Subaru extra MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this oil just a 75w80 gl5? The 5 gallon bucket of it says 75w80 and the alternate is 75w90 gl5, what do you think? I'm planning my first front diff oil change and looking for options. (2016 Outback 2.5) The few companies that make 75w80 gl5 don't recommend it for Subaru right now.

It's not exactly specd it just says use Subaru extra MT or 75w90 gl5 but you will lose drivability and fuel economy or something like that. I think 75w80 gl5 is it but looking for more input.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
It's not exactly specd it just says use Subaru extra MT or 75w90 gl5 but you will lose drivability and fuel economy or something like that. I think 75w80 gl5 is it but looking for more input.

Subaru didn't expressly tell you: that extra MT/75W80 is offering weaker MOFT thickness and components protection in the obsessive pursuit of 'drivability' and 'fuel economy'.

I worry that I sound like a parrot sometimes, but Redline MTL would be perfect in this application from both drivability and wear protection perspectives

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Is this Subaru Extra-S?

Can you take a photo and share the part number?

+1 I've never heard of Subarus Go Extra-S without the at least the "S"

It's been a while, but the stuff I'm thinking of is a 75W-90.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I worry that I sound like a parrot sometimes, but Redline MTL would be perfect in this application from both drivability and wear protection perspectives

Probably not, if the OP is wanting a straight gear oil for his AT front diff or rear diff.

Also, is Redline MTL GL-5?

Alright, it looks like the Extra MT is a new item. 75w-80, and it's listed as the factory fill for the diff in your owner's manual. 75w-90 GL-5 is also allowed.

This isn't a case where limited slip clutches need to be dealt with. My choice would be Motul Gear 300, but the Red Line option or Amsoil Severe Gear would do fine.

Be careful.

Determine if the Sube's system is a transmission that shares the same sump with a hypoid differential.

IF this is a shared sump system, then the special 75W90 GL5 is indicated, such as the Subaru Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid or the Ford XT-75W90-QGT.

This new fluid could be simply a lower viscosity equivalent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Be careful.

Determine if the Sube's system is a transmission that shares the same sump with a hypoid differential.

IF this is a shared sump system, then the special 75W90 GL5 is indicated, such as the Subaru Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid or the Ford XT-75W90-QGT.

The 2016 Outback is CVT-only, and has a separate front differential.

Also, the old Extra-S is no longer available. It was replaced by ([censored]) Subaru HPGO.

RedOak- How many miles on this 2016? I know I considered doing a drain/fill on my 5spd XV Crosstrek when I owned it because it looked so easy on the 5spd, but traded it in before I got around to it.

How do you like the 6spd? I couldn't STAND the 5spd/FB20 combo in the XV, thus the 2016 CVT Forester.

I've got just under 12k on it. I have to admit I really like the Cvt and I never use the paddles. It auto down shifts and holds down hill speeds perfectly. I do want a 6speed wrx though, I test drove one last weekend.

I've got just under 12k on it. I have to admit I really like the Cvt and I never use the paddles. It auto down shifts and holds down hill speeds perfectly. I do want a 6speed wrx though, I test drove one last weekend.

Ah! I guess I misread. I didn't realize you were referring to the front diff on a CVT model.

FWIW, based on what I've read with people changing it, the front diff oil always looks good and clean, where the rear, not so much. Rear is so easy to change, it's hard not to. I've used Supertech 75w90 in mine.

Last edited:
Be careful.

Also, the old Extra-S is no longer available. It was replaced by ([censored]) Subaru HPGO.

OK, but the Title was Subaru extra MT.

The last thing that seems odd to me is why would Subaru use 75w80 in the front diff and 75w90 in the rear?

FE >> Drivability ........

targetting those in sub-zero ambients.

I would've rationalised it to only xxW90 for components durability in my climate.
blush.gif

Be careful.

OK, but the Title was Subaru extra MT.

Yes, I saw that. Subaru Extra MT and HPGO are new items; Extra-S is no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back