best tool for stuck oil filters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart sells a Fram branded adjustable oil filter wrench, and it is exactly like the Lisle Tools 63600 mentioned in this thread. The Lisle is/was made in USA, and the Fram is made in China. Can't remember the exact price, but the Fram was about $6.00, and it works very good.

For what ever reason, every time I do a search for the Fram filter wrench at Walmart, I can not find it, but there it is in the store every time I go there. I can't find it on Amazon or Ebay either. I am thinking it's some kind of Walmart exclusive.

Anyway, I don't know if this is a deal between Fram and Lisle, or the patent has expired. All I do know is the Fram China made clone works very good, and it costs about half of the Lisle.

Last edited:
I use one like the Lisle, though mine will crush the can, but who cares. It is spring loaded so it holds onto the filter while you get your 3/8" wrench in there. Most of the time I can loosen it with my hand, if I was the last to do the oil change.

I have the craftsman one too. Never really used it successfully. Its too flippy floppy and wont hold onto the filter on its own.

Lisle-style or appropriate filter cap wrench for me!

Originally Posted By: columnshift
It's not me! (usually) It's doing friends oil changes and such - the knuckleheads at the quickie-lube must stick them on with an air wrench or something. >_
When I put them on my normal routine was always to first smear oil on the filter gasket itself, and then go hand tight, and then tighten 1/2 turn past this.

Despite never going more than 1/2 turn past hand tight (maybe I have really strong hands??) and oiling the seal I not infrequently have a struggle getting them back off.

Woah whoah woah! You go until gasket just barely touches mating surface then +1/2 turn, not tight as you can get it with your hands then +1/2 turn.

Originally Posted By: linksep
Originally Posted By: columnshift
It's not me! (usually) It's doing friends oil changes and such - the knuckleheads at the quickie-lube must stick them on with an air wrench or something. >_
When I put them on my normal routine was always to first smear oil on the filter gasket itself, and then go hand tight, and then tighten 1/2 turn past this.

Despite never going more than 1/2 turn past hand tight (maybe I have really strong hands??) and oiling the seal I not infrequently have a struggle getting them back off.

Woah whoah woah! You go until gasket just barely touches mating surface then +1/2 turn, not tight as you can get it with your hands then +1/2 turn.

+1 Been doing it this way my whole life without any issues ever. I can remove them by hand as well.

Geez, I was told a 1/4 turn past snug on a well oiled gasket. Cars had screens, basket filters or none on my first cars. Cartridge filters are sooooo easy. BTW, in 40 odd yrs of doing my own oil changes, I have never had a filter back off unless I backed it off by hand or with a tool of some sort. I have gnawed off the body and element and started the base with drift and a hammer along the way. Less is better for tightening. I think the heat cycling and the vibration tends to tighten stuff on an engine. I have evolved to the point of acquiring a few wrenches. But best is a hand tight filter
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back