GM new crate engine versus Jasper/ remanufactured

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 GMC Savana 1500 van with 5.7 liter Vortec needs new engine. Shop that will be replacing the engine suggested Jasper remanufactured engine, because of the 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. Looking into Jasper, I found some consumer complaints online. I also discovered that I could buy a new GM crate engine for this van (LS31) for under $2000 shipped. This is less than the cost of a Jasper.

Mechanic says to check on nationwide warranty with GM crate engine. He also thinks remanufactured engines may have updates/improvements over OEM engines.

Any experience with this engine with remanufactured versus new crate OEM? I hear the OEM is made in Mexico. I want what is going to hold up.

A lot of OEM components are made in Mexico. Every GM wiring harness is made by a Japanese outfit in Mexico... American Yazaki. I have hauled dozens of loads of wiring harnesses from the border to various GM plants over the years. My 2015 2500 L96 6.0L is made in Salito. It is rated as one of the best engines GM has produced. It has a solid track record of reliability and durability.

The model of semi truck I have was either built in N. Carolina or Mexico. After getting mine in, and the dealer having to spend 2 weeks fixing problems from the factory, they then told me they were keeping their fingers crossed that my truck would come from Mexico, and they seem to have fewer issues with the trucks built there. Mine was built in N. Carolina. Seems the guys there were more concerned with bass fishing, getting a beer at Hooters and watching a game than actually putting diligence into building the truck.

I am the last person to buy into the "if it is made in Mexico it won't hold up" nonsense. And truth be told, very few of GM's motor internals are made by GM. Most components of the engines comes from outsourced suppliers.

But to your point, I have generally been fond of OEM crate motors as opposed to third party reman, unless it was the original OEM that did the reman. I use reman engines frequently, but they are always OEM reman versions.

Jasper is a good engine; but almost overpriced. I would go with the GM crate motor. no matter how good the rebuild, you cant beat new

Get the Gm crate engine, I work at shop that uses jasper and they are overpriced for what they are.
Plus if something does happen with the jasper they can be a pain to get them to honor the warranty.

Go to a good engine shop that should be your best bet a new engine is more than $2000.00 they may be selling you a short block. Forget jasper they are overpriced. What went wrong with the original engine? What price are they giving you to do the work?

If you buy the engine and something goes wrong with it you may have to pay for the labor. Don't forget its a 2001 a salvage yard engine may be the way to go price wise. I mention this when someone comes in to my engine shop with an older vehicle and don't want to spend the money on a rebuilt. There are a lot of those engines out there and they are good running in most cases.

Can your old engine be Rebuilt? In many cases it isn't a terrible idea to completely overhaul the original engine if it hasn't failed catastrophically.

Just a thought. Nothing wrong with Jasper Engines, however if a New GM replacement is cheaper that is a no brainier.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
A lot of OEM components are made in Mexico. Every GM wiring harness is made by a Japanese outfit in Mexico... American Yazaki. I have hauled dozens of loads of wiring harnesses from the border to various GM plants over the years. My 2015 2500 L96 6.0L is made in Salito. It is rated as one of the best engines GM has produced. It has a solid track record of reliability and durability.

The model of semi truck I have was either built in N. Carolina or Mexico. After getting mine in, and the dealer having to spend 2 weeks fixing problems from the factory, they then told me they were keeping their fingers crossed that my truck would come from Mexico, and they seem to have fewer issues with the trucks built there. Mine was built in N. Carolina. Seems the guys there were more concerned with bass fishing, getting a beer at Hooters and watching a game than actually putting diligence into building the truck.

I am the last person to buy into the "if it is made in Mexico it won't hold up" nonsense. And truth be told, very few of GM's motor internals are made by GM. Most components of the engines comes from outsourced suppliers.

But to your point, I have generally been fond of OEM crate motors as opposed to third party reman, unless it was the original OEM that did the reman. I use reman engines frequently, but they are always OEM reman versions.

When I use to truck, I hauled plenty of the Freightliner cabs--no frame or motor-out of Cleveland, NC and some out of Mt. Holly, NC to a Laredo drop yard that was going to Mexico.

@OP

I have a Jasper engine with about 80k that still runs good.

As long as the block is good, price a rebuild job on it at a local automotive machine shop.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of experience with the L31 - great motor overall, and not exactly the 'same as since 1955'. They're 4-bolt main blocks, hypereutectic pistons, and of course the 'vortec' heads and intake setup. What happened, did it pop a HG and hydroloc the motor? Intake gasket problems?

Depending on your situation, I'd strongly consider rebuilding the engine you have. Very rarely do the blocks themselves have issues.

You list yourself as California. If you're anywhere near Escondido you should contact MJM.

MJM Engines, Inc.
Escondido, CA

Lots of people around here use them. They have all the modern equipment tools and they do a good job. They have a good warranty, too. And they will do custom additions and modifications at reasonable prices. If they do the R&R you can exchange accessories for new or rebuilt replacements like starters and other components they remove for no additional labor. It's a chance to update the stuff under the hood at the cost of the parts.

They rebuild a friend's 4x4 tree trimming boom truck's engine and tranny about 20 years ago and today it's still running with only regular maintenance. When they did the R&R they correctly replaced all the splash panels, beating several back into shape and used all new bolts and washers at no additional cost. They said it was part of doing the job right. If the manufacture installed splash panels they said they should be put back correctly. By the way, they cleaned them up and repainted them, too. A job well done by someone that cared about their work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea,GM improved the engine since 1955...changing the valve cover bolt pattern in 57 and they made an oil filter standard in the late 60s! Its amazing that you could have got a mid 60s base v8 with no oil filter! Everybody else was standard from the start.Actually the biggest changes was in 1987 when they went TBI,with different valve cover bolts,one piece rear main seal..... further changes mainly involved cylinder heads (Vortec) and going to different EFI systems.

The basic design of the 1955 GM engine is the same but the tolerances and metallurgy is different. I was told at the GM Powertrain Factory years ago that micro finishes are used and that leather gloves are use to assembly engines since a piece of lint would seize the engine.

I just ask the GM Engine people from the Tonawanda NY engine plant at a recent car show if the V8 I buy in a vehicle is different from an engine used in a commercial application as in Police or Taxi and they said no, they are the same. Years ago, they said they were different with stronger valves and different cams.

Last edited:
New GM crate engine without a doubt.

I'd even rather have a good low mile used factory engine over the rebuilt unit.

With a widely known and highly respected third generation machinist in our family we see it a bit differently.

I have seen the amazingly loose junk that escapes the manufacturers, and I'll take a professionally built engine any day over a factory crate motor....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back