Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Connectors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ron350
I hope you replaced both o-rings in the connector the back one is the toughest.

uh oh ............ I only found one o-ring in there.
shocked2.gif

There are 2 o-rings in each fuel line connector on your car.

The front o-ring is usually yellow and the back o-ring is usually tan. There is a white spacer between the two o-rings that slides around when both o-rings are removed.

You remove both o-rings with a pick.
Pull the white spacer forward with a pick.
Push the new viton o-ring past the white spacer into the grove with a something that will not scratch.
Carefully push the white spacer back against the rear o-ring and then install the front new viton o-ring.
Take a wooden or plastic dowel and press down on the o-rings and make sure they are seated.

Then you can lubricate the installed o-rings with your choice of oil or silicone. I give them a little shot of 3M silicone spray just before connecting it to the fuel line.

It is hard to replace these o-rings on the car that is why I suggested practicing on a spare connector on your workbench.

Wq9bHzc.jpg

OK -- looking down into connector there was a Tan stripe and a Yellow stripe. The Tan stripe was definitely one of the o-rings and I got it out. The Yellow stripe had me puzzled because it was very hard and it wasn't moving. It felt plastic like the rest of the connector. I thought is was some kind of backup ring or something. The o-ring I put in there to replace the Tan o-ring was a Black Viton o-ring. If I had it to do over again, I would've got a Tan o-ring because they are so much easier to see against the very dark background. Getting the Tan o-ring out with a 90 degree pick wasn't too hard, but getting the new o-ring down in there was an astronomical difficult task with a pocket screwdriver.

I kept wishing that I could grab ahold of the o-ring so that I could pull up on it when it went past the groove. What I ended up doing is getting one side of the o-ring into the groove and hoping it would stay there while I was trying to get the other side of the o-ring into the groove. I finally managed to get both sides of the o-ring into the groove and then the o-ring expanded and got comfortable in its new home.

ron350 -- I sent an e-mail off to Dorman:

Quote:
Vance Pendleton
To: [email protected]
Dorman Fuel Line Connector 800-059

Hi,

Can you tell me how many o-rings the 800-059 fuel line connector has?

Thank You!

Quote:
Jim Squiccimara
To: Vance Pendleton, Techline Marketing
RE: Dorman Fuel Line Connector 800-059

I only see one oring inside that fitting.

Thank you

I sent that e-mail because I wanted to be absolutely certain how many o-rings I was dealing with before I disconnect that connector again. When I was probing around with the pick, I only felt one o-ring slot, not two. The new o-ring that I put in there seems to be working so far because the fuel leak has stopped.
21.gif

ron350 -- Thanks again for all your help.
smile.gif

May be your car has a different connector with only one o-ring.

That must be a California thing because every connector I have looked at has two (2) o-rings inside.

I have also used the Dorman 800-300 repair toolkit and all the connectors in the kit have two o-rings.

tlETcr4.jpg

ron350 -- I'm not a hundred percent convinced that there's one o-ring. I plan on making a trip to the parts store to see for myself. You may be right about this whole thing after all. I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back