Using OEM scissor jack with jack stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything wrong with using the OEM scissor jack to lift the car for maintenance work, as long as good quality jack stands and wheel chocks are used? I only need to jack up the car maybe once a year, so it doesn't make much sense for me to spend $100+ on a good floor jack like the Arcan HJ2500.

a steel floor jack is only around 20~30bux, and then get a pair of cheep jack stands for around 80bux.

That's all you need for safe operation.

Scissor jack that came with the car (as emergency car jack) is dangerous, and will easily flipped when pushed (which car jacked up).

If you value your life as much as I do, get a steel floor jack at least.

Q.

My Costco Arcan aluminum floor jack for $100.00 was the best $100.00 I ever spent. Safety FIRST!!!!

Originally Posted By: Quest
a steel floor jack is only around 20~30bux, and then get a pair of cheep jack stands for around 80bux.

That's all you need for safe operation.

Scissor jack that came with the car (as emergency car jack) is dangerous, and will easily flipped when pushed (which car jacked up).

If you value your life as much as I do, get a steel floor jack at least.

Q.

So it's still considered unsafe to use the scissor jack even if you are putting the car on jack stands?

Last edited:
While jackstands might be safe for supporting the car, the act of lifting it using the scissor jack is not something I'd consider safe. They are both weak and unstable. Something designed to be used in an emergency situation and easily stored.

Harbor freight has a couple sub $100 floor jack to choose from. FWIW I've had mine for 4 years lifting everything from little subarus to F250s. I store mine with the handle "open"/fully counter clockwise

I have no problem raising a car with the supplied scissor jack at the factory lift locations. It was designed to lift the car and no manufacturer wants to risk getting sued. Just because it's an "emergency" does not make it an excuse to supply inadequate equipment.

Yea but it is hard to lift then put on jackstand as they are not to be put in jackstand and NO ONE EVER should be underneath the car without stands.

Last edited:
I've used scissor jacks to lift cars, trucks and tractors. Lift it up then support it properly. Don't leave the jack under to support it. Put the weight on the stands and remove the jack. I've done it many times and lived to tell the tale.

I got a 3 ton Duralast jack for $50 that works just fine and fits in my trunk. So if I have a flat tire I would obviously just use that which is WAY easier than scissor jack stand. And I use it to work on my car as well. It lifts my car with ease.

You will never get the supplied jack high enough in one lift to use it with jack stands. Minimum would be a 3-4 ton hydraulic bottle jack. 2x 4,6 or 8 wooden blocks are good to have when lifting too.

I bought a Steel and Aluminum Garage Jack from Canadian Tire when it was on sale for $130 IIRC.

Best investment ever.

Nice and secure lift, you can get the car on 4 Jack Stands without worry or fuss.

And it is "Dual Piston" so 5-6 pumps and the car is quite high.

I have to drive onto pieces of 2x4 to raise the car 2" to make getting the pad of the jack onto the front jack point easier (on the Honda Fit it is really deep in).

Best tool purchase ever.

I've done it when there was no other option. Definitely wouldn't recommend it for anything more than emergencies. A proper jack is so much faster, easier to position, and ultimately safer.

Using a scissor jack will just make you hate mechanic work. Slow.

The things come in handy when wrestling transmissions etc and you need six hands.

I have 3 or 4 scissor jacks holding up my sagging porch.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: AccordK24
it doesn't make much sense for me to spend $100+ on a good floor jack like the Arcan HJ2500.

A $30 Harbor Freight floor jack will be far safer and easier to use than a tire-changing jack.
The OE jack is meant ONLY as an emergency method of raising the vehicle sufficient to change a tire. It does not have the stability for use in repair and maintenance tasks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-compact-trolley-jack-68783.html
image_21039.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner ^^^^^^^^^^ !!!! This here is a doggone good choice. This picture above is a great choice.

Last edited:
You have to be careful in the jack you pick, single piston with a short handle, narrow, and fairly high might be tough to use.

Low profile dual piston jacks with very long handles are so easy to use you won't mind working on your car anymore.

Get the right jack for the kind of car you drive.

I partially obsoleted my floor jacks with this: www.ezcarlift.com

I have owned mine since '02, so amortized over time it has been a good purchase. I've always had small cars and this thing has made maintenance a breeze. For my big stuff I still do it the old fashioned way - high quality jacks and stands. If EZ car lift ever makes a heavy duty model for my big stuff, I'm in! Makes garage life so much better...

The timing of this thread is right on the money for me. 3 days ago my son showed up at my house to do some front suspension work on he Cadillac CTS. I couldn't find my usual screw jack so I used one of the OE scissor jacks from a Chrysler mini van. It was is excellent shape and we decided to use it. He was winding it up from a low [mostly collapsed position] and it required quite a bit of torque. It snapped if half. The long screwed joining both ends broke roughly in the middle. We had wooden safety blocks under the car so we were safe.

I was surprised. You would think there would be 2X safety factor build into their construction and a mini van is not a light vehicle. Bottom line is I don't trust them any more. CAUTION !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back