Walmart quit watching their self checkout monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
People learned to use the machines mostly. The person was there to assist more then validate honestly l think.
You can't learn to use stuff that doesn't work. Unfortunately I was in WM the other night to get a couple things. I try to stay out of there. Half of the self checkout registers had the light on waiting for the one employee to come around and do something. The 3-4 regular checkout lines open were 5-6 deep. I left my buggy sitting in the isle. Checkout was a lot easier.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Integrity = doing the right thing even when no one is looking...

Agreed. Up here, some stores charge for plastic bags, obviously in an effort to reduce usage, or at least a token effort, but that's another matter. In any case, I know people who question me every time I pay for the five cent bags. It isn't obvious to them? Yet, if the store was routinely charging them an extra nickel for no apparent reason, they'd be the first to be screaming at the customer service desk.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
People learned to use the machines mostly. The person was there to assist more then validate honestly l think.

Even if you know how to work them properly I find that 50% of the time something doesn't work right--usually an item that won't scan or comes up with the wrong price for something on sale. Even when using the cashier at the supermarket I catch a lot of mispriced items, but then the cashier usually just overrides it and keeps going.

Not to change the Subject, but:
Once stores (in my neck of the woods) went to using Bar Codes, there is a Law that says if the price is incorrect (too high), the Store has to refund to you the error times ten. Up to $10.00
When I see a price error, I pay for the item and get a receipt, then dispute the price.
Example: Price rung up is .63 cents to much. You would get a refund of $6.30
Example: If the price rung up is $1.25 too much, you would only get back $10.00

It works for me.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It has its advantages. You can buy your "personal stuff" without the employee handling it. Before using self checkout, I would have to find a female cashier because some stuff I don't want guys touching.

yeah...that's NOT weird............
13.gif

Self checkout is great when you have just a couple of items and you want to be out of the store quickly.

Originally Posted By: Doog
It has its advantages. You can buy your "personal stuff" without the employee handling it. Before using self checkout, I would have to find a female cashier because some stuff I don't want guys touching.

13.gif

He must mean ammo and fishing lures.. can't even imagine what's being referred to and don't want to know.

One time the bell at the exit door went off as a young lady was exiting the store. I asked an employee why they weren't chasing her down. The employee told me they're not aloud to chase down customers anymore.

I once worked somewhere where gates at the door were installed and the company rep told us not to pursue anyone if they set off the alarm. Why? He told the story of a deaf person who got tackled because they had no idea the alarm went off and they tried to fight back. Oh, and the store clerk had forgotten to remove one of the sensors. He said it took "six figures" to keep it out of court. So the alarm is a visual deterrent.

John

13.gif

Who touched it stocking it?

On the rare occasion that I have nothing better to do with my time than waste it hassling in Wal-Mart to save a few pennies, its about 50/50 using self-checkout vs regular.

Ive long thought that these systems use mass basis and a rudimentary "change in photo" scan to determine what is there. That's why when you use the self checkout at HD to buy a pack of small hardware, its so light and nearly invisible, so it snags you every time.

Then the checker person has to bypass it.

What's more obnoxious is any store that marks your receipt without actually looking in the bags. Last time I was in walmart, I asked that person (who caught me, usually I ignore them and storm out) why they thought I was a crook. They didn't have a good answer, so I asked them why they arent looking at every item in my bag. No good answer. Yet another reason I avoid that place as much as possible. There just isn't enough decent savings on Chinesium junk that I cant get elsewhere woth less hassle.

Remember "The MAN" advanced directed beliefs and morality into a means of government to keep the plebes in line. The OP realizes this, but the old men here are still bamboozeled by this precept and a false concept of integrity.

Dont we have any 70 year old hippies left here?

Last edited:
Who cares if you aren't being watched. Do the right thing and it doesn't matter.
I see police cars all the time at my local Walmart. The last time I was there the officer was out front holding a small baby. Not sure where the mother was but it didn't look good.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The police are getting called out to the local WalMart all the time for shoplifters.They are watching.

There are always police at my local WalMart.

Guaranteed they are watching - even if you don't see someone right there.

Sad that someone feels like they are being honest for nothing. "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching".

I also don't get the paranoia over a cashier handling your stuff. Its their job and being at Walmart, you can pretty much assume they've seen it all. Afterall, how did your stuff get on the shelf in the first place? A robot sure didn't put it there...

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
I absolutely refuse to use "self checkout" at any store! It is the companies responsibility to ring up and bag their stuff, not mine. If I wanted a job at walmart, I would submit a job application!

Me too. I used to work the midnight shift, so I would do my shopping on my off day when I was awake, usually after midnight at Wal-Mart. I had $250 worth of groceries in my cart, and when I got to the front to checkout, I was informed that they no longer had a night shift cashier and I had to check out myself. Not happening, I left that overflowing cart with $250 worth of groceries right there and left.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What's more obnoxious is any store that marks your receipt without actually looking in the bags. Last time I was in walmart, I asked that person (who caught me, usually I ignore them and storm out) why they thought I was a crook. They didn't have a good answer, so I asked them why they arent looking at every item in my bag. No good answer.

I would gather they're doing that just to ensure you actually went through a checkout, rather than grabbing stuff and walking out with it. The wholesale club up here used to do that all the time, marking a receipt upon exit without verifying what one actually bought.

I suppose it ensures you actually went through some payment procedure (not verifying the accuracy, of course) and that you're not using an old receipt, either.

Originally Posted By: John_K

13.gif

Who touched it stocking it?

HEY, ANY OF YOU GUYS TOUCH MY STUFF.....AND I'LL KILL YA...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Remember "The MAN" advanced directed beliefs and morality into a means of government to keep the plebes in line. The OP realizes this, but the old men here are still bamboozeled by this precept and a false concept of integrity.

Dont we have any 70 year old hippies left here?

Please elaborate.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What's more obnoxious is any store that marks your receipt without actually looking in the bags. Last time I was in walmart, I asked that person (who caught me, usually I ignore them and storm out) why they thought I was a crook. They didn't have a good answer, so I asked them why they arent looking at every item in my bag. No good answer.

I would gather they're doing that just to ensure you actually went through a checkout, rather than grabbing stuff and walking out with it. The wholesale club up here used to do that all the time, marking a receipt upon exit without verifying what one actually bought.

I suppose it ensures you actually went through some payment procedure (not verifying the accuracy, of course) and that you're not using an old receipt, either.
The reason they mark your receipt is to ensure that you don't make another run through the store and pickup the same items and reuse the same receipt.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

You just go ahead and try and "forget" to scan something. You will not make it to the front door before being accosted.

This.

I've seen people get stopped before going out the door by walmart employees I never even saw coming. Cameras are everywhere this day in age. Usually when you think someone might not be watching is when EVERYONE is watching.

Notice how more walmarts have the door greeters/receipt checkers at the door? Those are to slow you down while the security people make their way towards you.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
lately, nobody's been standing in front of the monitor screen.

Oh, they're watching. There are cameras all over the place near the ceiling.

Walmart operates on razor-thin margins. Theft (known as "shrinkage" in the retail industry) is very damaging to the bottom line, so they ARE watching.

You just go ahead and try and "forget" to scan something. You will not make it to the front door before being accosted.

Indeed they do. I've got a buddy that's an area manager for WM 'shrinkage management dept'. There's eyes ALL over those place in WM stores.

Big theft issues with their employees as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back