Looking to get a first dirtbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Knee guards

Something similar to this can save you a lot of pain. They're about 20 bucks for a decent set at practically any bike dealer.

Thanks.. Those look like they are well padded.

Speaking of knee guards I will curse bloody murder if I land wrong on left side. I had a surgery done on it last year February of '14...

So I will hopefully be extra careful if that is possible. Then again anything can happen when you least expect it or let your guard down then it's too late... I don't want to have another surgery on it.

Any helmets that y'all recommend? Brands i mean. Sales people I don't trust too much as they are selling for commission and more money in general.

As for helmets, go to any race track and you will see SNELL or better helmets. If you come to a track with a DOT helmet you can watch but not race. All my helmets(for the kids and wife too) are SNELL or better Like an old time racer told me years ago "If you have a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet" You can find SNELL approved helmets for under $100. My wife got hit by a left turning car and the doctors said she would have been dead if not for the helmet she had on.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I just picked up a 2015 RMZ450.

Thats not a "my first bike" type of bike for putting around a farm.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
As for helmets, go to any race track and you will see SNELL or better helmets. If you come to a track with a DOT helmet you can watch but not race. All my helmets(for the kids and wife too) are SNELL or better Like an old time racer told me years ago "If you have a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet" You can find SNELL approved helmets for under $100. My wife got hit by a left turning car and the doctors said she would have been dead if not for the helmet she had on.

ROD

Hope she's okay now. Sorry that she had to go through a bad wreck.

So if I had three good choices for less than $200 for a helmet which brand or is there certain special "kinds" for the kind of riding? I know that's a broad but stupid ? As I already know the jest of what out there, but anybody have any suggestions besides Snell?

I'll figure something out and get advice from a few people I know.

As for the guy posting about his first bike being that RMZ450.. Go have fun with it.

I'm not even close

Last edited:
Thought about what ALL of you said sbout not getting a too small of a powered bike as I would out grow it and want something better within 6mths or so.

Okay engine size and suspension travel for front and rear for trail/farm riding.

What should I really need for decent to great suspension travel for what some of you are getting the jest of what I am looking forward to...

I'm only 165lbs so I ain't getting heavier and I'm not getting any taller. So which is better to have more rear wheel travel or front ??? Or it's REALLY both ..

Farm use and dirt road/field riding. Not planning on jumping a lot of terraces in those fields unless one is just tempting my nerves...

I am wanting to have fun on two wheels not powered by me pedaling, but just want to have fun like most and I don't need a 2stroke yet I would love to find a bike that has both kick and electric start. Kick only would be more than fine with me as electric start. Having to start a bike in the woods with a battery dead or close to it would suck. So KICK STARTING is a must!!!

I'll check back by the end of the week to see what y'all have thought about what would be a good buy for me. I am also fine with getting one and then turning around and selling in less than a year or keeping it for friends and me getting a better bike for my "fun" needs.

Thanks again

I thought you were getting a TW200?

The other bikes like a TTR230 or TTR250 or DRZ250 do not have kickers. Then say the KLX300 which does have a kicker doesn't have a button. A CRF250X or WR250F both have e-start and a kicker like many KTMs ($).

I had a TTR250 which always lit off with the battery very reliably.

southernjeeper,

I mentioned suspension travel, not because you might go racing, but because quality suspension is what makes modern dirt bikes so capable. It's also a HUGE comfort factor. Short suspension travel results in a very harsh and nearly uncontrollable ride when things get bumpy.

My rule of thumb for new riders is a light weight dirt bike (as close to 200 pounds as possible) because they are much easier to ride. Once weight gets to 250 pounds or so, dirt bikes tend to "knife in" in sandy sections. Meaning the front wheel digs into the sand and handlebar loads increase, tight grip and strong arms required!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXyVp7iw10Q

Watch Steve McQueen ride a bike with poor suspension. He does a great job, but it's a tough slog. It's only acceptable on smooth surfaces.

Now watch a more modern bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRK-El-RMVM

I am not really a big fan of the TW200. It gets old very quickly. And, it's a harsh ride when speeds increase.

I still think a KDX 200 (or 220) would be a good choice. Very light, can be lowered easily, good plush suspension, quiet, reliable as a stone and so on. If girls can ride it, so can you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kE3inSbDNo

Last edited:
The KDX is good bike to enjoy riding, but not as putt-able as a little 4 stroke. Maybe the newer KDX's are quieter and mellower, but I had an 84 IT200 and it was up a couple notches on intensity over a DT200, or even the XR200. Loudish and stinky too, its not a mountain bike with a motor type of machine, as its still spinning the back tire at 55mph.
The OP might try out a 1990's DT50, it is a 2 stroke but with LC and road silencer, I think its the quietest bike I've ever rode. http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_dt_50_1990.php
I'm surprised to see that its 217 lbs though, felt lighter than that.
I started with a CT110 with a low range and it was a go anywhere you could walk, at walking speed, type of bike. It could go up a set of stairs on walking trails with ease and near silence as well. I wish I had kept it as its a good bike to putt along and look at the scenery instead of the trail.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The KDX is good bike to enjoy riding, but not as putt-able as a little 4 stroke. Maybe the newer KDX's are quieter and mellower,

On that I disagree. The KDX has a very wide torque curve and will put around all day long. With every bit as much capability as a little 4 stroke, and it's lighter. Plus, they are very quiet. The 1984 variety of KDX and IT were air cooled and miserable little beasts. I'm not suggesting one of those.

I am suggesting a newer, water cooled KDX 200.

This coming week if not tomorrow I'm checking out a '16 tw200

But if I need to go check out the KDX somewhere I'll go check one or more out and see what I think.

Remember kick is a must! Having both is convience and luxury I say of a dirtbike.

The only reasoning why I said great with the tw200 is that for what I think I have read about it and seen other reviews on a few websites. It's a good beginner bike that can do both. It's not made for speed and quality of ride. But will get to where you hope it can get you where some bikes will bog down.

So now KDX and the tw200.

Before I check wouldn't a fail safe battery like the Lithum ion batteries battery tender sells among other companies or a motorcycle version of the optima red top be in a size for bikes?

Does anyone have one or heard of anyone running one? I have a a yellow top in my cherokee and the red is in the willys.

Might as well put a optima AGM that is more than reliable in my first bike. Because I don't want to be stranded if I can't get a bike that is a great deal yet no kickstarter..

I don't want to be where I'll be taking a bike all to be cursing if something electrical happens and I got to walk out. OR is it possible to bumpstart a bike if that's the proper way of saying it?

I have also read that KDX bikes have to keep revs up? High I mean to keep speed at a minimum? A bike for me will be used primarily going 15mph for poking around in the woods then for 30-45mph on road. I don't need a fast bike at all. That's for later if I want.

Edit---
I just looked at a site that has lists of used bikes.... The KDXs of the yester years one be in my budget to get one much sooner. Then hopefully by August or September sometime I'll be having fun on one going through tanks of gas all the time..

Thanks on that recommendation. So KDX 200 to 250 would suit me well?

Last edited:
Yes, you can bumpstart any clutch dirt bike that the previous owner didn't install an autoclutch so don't fret the battery too much if no kickstarter.

As I mentioned earlier the KDXs to consider are the

95-06 KDX200
-and-
97-05 KDX220.

KDX250 ceased production in 1994 I believe. It's heavier, taller, and more difficult to locate parts for. If you're gonna go KDX then I suggest the 220 for what you've listed.

TW200 or XT225 if you're seriously going to be riding many many paved miles in addition to your farm riding.

Southern,

Also remember that 2 stroke engines FIRE ever time the piston comes up. That means they SOUND like they are revving. They SOUND twice as high in RPM as a 4 stroke.

The reality is that 4 stroke engines actually rev higher, and per displacement make LESS TORQUE.

Here is a graph worth looking at. Notice the 4 stroke YZ400 makes less torque and revs higher than the 2 stroke KTM 380.

zm1lw1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think the IT200 was miserable, I'm sure a LC KDX200 is a bit quieter, but I imagine the power characteristics aren't much different. Wheelies in 1st practically from idle speed, and around 30hp of fun. Not the 12hp and low seat height of a 200 big wheel.
Anyways, the OP will know if the KDX is for him after a run through the gears, its a great bike, just not perhaps what he's looking for.

Saw the tw200 today as well as the XT250.

Seat was very comfortable and suspension give was great just seated in it. The friend I mentioned in a previous post told me over the phone that I can always lower the front and rear some more if I want a little wiggle room for more softer ride and lower seat.

Now that I have talked to a very informative sales associate about the difference in the two. And thought about for the past few hours... I think I will change my way of thinking that I would want to Tw200 to do more but is limited. More country road and some dirt THAN 75% dirt or half with the XT250. Which I may tell some of you is fuel injected so year around easier starting.

New with tax is 6100. The one year warranty I believe is included. They have a four year warranty on everything which is offered.

If I really lean to NOW wanting and getting the XT. I don't think I will out grow its capabilities anytime over the next year or two...

What's sad is they had a used XT bought from the original buyer all because urge was being deployed. Salesman didn't say which year model but they just sold it not long ago. He then got my contact info in case another like that bike comes in. Heck if they are still under warranty and just two or 3yrs old or even just under a year.. I'll bite.

Plus he said they see more of the XT's than the TW200s because like I have found on researching about them is that not necessarily good/great at one particular thing. They're just a bike in its own little nitch for people interested enough in buying. Like me. Still could and they said after so many payments they could trade/buy back so I wouldn't have to sell on my own as they could buy back and I'll start paying on the XT bike.

The friend said go with the bigger bike as he agrees with yall that I wouldn't want to get a bike too small that I would need to sell in 6mths because my skill will be better then....

XT250 fans out there? Or do I need to start a new thread on that particular bike?

Plus the greatest thing about the XT is its BLUE. Living where I am blue is an excellent color as of which football team I root for!!!

Later.

The XT is a poor dirt bike at nearly 300 pounds wet. It's a good "around town" street bike. Low quality suspension components with only 7 inches travel in back, and there are some rumors the engine is Chinese.

I'm not saying it's not a fun bike. Or that it's unreliable. It is both fun and reliable. But, it's overweight, has sub par components and you may find other bikes to be much more satisfying after a few rides.

$6100 for an XT is a lot of dough. A new Honda CRF250L is $4999 and also fuel injected.

No reason to buy new to get into your first foray into "dirt biking". Find an XT225 for way less money used. Very reliable and lighter weight than the XT250. Seems you're looking for a dual sport trail bike now vs. a "dirt bike". If you read that the XT225 is cold blooded and runs lean - you're right. Easy to rejet and provides good throttle response. Not sure another $4K is necessary for F.I. Yamaha made them from 92-07. They should be easy to re-sale after you decide it's too small power wise. Great chuggy motor for slow speed trail riding. I was wheelying it over logs barely using the clutch to loft the wheel but alas the bike is WAY too small physically for me (I'm 6'2").

Now that is a downward spiral. It did seem like too much weight for a dual purpose. And yes I would consider a more comfortable seat and setting than strictly on dirt. Since I might have the chance to relocate for a better job I wouldn't be able to drive a true dirt bike to work for a short trip commute. That's why I looked at the XT. They didn't have that Honda in stock. I more incline to sticking with a Honda as I have a '91 fourtrax 4wd that I absolutely love having at the farm.

Plus there are a few more Honda dirt bikes around I see than yamahas anyhow from time to time.

Is Honda better in a way over the yamaha? Since the price is a huge difference and weight?

The day I looked at the true dirt bikes that Honda offers they didn't have one of size if I remember but they did just sell a crf230L or 250L that you are talking about.

Again the XT felt really heavy and I would hate to have to set it right side up every so often. I hope I don't have to that much ever, but you never know.

Now I'll go check out what dealers nearby havevthe dual sport Honda and see how that goes. New = warranty.

Used = you have no idea what gremlins are wrong with it that the seller won't tell you what's wrong with it or worn out or how they didn't maintain it.

The warranty speaks volumes for me. Plus if and when I do get a bike I will not consider selling it in less than 6mths or so as I'm not a quiter when it comes to certain things.

Thanks you two shrubitup & cujet

Last edited:
Now that is a downward spiral. It did seem like too much weight for a dual purpose. And yes I would consider a more comfortable seat and setting than strictly on dirt. Since I might have the chance to relocate for a better job I wouldn't be able to drive a true dirt bike to work for a short trip commute. That's why I looked at the XT. They didn't have that Honda in stock.

Is Honda better in a way over the yamaha? Since the price is a huge difference and weight?

The day I looked at the true dirt bikes that Honda offers they didn't have one of size if I remember but they did just sell a crf230L or 250L that you are talking about.

Again the XT felt really heavy and I would hate to have to set it right side up every so often. I hope I don't have to that much ever, but you never know.

Now I'll go check out what dealers nearby havevthe dual sport Honda and see how that goes. New = warranty.

Used = you have no idea what gremlins are wrong with it that the seller won't tell you what's wrong with it or worn out or how they didn't maintain it.

The warranty speaks volumes for me. Plus if and when I do get a bike I will not consider selling it in less than 6mths or so as I'm not a quiter when it comes to certain things.

Thanks you two shrubitup & cujet

Edit a 2015 XT250 wet weight is 291#
The Honda 250L is 320#

So it's a matter of picking the best deal then.

I don't need the BEST for now. I just want a nice medium or to my happiness a fun "chugging" around the farm or town when I want to.

It would be funny to get one or the other then switch sides because something doesn't feel quite right while having driven for awhile. That being the 6mths or really just a month.

The other reason why a dual sport over strict dirt bike is now that I'm interested in being able to drive both town and dirt when I want to without being limited to one or the other.
That's my logic now.
In the beginning of this thread I thought DIRT. Now I want something that can do both and get me from point A to point B without much fuss or drawbacks.

Again should I start s new thread about dual sports? Honda yamaha or Kawasaki ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back