Where to recycle gear oil/trans fluid/anti-freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Jeep is just about at 100K, so its time to change the fluids in the trans, transfer case, differentials and cooling system.

I followed the links off of mobils website for used oil recycling, but no one takes all the other stuff. Where to I take it to be recycled?

my zip is 16441 BTW...

I have not had any trouble mixing ATF and gear oils in with used motor oil for recyling.

Most radiator shops will take small quantities of used coolant.

The various government agencies who claim to be so concerned with recycling really have dropped the ball on everything except motor oil IMO.

John

I don't know about Erie, but down here my county has a recycling center, one stop for about everything. Motor oil is free but curiously they charge a little to drop off antifreeze.
I know the local AutoZone store takes used oil.

They've really dropped the ball on antifreeze around here, too. Your best bet, and what my county told me, was to call around to places that offer cooling system flushes to see if they'll take it. Neither the city nor the county accept it. They make it a real PITA.

I work at a radiator shop in SoCal. I can't even get rid of old antifreeze! I have called several places to come get it and no ones interested.

My boss has been putting it into sealed 55 gallon drums and putting them out back. We have 1 that has decient used stuff in it that we use in customers cars when they are flat broke and it's slowly dwindling away.

But the nasty Dexcool drums nobody will touch.

I've experienced many of the same problems.

Many parts stores and quickie oil lubes will take used motor/gear oil.

None of them will accept used oil filters.

Nobody will take antifreeze.

Nobody will take brake fluid.

Nobody knows of anybody who will take antifreeze or brake fluid.

"So what do YOU guys do with it?" I ask them on the phone.

"Uhhhh... the manager takes care of it."

[Insert assumptions here]

Used brake fluid is a tough one.

Check with your city on the antifreeze. Some municipal sewer treatment plants can handle small amounts of amtifreeze. You may be able to dilute it and pour it down the sink.

mr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back