Adios "Hencho en Mexico" batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first spotted the "Made in Saudi Arabia" JCI batteries last year, they seemed like a novelty.

Now, I see they're spreading to more applications, particularly the Hx/4x/9x sizes common to European cars.

Never seemed to make much sense to ship plastic cases of lead halfway around the world, which is why OE and OE replacement batteries are often not the same, so the cost savings really must be worthwhile for them to make and ship them from so far away to North America, replacing the Mexican-made products.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is that the Saudi government has really been trying to diversify their economy out of being a one trick pony (oil) and probably gave JCI one heck of a deal.

I'll take Mexican batteries any day of the week over the Saudi ones. ACDelcos here are Saudi, I wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot pole. They last just over a year, enough to go over the warranty period, and you get rid of them.

I got Motorcraft Tested Tough MAX batteries on all my vehicles. Hopefully those will continue to made in the Mexico.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The only thing I can think of is that the Saudi government has really been trying to diversify their economy out of being a one trick pony (oil) and probably gave JCI one heck of a deal.
I read a story in the paper a couple weeks ago covering this topic. The Saudi government is desperate to diversify, the current oil prices are causing them to run up huge deficits, and they need that money to keep the masses from revolting.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I read a story in the paper a couple weeks ago covering this topic. The Saudi government is desperate to diversify, the current oil prices are causing them to run up huge deficits, and they need that money to keep the masses from revolting.

They could turn down the taps a bit and stop flooding the market with cheap oil.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: Inspecktor

They could turn down the taps a bit and stop flooding the market with cheap oil.

...and every other producer would simply open their own taps up to take advantage of reduced Saudi production.
The Saudis should be building significant GTL capacity to take advantage of the now mostly wasted (flared off) natural gas, which is always found with oil.

They'd like to limit production a little bit, but since Iran didn't come to the table at the last big OPEC meeting it was a bust. If the price goes too low it hurts their own economies. If the price goes "too high" it introduces more U.S. supplied fracked oil into the market and boosts the income of radical Islamic groups who also depend upon oil for the lion's share of their revenues.

It's been a blessing in the past for them, but it's turning into more of a curse. Diversification would be a good thing.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'll take Mexican batteries any day of the week over the Saudi ones. ACDelcos here are Saudi, I wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot pole. They last just over a year, enough to go over the warranty period, and you get rid of them.

I got Motorcraft Tested Tough MAX batteries on all my vehicles. Hopefully those will continue to made in the Mexico.

Now that's interesting info imo. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

The Saudis should be building significant GTL capacity to take advantage of the now mostly wasted (flared off) natural gas, which is always found with oil.

Smartest move they could make - GTL, LNG, etc. They need to get every dollar they can from the resource. And diversify their economy...

I have always been really annoyed at flare pipes just wasting it into the atmosphere (heat and CO2) when it could be put to use
frown.gif

we really need a stable Saudi Arabia and if selling batteries below cost to their neighbors keeps the populace happy that is better than letting them sit around the house, bored and angry, looking at ISIS videos that explain what a wonderful life they would have under ISIS.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
we really need a stable Saudi Arabia and if selling batteries below cost to their neighbors keeps the populace happy that is better than letting them sit around the house, bored and angry, looking at ISIS videos that explain what a wonderful life they would have under ISIS.

Even a stable Saudi Arabia is not the most friendly to us. They use their one resource to extort foreign help when it really should be Saudis on the ground cleaning up their neighborhood instead of the Western Powers.

I have been saying for years I cannot wait until mideast oil becomes irrelevant. They will go back to tribal infighting, hacking each other up with swords and shooting each other with guns....and the west won't have to care or worry if it doesn't want to.

Last edited:
Seems like it'd be expensive to import batteries from Saudi Arabia, given the weight/density of batteries. They weigh more than tires, and in some cases, they even weigh more than tire/wheel combos--and all this in a package the size of a toaster.!

Mexico costs less because it's fairly close to the US and can be transported ground.

Deka from Pennsylvania is still the best though
smile.gif

I guess if you are broke and mad at Johnson Controls for this, most Exides still wear a Made in USA sticker. Sure they are *insert swear word for excrement*, but they are OUR *insert swear word for excrement*!

Last edited:
I guess if you are broke and mad at Johnson Controls for this, most Exides still wear a Made in USA sticker. Sure they are *insert swear word for excrement*, but they are OUR *insert swear word for excrement*!

ROFLMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back