTFA tanked 0.4mpg in 3 days (to 25.4) Believe me gas is messed up around here!
M1 has underperformed in most anything Ive used it since it was turned SS GpIII. Whaddya want for 5 bucks a qt? Magic?

Originally Posted By: SR5
In Australia the 5W30 stop-start Magnatec is full synthetic and the 10W30 and 10W40 are both semi-synthetic.

So are Malaysia ..... will give 10W30 a go, though I'd not been a fan of xW30 for decades.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: SR5

So are Malaysia ..... will give 10W30 a go, though I'd not been a fan of xW30 for decades.
in malaysia magnatec is always semi syn. Where did you see full syn magnatec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back