255/45R18 opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as an update:

I'm working a deal on some Audi A8L 20" take-offs. Found a good deal on some Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S in 275/35R20 so I am most likely going that route.

I plan on coding the car to sit 10mm lower at the ROW (Rest of World) ride height. I may fib the adaptation for another 5mm or so.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Just as an update:

I'm working a deal on some Audi A8L 20" take-offs. Found a good deal on some Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S in 275/35R20 so I am most likely going that route.

My goals are quiet ride, comfort, and reasonable able mileage.

My guess is that with the above setup, you will achieve none of these goals.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just as an update:

My goals are quiet ride, comfort, and reasonable able mileage.

My guess is that with the above setup, you will achieve none of these goals.
smile.gif

Yeah...if you're looking for comfort, ride, or tread life, the 35 series tires on 20" wheels are absolutely the worst thing you could do...it'll ride harshly, and get poor tread life while costing hundreds of dollars more to buy tires.

It'll look great...but that's about the only improvement.

Stick with the 45 series on 18" wheels if you want any kind of decent ride, or want the tires to last, or want them to survive potholes, or want to save hundreds on the purchase of each tire...

I will admit, that is a hesitation.

It was an OEM size on the Phaeton, however, and other owners still feel the vehicle is pretty isolated even with the larger wheels and tires.

Perhaps I'm suffering the modification bug even with this one, and I'm losing sight of what I love about the car.

Guys love to install 19" and 20" wheels on Mercedes S-class cars, too.

Some claim that it rides great, while others admit that you experience significantly more harshness...it's a matter of opinion...and personal preference...

I love the 19" AMG wheels for the W-220, for example, but even the 19" tires have a more limited selection, and significantly higher price over the 18". The 20" get very pricey very quickly...

I value the smooth ride of my S-class, and wouldn't want to spend that kind of $$ knowing I might not like the result.

Last edited:
I like the DWS06 better than the DWS. I run them on one of my vehicles because I've found no better (affordable) option in 275/45R20. On my car that uses 245/45/18 I run Michelin pilot super sports. My top priorities are handling and quiet. I also expect tires to be perfectly round and ride smoothly on smooth roads. Our roads are good so I don't have to deal with Southern California interstates that bang your kidneys apart.

If you go with the 20" wheels the ride will change, it won't be worse in all conditions but it will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back