Fram tough guard or napa gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will both filter motor oil.

The question is under what conditions, for how long of an interval, what's the condition of the engine, is cost a consideration?

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Which filter would be the better one?

Fram ToughGuard wins on ISO 4548-12 filtering efficiency, filters out smaller and more particles. NAPAgold is close behind, still a pretty good oil filter.

The TG will be reasonably more efficient; 99% vs 95%, at 20um at least.

Construction wise, they are similar. Glass enhanced media, silicone ADBV (at least in most applications), etc. Some will decry the "cardboard" in the TG, but they have no proof these are any real concern; it's imagined. In fact, after seeing my TGs taken apart, the seal on the fiber was STRONG and that endcap is "thicker" than one on a EG. Probably due to the longer stated service life target.

I would use either with no hesitation whatsoever. In fact, I do; the Wix and TGs are the two "go to" filters in my stash.

Last edited:
GO with the better deal. Both filters are likely very similar as to make a minimal difference. I like Wix because they are a semi-local company down the hill.

Just because this is in another thread I will keep it short.
Comparisons are tough as the language is "mixed.

Fram: 99% at particles greater than 20
Wix: 95% at particles at 20 microns

We don't have the exact number at 20 microns for Fram so it could be 99%, 97% 95% or less.

That comparison is out as it is apples to a unknown fruit that may or may not be apples.

The filtering effecientcy favors Fram slightly but I prefer the design & components of Napa Gold or Wix filters. From the compression spring to the threaded bypass (meaning bypassed oil never passes over the filter media, to the metal end caps, Napa or Wix uses better components. Fram uses a combination leaf spring & bypass valve which sits atop the filter, oil enters the filter and travels to the top over the filter media before going through the bypass valve. Leading to the possibility that some insolubles may go back into the oil system.

Motorcraft also uses a threaded bypass valve per Fords specification. The threaded bypass is more costly to manufacture, but is preferable imo, it also seems Ford agrees.

The air filter and intake duct seal is more important than which oil filter is used.

Originally Posted By: R80RS

The question is under what conditions, for how long of an interval, what's the condition of the engine, is cost a consideration?

This question should be included in all Brand A vs Brand B threads. I don't know why so many are quick to answer without giving consideration to application and OCI. (i.e. PC vs TG thread)

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
The filtering effecientcy favors Fram slightly but I prefer the design & components of Napa Gold or Wix filters. From the compression spring to the threaded bypass (meaning bypassed oil never passes over the filter media, to the metal end caps, Napa or Wix uses better components. Fram uses a combination leaf spring & bypass valve which sits atop the filter, oil enters the filter and travels to the top over the filter media before going through the bypass valve. Leading to the possibility that some insolubles may go back into the oil system.

I like your logic in the materials. Very good.

Just thought of a question...where does wix xp fall in this discussion? 95% at 20 microns? And rated for longer oci's?

Originally Posted By: R80RS

2000 miles in a 1972 ford pinto with 20w-50 weight API sg quakerstate conventional driven 32 miles twice a day in Hastings, Nebraska during the spring with temps 3.2 degrees above average.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics
Just thought of a question...where does wix xp fall in this discussion? 95% at 20 microns? And rated for longer oci's?

Ugh, no. Wix has repeatedly stated and publishes an absolutely abysmal 50% efficiency at 20 microns. It IS good for longer OCI's though.

In most normal situations your vehicle will not know the difference between the two.

With that said, I personally favor the NAPA Gold/Wix over the Fram TG due to the better construction of NAPA Gold/Wix filter. The Cardboard that Fram uses just doesn't do it for me. Due to the better construction of the filter, I believe the NAPA Gold/Wix will out perform the Fram TG when conditions are less than ideal and have a less potential for failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Ugh, no. Wix has repeatedly stated and publishes an absolutely abysmal 50% efficiency at 20 microns. It IS good for longer OCI's though.

Thanks KC. So 50% for the wix xp and 90% for the regular wix? Where do I find this info? Arrgh.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Wix filter is 2/20=6/20
Wix XP is b2=20
So a wix filters to 95% at 20 microns and 50% at 6 microns
Wix XP is considered for severe extreme duty. Wix clearly errors on the side of caution concerning flow with the conditions XP is intended for so it is b2=20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back