Oil Filter for 2004 VW GTI 1.8T AWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Amsoil EAO filters in this vehicle because they have a synthetic element. However, Amsoil has not been consistent about which filter they recommend for this vehicle.

They were recommending the EAO37 which cross-references to the WIX 51393. Then they switched to the EAO34 which cross-references to the WIX 51516. They switched back to the EAO37, but now that filter is no longer available. The recommended MANN filter is the W 719/30.

The WIX 51393 is similar in specification to the MANN W 719/30. However, the WIX 51516 has a lower bypass pressure of 8-11 psi instead of 30 psi for the WIX 51393. The MANN filter has a bypass pressure of 2.5 bar, which converts to 36 psi. Also, the gasket for the WIX 51516 is not the same size as the gaskets for the WIX 51393 and the MANN W 719/30. Based on the lower bypass pressure and the different gasket size, I question whether the EAO34 / WIX 51516 is the correct filter for this vehicle.

I'm looking for an alternative filter with a synthetic element. The only one I found is the Bosch L3421. Are there any other alternatives?

You have plenty of options
smile.gif

Wix's website says the 51393, so the 51516 is not correct.
Wix does have the XP line of synthetic filters.
So you may like the 51393XP or Napa Platinum 41393

Also remember that Bosch Long Life = Purolator Synthetic, so the PSL20252 will also work and be more widely available.

Bosch also has the D+ D3421

Fram Ultra XG2870A

M1-205

The Wix 51516 is a Ford/Chrysler filter surprised it even fits your VW.

Just looked it up the particulars are very similar to the 51516 (an FL-400S equivalent) except the bypass is much higher as you said. I would not use the 51516 I'd bet it would be in bypass a lot on your engine. Not what you want.

I think Amsoil is cutting corners on you. As mentioned, the full synthetic Fram XG2870 is available and frankly is likely as good or better than the Amsoil for a lot less money.

Didn't VW spec oversized filters after the 1.8T Passat sludge debacle?

I'd screw on the biggest 3/4-16(same popular thread size as Ford/Mopar/Toyota/Suzuki and various engines) oil filter that would fit and not worry about the bypass setting. See if an EAO26 fits?

ph8a and ph3600 can be cross referenced to any brand's synthetic media equivalent.

If you have the room to fit it, the Mann 940/25 would be the one for your 1.8t. I will be running a cross ref to this filter in another brand on my Audi 2.7t when the last PH8994 is used up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Didn't VW spec oversized filters after the 1.8T Passat sludge debacle?

Yes, however the sludge fiasco did not affect the transverse 1.8T's (which the GTI has). The longitudinal layout had the pan interfering with the subframe, thus had to reduce the crankcase capacity. That's why a larger volume oil filter was spec'd for the longitudinal 1.8T's. Coupled with the turbo AND dealerships using Castrol GTX 5w30, instead of Syntec 5w40, it was a recipe for disaster (not to mention some looseness in the oil-spec requirements in the manual)

It's a VW. I would just get the Mahle filter for less than all those options you mentioned. It's probably even better than Wix or Amsoil Ea line of filters, and you know the Mahle will be well made (probably in Austria) and have the correct flow rate, and by-pass setting for your engine. Rockauto is a good place for Mahle filters (they have some nice M1-205's on clearance at $3.17 also). Or, you can get free shipping over $40 at amaliestore.com they have a full line of Mahle filters at very good prices (almost as low as rockauto).
here's their site:

http://amaliestore.com/shop/product-category/mahle-filters/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back