15K changed my CVT fluid on my new Honda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my second engine oil change on my 2014 Civic. 15,000 on it, bought it June 30 of 2014. My Honda mechanic neighbor said to drain what CVT fluid I could and put new in. I drained 2.5 qts, and put in 3.0 qts.

Before the oil change it seemed to be slipping a tiny bit. With the new fluid it doesn't seem to slip anymore and the shift points are sharper. He said the fluid burns pretty easy.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I did my second engine oil change on my 2014 Civic. 15,000 on it, bought it June 30 of 2014. My Honda mechanic neighbor said to drain what CVT fluid I could and put new in. I drained 2.5 qts, and put in 3.0 qts.

Before the oil change it seemed to be slipping a tiny bit. With the new fluid it doesn't seem to slip anymore and the shift points are sharper. He said the fluid burns pretty easy.

You are speaking of the insinuated shift points right? because CVT's are shift-less. Either way I give you a +1 on doing an early change, its a good idea and never hurt anything.

I'm half shocked no one is jumping down your throat for changing your fluid at such low miles.

I for one am a fresh fluid guy myself. Everything on my car gets changed fairly often. Everything is fresh. And it runs FANTASTIC.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
I'm half shocked no one is jumping down your throat for changing your fluid at such low miles.

I for one am a fresh fluid guy myself. Everything on my car gets changed fairly often. Everything is fresh. And it runs FANTASTIC.

The only fluid on my cars that are fresh is the oil and they run fantastic, too.

I'm more shocked that the OP claims there is a noticeable difference in shift smoothness after changing the fluid on a practically brand new car.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I thought the '14 civic had a 6 speed auto or 6MT? 2015 is the new CVT, AFAIK.

The Civic CVT started in 2014.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Does the Amsoil CVTs fluid meet your spec? Is supposed to be top of the line stuff.

I think(but I'm not so sure) all Honda CVT transmissions use same fluid, if Amsoil CVT meets Honda spec then may be I will try it in my daughter 2014 Accord LX.

Amsoil Transmission and Gear fluids are very good, they are a little costly but those fluids are changed only every 3-4 years, so extra cost of few dollars doesn't matter much over long run.

Good OP. I took my Subaru to the dealership at 10K and had the same thing done with 9 quarts replaced, which included dropping the pan and cleaning out the oil strainer.

I changed the front and rear differential fluid at 5K and a lot of craap came out of both. Even more craap was in the CVT so I'm glad to have gotten all that junk outta there at low miles.

The car was noticeably quieter after the CVTF change. I just did all three myself at 60K. I used Valvoline Full Synthetic CVTF which I got for $1/qt at Autozone last year. This fluid also specs Honda HCF-2 and so does Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Which CVT fluid did you use ? If you use Honda CVT fluid how much did you pay ?

Thanks

HCF-2 purchased at Honda dealership for $9.99 a qt. I think they gave me jobber pricing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Why did you put back more than you drained?

Because it was 1/2 qt low. According to my Honda mechanic neighbor, that's normal.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I used Valvoline Full Synthetic CVTF which I got for $1/qt at Autozone last year. This fluid also specs Honda HCF-2 and so does Amsoil.

It good to know Valvoline Full Synthetic CVT fluid is usable in place of Honda HCF-2
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Which CVT fluid did you use ? If you use Honda CVT fluid how much did you pay ?

Thanks

HCF-2 purchased at Honda dealership for $9.99 a qt. I think they gave me jobber pricing.

Thanks. $10/qt isn't bad. $30 every 3-4 years isn't bad at all.

How in the world did you get the Valvoline for $1/qt. ?

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Good OP. I took my Subaru to the dealership at 10K and had the same thing done with 9 quarts replaced, which included dropping the pan and cleaning out the oil strainer.

I changed the front and rear differential fluid at 5K and a lot of craap came out of both. Even more craap was in the CVT so I'm glad to have gotten all that junk outta there at low miles.

The car was noticeably quieter after the CVTF change. I just did all three myself at 60K. I used Valvoline Full Synthetic CVTF which I got for $1/qt at Autozone last year. This fluid also specs Honda HCF-2 and so does Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: deanm11
How in the world did you get the Valvoline for $1/qt. ?

It was a December to remember. Right before Christmas last year, Autozone had quarts of synthetic oil and transmission fluid for $1 and 5 quart jugs for $5.

$1/qt_at_autozone

So many complain about their transmissions. Its good to see that some are proactive. Checking the level or servicing the transmission is too much for the majority of owners.

Hope that the current fill lasts longer than the break-in fill. If not, drain/refill when you notice, feel, hear... any issues with that cvt.

Cvts aren't always shiftless. Some offer steps now, simulated shift point ratios. Makes me worry about the wear at the overused cvt pseudo ratios. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back