Radiators - Spectra vs TYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

any opinions one vs other ... no specific application.

Thx

All I can add is that I have been using a higher line Spectra in the Nissan for the past two years and so far so good. I looked out in the shop at the place I was getting the OE radiator flushed and filled back then and saw the tech had the full antifreeze bottle leaning/standing up in the radiator inlet and knew that he had probably cracked the plastic tank. He did. They paid for the radiator but at the time I was unwilling to pay the extra for a Koyo which IIRC was about double the cost and just not worth it in a car so old. We'll see if that logic stands the test of time.

Spectra doesn't like to crimp the tanks on well,always check the crimps.Jeep Wranglers seem the worst for it.

Between the 2 choices, I would go TYC.
I work at a body shop, we install a lot of rads. We avoid the Spectras, installed a couple that barely lasted a year.

we've been buying most of our rads and condensers from a company called 1-800 Radiator, great service and prices if there is one in your area.

Originally Posted By: Hamburgler
Doesn't TYC manufacture a lot of radiators for Koyo, and Koyo is OE for Toyota?
I don't know if TYC makes radiators for Koyo.

Koyo made some Toyota radiators, but most were made by Denso. They both develop cracks at the upper end tank after 7-12 years.

I only knew Koyo from when more hardcore friends went turbo and upgraded everything. Their all aluminum racing radiators are top drawer but they also sell lower lines.

Originally Posted By: cronk
Between the 2 choices, I would go TYC.
I work at a body shop, we install a lot of rads. We avoid the Spectras, installed a couple that barely lasted a year.

we've been buying most of our rads and condensers from a company called 1-800 Radiator, great service and prices if there is one in your area.

Me too, on both points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back