Honda V6 rear main seal leak - help with ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my wifes 2007 pilot seems to be leaking oil out rear main seal. I changed PCV and degreased engine thoroughly to trace leak. I'm getting close to adding something to oil to condition the seal and reduce or hopefully stop leak? Any suggestions on what not to do or what to do?

The best thing to do is replace the seal - but assuming that's too expensive to justify I'd start with a high mileage motor oil. Valvoline MaxLife and Pennzoil HM seem to work well for the folks here. MaxLife is a synthetic blend, Pennzoil is conventional. Either will take a while to work, perhaps the better part of an OCI.

If that doesn't work, add Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver to the HM oil. This also has a great reputation here. It comes in a 300 ml can that is the normal dose per OCI, but once the leak is controlled the dosage may be reduced or even eliminated.

Good luck!

I'd try MaxLife in 5W-30. I once had a Dodge Dakota that would leak on "normal" oil, but the leak would pretty much stop with MaxLife.

Thanks for the quick repies. I have never used a additive to a motor before. All though the Honda has almost 100k on it. You know it should be good for another 100k with some TLC..
So, I'm hesitant to use a additive with out know if there are long term effects.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If I was going to have the vehicle for many more miles, I would fix it with a new seal. Ed

+13

The dip stick is reading barely over the lower line. So, it's not over filled. I'm not 100% on whether the PCV system is working correctly though. When filler cap is off I'm not sensing any vacuum at all.

Hmmmm I'm surprised a vehicle that is only 8 years old (if it's the one listed in your sig) and it has leak. I've been around much older vehicles with many more miles without oil leaks.

But like everyone else said, obviously the ideal solution would be to replace it but even I would't do that so I can't recommend you do it. I'd just use a HM oil and keep an eye on the level over the course of the OCI. Snag a piece of cardboard and put under the engine to catch it and throw it away when it's gross.

That'd be all I would do.

Jeez, unless it's pouring out, just throw some MaxLife red bottle in and top off as necessary. Rebuilding and tearing apart 8 yr old, 100k mile grocery getters for a little oil leak is nuts IMO. But some people just enjoy killing a weekend, getting their hands dirty and keeping parts stores profitable. Who am I to judge?

Originally Posted By: bigt61
But some people just enjoy killing a weekend, getting their hands dirty and keeping parts stores profitable. Who am I to judge?

Guilty as charged. Working on a car, like I tell my woman, is a man's therapy.

...or a woman's therapy..not trying to offend the females around here...
smile.gif

Last edited:
This paticular engine is notorios for leaking at the rear main seal. It is the first Honda of many that I have owned to do this also. So, I'm researching as much as possible before diving underneth the truck and going ape [censored] on it. Seperating the trans from the motor is obviously the last thin I car to do.

Originally Posted By: 392HEMI
This paticular engine is notorios for leaking at the rear main seal. It is the first Honda of many that I have owned to do this also. So, I'm researching as much as possible before diving underneth the truck and going ape [censored] on it. Seperating the trans from the motor is obviously the last thin I car to do.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to do that either. It's a shame how one little thing like a seal can cause a headache for thousands, more like 10's of thousands, of owners. Tisk tisk.

Originally Posted By: Throt

I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to do that either. It's a shame how one little thing like a seal can cause a headache for thousands, more like 10's of thousands, of owners. Tisk tisk.
wow, a little oil seep is your biggest headache?

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Originally Posted By: Throt

wow, a little oil seep is your biggest headache?

Ha! No it's not my biggest headache. My biggest headache is the 100K I owe in student loans
smile.gif

But I was just making a point that such a small little decision that a car producer make leads to a MINOR headache for many many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back