Who makes a fluid for 8 speed Ram 1500?

Looking to pick some extra fluids to keep in the garage. The manual says Mopar ZF 8&9 speed ATF.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or is it a dealer only fluid?

Only reason to keep on hand is if you are going to change it if you have to add you have bigger problem.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Looking to pick some extra fluids to keep in the garage. The manual says Mopar ZF 8&9 speed ATF.

The Mopar 8/9 speed ATF is otherwise known as ZF Lifeguard 8 and can be purchased either online or at Chrysler parts depts. If you Google it you should locate the product easily. I would suggest that you use the real thing and not some 'recommended for' product for that application.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Woah! $27 a quart !!!

Yes, it's not cheap, but I would strongly advise anyone that only this correct ZF approved fluid should be used in this application.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Wanna do business with an Ohio company and use a US product.

Try this.

I don't think RLI has an ATF product for this application.

I'm not sure what I would do if I had this car, but it sure is interesting when the Redline and Amsoil alternatives are 1/2 or less the cost of the OEM. Wow, expensive stuff!!!

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Woah! $27 a quart !!!

Yes, it's not cheap, but I would strongly advise anyone that only this correct ZF approved fluid should be used in this application.

Times a dozen! I have one and am shopping already!

Hmmm, a bit of a translation snafu?
grin2.gif

Quote:
RAVENOL ATF 8HP Fluid is a automatic transmission oil ATF of the latest generation for all 8 stroke automatic transmissions of ZF. It guarantees in any mode for maximum wear protection. RAVENOL ATF 8HP Fluid is green colored.

I believe most auto transmissions not of the CVT type are properly referred to as, "Step Shift' Transmissions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Manual says no service recommended so I have no intention of ever touching mine.

Well, yes, it may say that but remember your manual was written by a collaboration of the Marketing and Service departments.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Manual says no service recommended so I have no intention of ever touching mine.

Brave man!
While Dodge, VW/Audi, BMW etc. manuals are saying that it is lifetime fluid, ZF, a manufacturer of tranny says every 60-75K.
Your call!

Originally Posted By: surfingcardiff
MolaKule:

Do you have a recommendation for the Dodge Ecodiesel's ATF fluid? Would you recommend AMSOIL's ATL, ZF's Lifeguard 8 or another brand?

Thank you.

Go with ZF. You should not do flush as you know, so why mixing fluids because you will have old fluid left inside. Basically when you change filter/pan and fluid, you are refreshing fluid not completely changing.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

Available anytime from my man Brian at BND. Cheaper and custom made to the spec. he can also get you a great deal on the pan (required).

Back